< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Hamburg Bend WMA  (Read 7147 times)

Offline dougusafsp

• NFOA Full Member
Hamburg Bend WMA
« on: September 18, 2010, 10:21:23 AM »
Wandering if anyone has been shooting at Hamburg Bend WMA neer Nebraska City? I was wandering exactly where the place is. What road/s do I take to get to it? What road is it on? Looked all over on google maps and can't find it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Doug
U.S. Air Force Security Police 1987-1994

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Hamburg Bend WMA
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 04:03:46 PM »
First off welcome to the site. Its not too hard to find but cant tell you all the road names.
 Take hwy 75 south out of Nebraska City about a mile and turn left at the big power plant sign.Follow that road till you come to a split. If you go straight it will take you right into the plant.Turn right there and follow till you come to another right turn. At this point you are on the south side of the plant. If you go straight it (looks like a low maint road) it will take you to the north side of Hamberg Bend. At the gate there is parking and you will find a place to shoot about 50ft east of the gate. If you turn right and stay on the road you will go about another mile to a "t" turn left here(it is a low maint road so dont want to go here if it is sloppy or you have 4x4) this will take you east to the south entrance.Again there is a gate and a nice place to shoot.
 Have fun be safe and please clean up after you are done.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline dougusafsp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 04:09:12 PM »
Hey Mike thanks for the welcome and thanks for directions. Done lots of shooting in the past but haven't been in years. Recently purchased a Sig Pro 2022 .40 and a Springfield XD9 9mm and can't wait to get out and shoot.

Doug

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 01:54:06 PM »
I've been wondering about the WMA's around Lincoln.  I've seen the comments on these forums about G&P closing the Branched Oak WMA to shooting some time back. Does anyone know if Game and Parks allows shooting at any of the other WMA's near Lincoln?   ???  Thanks.

Keith 
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 02:43:17 PM »
Talk to the folks at the park offices or ask a G&P officer. There are still some areas open for hunting, in which a little target shooting can be done. They may not be structured ranges, but we have a spot by Branched Oak we go to dust off the guns once in a while.  8)
If you talk to the folks, they can usually point you to a good spot. Be courteous , pick up what you pack in and it will go a long way to getting some places opened back up.  The gals we talked to at Branched Oak shared our disappointment in the closing of many area as they have less places to shoot. They told us most have been closed because folks just have to have that lake side property, so they buy land near WMAs and then piss and moan when gunshots are fired new their homes  ::)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 02:44:19 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 02:48:11 PM »
Pawnee lake has an archery range and a skeet range that are open to the public.  It's actually closer to Lincoln than Branched Oak.

Offline dougusafsp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 11:50:12 PM »
Finally decent weather and no Husker game so it's off to Hamburg Bend tomorrow. Finally get to shoot my new pistols. And my AK and my Garand and my........

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 08:54:15 AM »
Finally decent weather and no Husker game so it's off to Hamburg Bend tomorrow. Finally get to shoot my new pistols. And my AK and my Garand and my........
It's tuff huh? You really can't take just some of the kids out to play and leave the others at home alone. It's much more fair to just take them all and devide your time amongst them all!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 09:27:53 AM »
I know this thread has been dead for awhile, but was wondering if anyone could describe the shooting area? Is there a berm or traps set up? Dunoo, just curious, am planning a trip down there from Bellevue and kinda would like to know what to expect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Offline KY57

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 04:43:03 PM »
Heard that there may be "No Shooting" signs posted at Hamburg.  Anyone have updated info?

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 05:08:24 PM »
They closed it off earlier this year due to the flooding, don't know if they have opened it back up yet.  My guess is they should have so it would be available for hunting.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 11:28:51 PM »
How good could it possibly be for hunting?   There would be nothing for the deer to eat where the ground was flooded for all of the summer and and a good part of the fall ..... no food=no does ....no does=no bucks .....=  no meat if you are hunting there.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline KY57

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 03:13:54 PM »
Checked out Hamburg.  It's open.  Could get through to the berm on the north road just fine.  The south road is pretty muddy and didn't try that.   Also didn't see any "no shooting" signs.

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 03:42:36 PM »
I was thinking about checking the place out this weekend.  About how many yards is the shooting range? 

Offline amarc

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 01:32:48 PM »
Mike

I have never been to this location. It looks like there has been road construction since this post was made and I want to make sure I'm in the right place.
Is this the 'parking at the gate' that you reference?
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6115833,-95.7714823,194m/data=!3m1!1e3

Also, do I need to buy a parks permit to shoot there?

Thanks in advance, I want to try and get out on the long weekend.

Offline dougusafsp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 01:57:08 PM »
Yes that is the location and no park permit needed.

Offline e0603

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 10:20:44 AM »
Wow, glad I happened to come across this thread, hadn't heard of this place before.  Need to get a good zero on my scope before the ENPS 3-gun match this weekend.  Just visited ENGC for the first time a couple weeks ago for USPSA, looks like a great facility and I plan to get a membership there soon but for now it looks like Hamburg Bend will fit the bill.  The private land I normally shoot on is still underwater from all that rain we got not too long ago.

Anyone know if Hamburg Bend is okay right now as far as water goes?  There was a comment earlier in the thread about flooding but that was a couple years ago when things were REALLY bad, so I figure it's probably fine, but doesn't hurt to ask before I make the drive.  How busy does this place get on a Saturday, any recommendation on the quietest time of day?

Offline thelfrick

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Hamburg Bend WMA Still Open To Shooting?
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 08:27:26 PM »
My wife and I are under contract on some pasture land near Hamburg Bend.  Is there a shooting area at Hamburg still open where it is still okay to shoot, and if so, is there anywhere I could set up a target at anywhere close to 1000 yards with an appropriate backstop? Thanks, Ted

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member