< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Looking for suggestions for a Glock that will use Glock 17 mags  (Read 1266 times)

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
Looking for suggestions for a Glock that will use Glock 17 mags
« on: December 19, 2015, 12:22:30 AM »

I recently acquired a great truck gun. A Kel-Tec  Sub 2K that uses Glock 17 mags. I have zero experience with Glocks. So, I would like to get a Glock Sub compact for carry that could share mags with the Sub 2K and am looking for some suggestions.

Thanks, Gregg
Government not being restrained by the Constitution as written is tyranny pure and simple.

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Looking for suggestions for a Glock that will use Glock 17 mags
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 05:48:56 AM »
Glock 26 is the sub compact, short grip resulting in at least 1 finger off grip.  You can get mag extensions but then you are at the grip size of the 19.

Glock 19 is the compact, most people can get all fingers on the grip

The other decision will be Gen 4 or one of the earlier ones.

John K

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 07:36:54 AM »
I recently acquired a great truck gun. A Kel-Tec  Sub 2K that uses Glock 17 mags. I have zero experience with Glocks. So, I would like to get a Glock Sub compact for carry that could share mags with the Sub 2K and am looking for some suggestions.

For the Sub2K, you might think about getting the 33-round Glock mags (which, I'll note, will ALSO fit into Glock pistols).  Brownells and Botach normally have them in stock.

As has been said, the G17, G19, and G26 are the guns (in full-size, compact, and sub-compact, respectively) that will all take the same G17 magazines (and the 33-round G18 mags, too). 

Many people that I know REALLY prefer the grip on the Gen 4 versions.  (And yes, both the Gen 3 and Gen 4 versions will take all the mags.) 

I note you don't HAVE to use a subcompact for carry unless you really want to.  I know a number of people who carry the G17 daily, and TONS of people carry the G19 (probably one of the most popular carry guns out there).  That being said, the G26 is easy to shoot well, and has a 10+1 capacity with its standard magazine, and you can reload to a G17 magazine with no issue.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 08:40:45 AM »
I carry a G17! G26 are far to stubby imo but I have large hands and don't care to have my pinky below the grip.

Something to think about between a g17 and g19. There is only about a half inch of difference on barrel length and grip length.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 12:13:01 PM »

Thanks for the replies! Based on hand size and that I don't think I would like the pinky not being on the grip, I think my search will be for a g17or g19. For someone who has had no experience with the earlier generations, are there pros and cons between them? How would the g17 compare to an XDm 5.25 when shooting 3 gun? 
Government not being restrained by the Constitution as written is tyranny pure and simple.

Offline bradhaas

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 12:26:08 PM »
Gen 4s are a little more expensive, have changeable backstraps, have stickier grips, and you can change the mag release to the other side if you're left-handed. The recoil spring system is different too. Personally, I liked the grip on the Gen 3 better, and I thought it fit well without the need to replace the backstrap, so I went with that.

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 03:29:45 PM »

Well, I guess a trip down to D E Guns is in order to check fit and feel on some Glocks. The left hand thing is also an issue.
And, who can resist a valid reason to visit a gun store!

Thanks.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 04:32:21 PM »
A G26 with 12 round mags is a sweet little package
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 04:44:20 PM »
I use these sleeves on my larger mags when I use them in my sub compact Glock, they just slide on and off.

http://x-grips.com/products/glock-26-27/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 04:46:47 PM by farmerbob »
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 10:35:36 AM »
Thanks for the replies! Based on hand size and that I don't think I would like the pinky not being on the grip, I think my search will be for a g17or g19. For someone who has had no experience with the earlier generations, are there pros and cons between them? How would the g17 compare to an XDm 5.25 when shooting 3 gun? 

You might also consider a G34.  It takes the G17 mags and has a longer barrel than the 17.  It would probably be the closest to the XDM 5.25 from a size and handling standpoint.

Personally, I do prefer the Gen 4 models, but the Gen3 are quite adequate.  I have  both.  YMMV

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 11:11:35 AM »

Any south paws using Glocks, is the Gen4 reversible mag release a game changer, or is it possible to learn to work with the older ones as is?
For carry I have a Bersa BP9cc that will shoot better groups inside 15 yards for me ( and I'm sure it's the operator ) than the XDm, but it's a single stack and I'm beginning to think double stack is a better choice for personal defense and would ultimately want it for IWB carry.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 12:08:35 PM »
Any south paws using Glocks, is the Gen4 reversible mag release a game changer, or is it possible to learn to work with the older ones as is?
For carry I have a Bersa BP9cc that will shoot better groups inside 15 yards for me ( and I'm sure it's the operator ) than the XDm, but it's a single stack and I'm beginning to think double stack is a better choice for personal defense and would ultimately want it for IWB carry.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

I'm a left-handed person, and I don't bother reversing the mag release on any of my Glocks.  (Which I use for for competition and for carry.)  It doesn't slow me down that much, and that way no matter what gun I pick up, I'll be able to actuate the mag release.

I will say that the Gen 4 mag releases are a lot easier to use than the Gen 3, in my opinion.  However, I didn't have that much trouble with either, and I've shot quite a bit through Gen 3 and Gen 4 G17s, G26s, G19s, and G34s.

I carry a Gen 4 G17, so I don't feel a double-stack is too bulky for carry.  Lots of people disagree with me, obviously.  However, I personally think that lots of people (not all, but many) don't want to get a good holster and belt combination, nor do they want to make minor changes to their normal clothing choices to accommodate a double-stack, and to them that means "I can't carry a larger gun."

Opinions vary.  :) 
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 01:44:36 PM »
I carry a Gen 4 G17, so I don't feel a double-stack is too bulky for carry.  Lots of people disagree with me, obviously.  However, I personally think that lots of people (not all, but many) don't want to get a good holster and belt combination, nor do they want to make minor changes to their normal clothing choices to accommodate a double-stack, and to them that means "I can't carry a larger gun."

I agree with Thomas. I have a Taurus PT709, which is a single stack compact 9mm, a S&W M+P9, which is a double stack, and on top of that I am, as my sister is fond of telling me, rather fluffy.  All leading up to that mythical statement "Fat guys have trouble carrying concealed."

I have larger hands and had to get a new baseplate for the Taurus mags because of the dangling pinky syndrome, something I don't have with the M+P9. I did carry the Taurus daily for quite a while but decided that I wanted something a little longer in the grip that fit me better so I went with the M+P9. (Sorry guys, the Glock just wasn't comfortable for me.)

I tend to carry the MP9 regularly with very little trouble concealing it under a shirt or jacket.  But like you said, I had to make a few changes to my carry style to pull this off.  I picked up a very nice belt from MidwestLeatherworks.com and wear a loose shirt (like I really have muscles that I can show off). I have had several people who are looking for weapons that print ask me later if I was carrying because they just couldn't tell.

Don't be afraid of the larger weapon just because it is larger. Carry what works for you and take the time to get the clothing and components that will work for you as well.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 04:04:30 PM »
I would highly recommending going to talk with Randy and Cruse at Thunderalley. If you are current or ex MIL or LEO you qualify for the Blue Label Program and if your not talk to them about joining GSSF where you can get promos for Blue Label pricing. Its well worth it and GSSF is at ENGC this next fall!

I carry IWB with my 17 personal preference but like JTH said in his post the right holster and belt/dress combo can make any gun disappear.

I did a OWB holster for a G19 this weekend for some one. I had to add some holes to my belt to get it tight enough so it didn't want to roll grip of the gun out. If i actually get a good belt I am sure I would not have had to cinch it up tight.