< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What to do on vacation  (Read 1829 times)

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
What to do on vacation
« on: December 20, 2015, 10:33:34 AM »

I get asked if I want to go to a Mexican resort for vacation.  I always say no.  My friends do not understand why I would not want to go. So they offer alternatives, which still consist of sitting around a pool or a beach, drinking until meal time then eating and do it all over again the next day for a few days. Been there, done that.  There is nothing relaxing or enjoyable to me about fighting crowds and schedules to be herded onto a jet, driven off to some location and left to sit around and do nothing for a week, then do it all over again in reverse just to go back to a job on the return all burned out from a wonderful experience on a crammed jet with poor service having to drag around luggage and rush through the airport to catch flights.  Not my idea of vacation. And I have absolutely no desire to go to Mexico by any means.

I have been to Disney World with my family (twice) and enjoyed it.  Been to Las Vegas, once with family and once with just my wife.  Been to St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, been snorkeling with the sea rays and Barracuda off a small sail boat on a neighboring island.  Been to Hawaii, Maui, Kauai, Molokai. Had fun. Been to Worlds of Fun a couple of times.

I don't want to do nothing.  If I want to do nothing I can do that here.  I can sit around a pool and drink at World's of Fun and not have to fight airlines. I can do that in Hastings or Omaha.  Heck, I can watch the Travel channel on TV and sit and get drunk in my own living room.

I have already ...

Spent a week canoeing and camping in the Boundary Waters Wilderness Area in Minnesota ...

Rafted the Arkansas River in Colorado, twice ...

This is what I want to do ...

Pack up the wives and girlfriends and send them to a resort then load up the guys and, not in any specific order ...

Go bear hunting in Alaska ...

Take a Tactical Carbine course from a premier instructor ...

Go hog hunting in Texas, and Missouri, and Arkansas ...

Go scuba diving in the Sea of Cortez (yeah, I know, Mexico, can't fight geography), or Hawaii, or to a sunken ship or all three ...

Go big game hunting in New Mexico (they call it New Mexico because "Closest Thing To Hell Without Actually Being There" doesn't fit on a map) ...

Take a fighting rifle course from a premier instructor ...

Take a fighting pistol course from a premier instructor ...

Take any multi-day course at Front Sight Academy ...

Get choppered into a forest clearing in the mountains with gear, supplies, gun, knife, map, compass and hike out...

Heli Hike the Canadian Rockies ...

Do a HALO jump into the ocean and Zodiac to shore then do it again at night ...

Go fishing for Marlin ...

Hike the Appalachian Trail ...

Explore the Natchez Trace ...

Go gator hunting in the swamp ...

Follow Jim Bridger's trek from Southern California to Oregon, on foot ...

Camp the Lewis and Clark Trail from Fort Calhoun to the Pacific Ocean ...

Take a horseback, backwoods fishing expedition in Montana or Wyoming ...

Work a horseback cattle round up in the Sandhills or Montana or Wyoming ...

Go coyote hunting with Les Johnson Predator Quest ...

Drive a Formula One car on any Grand Prix style course ...

Do just about anything in Idaho, I've never been to Idaho ...

Go scuba diving off Catalina Island (I guess the girls could go, too) ...

Do just about anything that might kill me, just don't let me die of boredom ...

Write a book about the experiences, get published, hit the best seller list, die happy.

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
Re: What to do on vacation
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 01:51:53 PM »
as some one who loves to go scuba diving   thats me in the pic BTW  and i like going to Cozumel Mexico been there 5 times so far and will be there again feb 6-14th 2016 for another week i know i know you don't like Mexico lol but if your going to learn how to dive might as well go to one of the best locations ....

I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 02:39:11 PM »
Excellent "to do" list.   

You might add/try this;   buy or rent a Harley and attend Sturgis week....and/or take said motorcycle and ride coast to coast or anywhere else for that matter.  Just remember, you can't take everything you want with you, just take what you need.  Seeing the world outside of a "cage" is an experience you simply have to experience.  Road trips behind a steering wheel are agony for me, whereas taking the same trip holding on to handlebars is bliss.
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 08:18:24 PM »

One thing I didn't see on your list was caving. ATM in Belize was awesome and they have many others as well, Semuc Champey in Guatemala is also a great time. Both of these can be done with the family.
Government not being restrained by the Constitution as written is tyranny pure and simple.

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 07:14:27 PM »
One thing I didn't see on your list was caving. ATM in Belize was awesome and they have many others as well, Semuc Champey in Guatemala is also a great time. Both of these can be done with the family.

I used to like caving. Been to several here in the states.  Which isn't really caving, I guess, more of visiting caves.  :)  Not so much into crawling around in tight places anymore.

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 07:50:58 PM »
The diving in Hawaii ain't bad.  Dived off Santa Barbara on the Channel Islands there.  5 dives in one day off The Truth.  Even with a custom made 3/8" wetsuit and in my early 20's, by the end of the day that cold water sucked the life right out of me. 

But it was fun diving.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller