< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Considering upgrading myself from gun owner to gun carrier  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
Considering upgrading myself from gun owner to gun carrier
« on: December 03, 2015, 04:02:51 PM »
Ok, so I've been around guns since I was born, blah blah blah, etc.  I've never beyond just being Joe Shooter for a variety of reasons.  But I've been feeling more and more inclination towards getting my carry permit and having that option available in the event of Sudden Jihadi Syndrome or Sumdood deciding I'm an easy mark.  In that vein, I have a few questions.

Is there somewhere in the Lincoln/Omaha area where I can actually take a pistol for a test drive?  I know what feels good in my hand, but that doesn't necessarily translate to being a good shooter.  Honestly I've never shot a gun I didn't like, but I like some more than others.  RobertH's .357 LCP was a little more brisk in the recoil department than I enjoy.

If I pick up a pistol purchase card application in Sarpy county can I send it in to Lancaster county?  I work up in Omaha so I'm there most days, but I live in Lincoln.  Or can I download the form and send it in?  Having to do down to the Sheriff's office to get the form is, IMO, calculated to make it as inconvenient as possible.  Maybe we can look at getting that changed  as an incremental, low-hanging fruit goal.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Considering upgrading myself from gun owner to gun carrier
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 04:39:58 PM »
Ok, so I've been around guns since I was born, blah blah blah, etc.  I've never beyond just being Joe Shooter for a variety of reasons.  But I've been feeling more and more inclination towards getting my carry permit and having that option available in the event of Sudden Jihadi Syndrome or Sumdood deciding I'm an easy mark.  In that vein, I have a few questions.

Is there somewhere in the Lincoln/Omaha area where I can actually take a pistol for a test drive?  I know what feels good in my hand, but that doesn't necessarily translate to being a good shooter.  Honestly I've never shot a gun I didn't like, but I like some more than others.  RobertH's .357 LCP was a little more brisk in the recoil department than I enjoy.

If I pick up a pistol purchase card application in Sarpy county can I send it in to Lancaster county?  I work up in Omaha so I'm there most days, but I live in Lincoln.  Or can I download the form and send it in?  Having to do down to the Sheriff's office to get the form is, IMO, calculated to make it as inconvenient as possible.  Maybe we can look at getting that changed  as an incremental, low-hanging fruit goal.
I think it has to be your local and you have to do it in person. You can fill out the forum a head of time. Just go get it done I know it sucks but it's better than a 2 week wait after you fish out your cash.

I think big shots rents guns without a purchase permit... But that might of changed... I know Thunderalley requires a permit or a purchase permit.

Good luck! Going to a fun shop and getting your hands on differnt models might help narrow the field for you. Im partial to glocks but that's me!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 08:51:34 PM »
i would go to gun stores weather it's guns unlimited or any other store or range and see what guns feels good in your hand, if it don't feel good your not going to like how it feels when you fire it..  but remember if you want a CCW gun IMO think smaller where i own a Taurus pt99 full sized 9 mm it would not be a practical gun to try to carry concealed being a full sized 6"barreled gun so i carry a 3" beretta nano 9mm. a buddy and his wife both carry a small 380 for ccw. i got 9 mm because i all rdy owned a 9mm so i can use ammo i all rdy had. there are many well made small fire arms that you can see how / if you like the feel in your hand. all so notes single stack  and stagger shacked clips for the thickness of the gun for CCW IMO thin is better for conceal carry but to each his own and if you have LARGE hands you may want the thicker mag/handle size... while the gun is in your hand see if all the safety and releases are in comfortable locations. i carry the nano because it has none, no latches , releases, nothing to get hung up on a IWB holster . the nano's only safety  is  built in to the trigger safety "looks like a trigger sitting on the trigger . when seconds count why flip or have to remember to have to flip a safety. when in high stress will you remember to flip it?? personally if my finger gets in the trigger well i am shooting a 1/4 second later , and my finger will only be in the well because i fear for my life.

you can take a CHP/CCW class and barrow a weapon from a buddy for the range part of the class "but it is better to take the class with the gun you intend on carrying if you are not familiarly with hand guns" . then when you get your permit you can use the chp to buy any weapon you like "and give your self more time to look as it will take awhile to get". some gun ranges will let you fire there used guns in the range you buy the ammo and pay the per hr range fee etc. shots gun range will let you use there used guns for a fee.
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 09:07:29 PM »

that was a 38 SPL, but yea, it had quite some recoil.  my main carry piece is a M&P 40.

get your purchase permit in the county you reside in.  then hit up Big Shots or Thunder Alley and rent some guns.  they can always help you feel them out before testing.  of course, you can always ask here and see if anyone has the pistol you are looking for an see if they will let you fire a few rounds with it.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 09:13:21 PM »
i would go to gun stores weather it's guns unlimited or any other store or range and see what guns feels good in your hand, if it don't feel good your not going to like how it feels when you fire it..  but remember if you want a CCW gun IMO think smaller where i own a Taurus pt99 full sized 9 mm it would not be a practical gun to try to carry concealed being a full sized 6"barreled gun so i carry a 3" beretta nano 9mm. a buddy and his wife both carry a small 380 for ccw. i got 9 mm because i all rdy owned a 9mm so i can use ammo i all rdy had. there are many well made small fire arms that you can see how / if you like the feel in your hand. all so notes single stack  and stagger shacked clips for the thickness of the gun for CCW IMO thin is better for conceal carry but to each his own and if you have LARGE hands you may want the thicker mag/handle size... while the gun is in your hand see if all the safety and releases are in comfortable locations. i carry the nano because it has none, no latches , releases, nothing to get hung up on a IWB holster . the nano's only safety  is  built in to the trigger safety "looks like a trigger sitting on the trigger . when seconds count why flip or have to remember to have to flip a safety. when in high stress will you remember to flip it?? personally if my finger gets in the trigger well i am shooting a 1/4 second later , and my finger will only be in the well because i fear for my life.

you can take a CHP/CCW class and barrow a weapon from a buddy for the range part of the class "but it is better to take the class with the gun you intend on carrying if you are not familiarly with hand guns" . then when you get your permit you can use the chp to buy any weapon you like "and give your self more time to look as it will take awhile to get". some gun ranges will let you fire there used guns in the range you buy the ammo and pay the per hr range fee etc. shots gun range will let you use there used guns for a fee.
I carry a full size glock 17 with no issue and know many others that do the same. A glock 19 is only a 1/2" on barrel and grip length so for me I like a full size gun so why compromise?

A good holster, belt, clothing and not caring if you print a little does a long way.

Ooh I would recommend that you take a basic pistol course before you jump into conceal carry. Learning fundamentals on grip stance etc will make you a better safer shooter.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 09:34:04 PM »
I recommend the M&P Shield, fantastic guns at about $320. I have a buddy that carries a Glock 19. He is just a little guy and one day he was rolling around on the ground looking under his vehicle at a problem. I said that I thought you were carrying your gun, he showed me he was. I was looking for it and couldn't even see it and it was summer attire.

I open carry more than concealed and very few people actually notice that I am carrying, even a full size weapon. If they noticed a bulge under your clothes, the vast majority don't consider that you are packing.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 11:21:50 PM »
Purchase permits are issued by the sheriff of the county in which you live. Check the sheriff's web site for information about the application procedure and office hours.

I took my CHP class from Chris Zeeb. He does an excellent job.

Selecting a gun, holster and carrying position is a very personal decision. There is a series on The Truth About Guns web site on this subject. Some of the contributors have gone through several guns and many holsters before settling on a particular combination.

To try before buying, contact dealers who have ranges and rent guns to see what they have available. If you have shooting buddies, ask to borrow their guns.

If you are new to handguns, it would be worth taking an introductory class. An NRA class might be sufficient. Precision Response Training in Plattsmouth has such a class. They provide guns and ammunition.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 10:13:10 AM »
Lancaster County Purchase Permit (and rental) info: http://lancaster.ne.gov/sheriff/admin/handguns.htm

If I lived in Lincoln, I'd go to DE Guns (NFOA sponsor) to do my "fondling."

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 11:50:39 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.  My job took me within 4 blocks of the Sheriff's office today so I stopped in, genuflected, submitted my offering, and in 7-10 days I will be allowed to exercise my rights.

Offline Sandhillian

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 01:13:18 PM »
My job took me within 4 blocks of the Sheriff's office today so I stopped in, genuflected, submitted my offering, and in 7-10 days I will be allowed to exercise my rights.

Keeping in mind, of course, that the purchase permit only enables you to purchase a handgun, not carry it concealed.  Open carry is fine.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 11:28:03 PM »
Open carry is fine.
Not in Omaha or Blair and there may be others I don't know about. In Omaha, you can take a class to get a permit for open carry. As far as I know, Blair has no provision for it at all and you can expect to be arrested. Of course, if you get a Nebraska concealed handgun permit, all of this becomes moot because you no longer need to carry openly.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 06:50:49 AM »
Open carry is legal, but not all government entities obey the law, so if you carry openly in a place where a criminal gang is in charge of local government, you face the likelihood of becoming a political prisoner, and having your future right to bear arms taken from you.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 07:52:53 AM »
Open carry is legal, but not all government entities obey the law,

And it ain't just locally.

The Great State of Illinois is notorious for blatantly ignoring the firearms rights of passers-through (and its own citizens, as well). 

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer