< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anybody work in Power?  (Read 2348 times)

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
Anybody work in Power?
« on: December 28, 2015, 01:17:57 PM »
I'll be taking a college course in Power generation Operations, think Homer Simpson's job, which may involve me uprooting the family.  Cooper Station tops the list but I'm open to suggestions.  My questions are;
Where would you go and why.
Any places to avoid?  Is Ft. Calhoun still a flood risk?
I plan on continuing education.  Possible Bachelor's in nuclear engineering.  Is this a good route?  Should I consider something else?
Is coal dust inhalation a problem for coal plant workers?

Tks ahead for any replies.  Just trying to maximize my efforts and minimize my regrets.  PM me if you want.  Clinton.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
Re: Anybody work in Power?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 04:43:37 PM »
Hi Clinton, I have a friend who is a member here, although he doesn't post much.
He has recently retired from OPPD, starting out as a Machinist, finishing up as a maintenance supervisor at the North Omaha coal plant.
He worked at NE. City, Ft. Calhoun, North Omaha, and others. Always in power generation.
If you want I could get you in touch with him, he really knows the in and out of that business, and he enjoys helping people!!
I could have him PM you, or call you. Let me know, Greg
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 05:04:46 PM »
Possible Bachelor's in nuclear engineering......

As a plain-vanilla chalk-on-the-butt everyday engineering professor, my recommendation to you would be to enroll in an engineering program of study that's not so narrow and specialized as nuclear engineering.   Nothing wrong with working in that field; it's a good field.   However, the name of the degree could be a problem in the future.

Case in Point:
Someday you may wish to change career fields entirely, and a whole lotta HR folks will look at your resume and say, "We don't run a nuclear power plant".   Result:  Your application gets deep-sixed in the file cabinet and you never hear back from anyone.

Instead, You could readily go for a broader degree in mechanical or electrical engineering, meanwhile taking all your general and technical electives in nuclear engineering specialty courses.   This approach would work out the same.   You'd cover about the same amount of nuclear engineering course material and knowledge that way as you would in the specialty degree.

After your BS degree, you could go for a PE license in your basic area (EE, ME...whatever) and also for a PE license in Nuclear Engineering.   An associate of mine has done it that way (EE and Nuclear PEs).   [Professionally, I've also been licensed in Nebraska in two separate engineering fields; however, that's another whole story.]

Many BS-engineering grads I've met with highly specialized bachelor's degrees (aerospace, nuclear, petroleum, etc.) have had problems switching fields when their career area dried up and/or when they wanted to move to a different location.   

So those are my thoughts for your consideration.

FWIW,

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 05:14:22 PM »
One Other Item on the BS-Engineering Degree:

If you are going to work full-time, then you'll most likely have to pursue your BS-Engineering degree on a part-time basis.

Which means that you have to go somewhere--like a Big City--with a local university that offers BS degrees in the evening.

So---Nebraska is not an option.  There are no evening-accessible BS-engineering degrees available in this state.   At one time, we were considering creating a program for the AEC nuclear plants where a BS degree would be available at the powerplants for powerplant employees.   But we didn't.   Maybe some other university system did so.   You can check with your HR Training Department.

In that case, you might have to take whatever engineering degree you can access.   Still would work.  Not aware of any online BS-engineering degrees, but may be such somewhere.   You can do a websearch to find out if interested.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 05:34:19 PM »
I'll give you my .02 on this...having worked on building & upgrading multiple coal fire units and two nuke stations back in my construction days (Ironworkers Local #21/Omaha) and siding in on what SemperFiGuy said (smart feller, that guy is) on being career flexible.  Just know that coal is going to the wayside, it is dirty and expensive to burn it clean (precipitators/fly ash containment/etc.)...the railroads know this and are making adjustments now so as not to be so reliant on the coal train cash cow which will peter out in about 20 years.  Nuclear is political, high maintenance and again dirty...where do you go with the waste?  If one is seriously setting sites on energy/power sourcing...I'd look to align with NPPD.  Click on this --> http://www.nbcneb.com/home/headlines/Nebraska-Public-Power-District-to-Build-Hydrogen-Power-Plant-in-Hallam-300284581.html     Not many experienced folks out there with knowledge of how to set up one of these...let alone know how to run one.   One of  my business professors used to say, "The definition of opportunity is to be where the others ain't."        Good luck on whatever you decide.

"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 06:40:45 PM »

If you are going to work full-time, then you'll most likely have to pursue your BS-Engineering degree on a part-time basis.

Which means that you have to go somewhere--like a Big City--with a local university that offers BS degrees in the evening.

So---Nebraska is not an option.  There are no evening-accessible BS-engineering degrees available in this state.   At one time, we were considering creating a program for the AEC nuclear plants where a BS degree would be available at the powerplants for powerplant employees.   But we didn't.   Maybe some other university system did so.   You can check with your HR Training Department.

In that case, you might have to take whatever engineering degree you can access.   Still would work.  Not aware of any online BS-engineering degrees, but may be such somewhere.   You can do a websearch to find out if interested.

sfg
As someone who is getting my BS degree in ME at UNL and working 40+ in manufacturing it sucks horribly. It is going to take me about 6-7 years total (6. Credits). I'm 18 months in because my SCC degree is worthless piece of paper at UNL.

But I agree with you getting the most general degree as possible and then do a minor or double major. Give yourself as many avenues at getting a job as possible in a ever changing world.

I am not overly well versed in the PE stuff because the company I work for does care less if you have a PE just the engineering degree. But that sounds like a solid path also if you can find a PE to work for.

Black and Veatch would be my choice of companies to work for if I wanted to get into the power plant engineering stuff.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 10:25:02 PM »
Hi Clinton, I have a friend who is a member here, although he doesn't post much.
He has recently retired from OPPD, starting out as a Machinist, finishing up as a maintenance supervisor at the North Omaha coal plant.
He worked at NE. City, Ft. Calhoun, North Omaha, and others. Always in power generation.
If you want I could get you in touch with him, he really knows the in and out of that business, and he enjoys helping people!!
I could have him PM you, or call you. Let me know, Greg
Hi Greg,
I mobilized cranes to Bellevue on at least four occasions in 2013 to work with OPPD maintenance and is where I caught the power bug.   Your friend is very welcome to contact me with answers or any additional input he may find pertinent.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 10:59:28 PM »
As a plain-vanilla chalk-on-the-butt everyday engineering professor, my recommendation to you would be to enroll in an engineering program of study that's not so narrow and specialized as nuclear engineering.   Nothing wrong with working in that field; it's a good field.   However, the name of the degree could be a problem in the future.

Case in Point:
Someday you may wish to change career fields entirely, and a whole lotta HR folks will look at your resume and say, "We don't run a nuclear power plant".   Result:  Your application gets deep-sixed in the file cabinet and you never hear back from anyone.

Instead, You could readily go for a broader degree in mechanical or electrical engineering, meanwhile taking all your general and technical electives in nuclear engineering specialty courses.   This approach would work out the same.   You'd cover about the same amount of nuclear engineering course material and knowledge that way as you would in the specialty degree.

After your BS degree, you could go for a PE license in your basic area (EE, ME...whatever) and also for a PE license in Nuclear Engineering.   An associate of mine has done it that way (EE and Nuclear PEs).   [Professionally, I've also been licensed in Nebraska in two separate engineering fields; however, that's another whole story.]

Many BS-engineering grads I've met with highly specialized bachelor's degrees (aerospace, nuclear, petroleum, etc.) have had problems switching fields when their career area dried up and/or when they wanted to move to a different location.   

So those are my thoughts for your consideration.

FWIW,

sfg

sfg
This is good advice and you are not the 1st to give it.  It is my understanding that NPPD tends to pay for continuing education (if you keep yer grades up) in the more specialized areas which makes it very tempting.  I'll know more in the coming year.  They make a good sales pitch but I like to think my BS detector is fully functional having been tested frequently over the years.  :)
From what I understand, these colleges are out East and most studies are online... which leads me to believe I would be in TStuart34's shoes working full time and earning a degree. 

Additionally I have the option of doing a fossil fuels AND nuclear focus.  The only reason I dropped the idea of FF is I don't care to breath coal dust.  I have a hard time believing this isn't a health concern but with more knowledge new perspective is gained.  Anyway the political winds seem to be blowing away from coal but my crystal ball is fuzzy with cataracts so what do I know.

Very thorough replies.  They are much appreciated.  I'm 38 and never attended college but after recent layoffs my wife and I decided this was the best option.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 06:15:38 AM »
As someone who is getting my BS degree in ME at UNL and working 40+ in manufacturing it sucks horribly. It is going to take me about 6-7 years total (6. Credits). I'm 18 months in because my SCC degree is worthless piece of paper at UNL.

which leads me to believe I would be in TStuart34's shoes working full time and earning a degree.

tstuart34/20Nickels:

Hang in there!!!  You'll never regret it.  I've had literally scores of folks in my office saying that they wished they had stayed in college when they had the chance.   Have NEVER had someone saying that they had too much education.   Never.   And you are never "too old" to get your degree.

I'm in the UNL engineering detachment on the UNO Campus.  I've frequently encouraged SCC grads to go to UNO's BS-General Studies program to complete their degree because UNO will give maximum credit for community college degrees.  UNL is prissier and doesn't have a similar program.   And doesn't give much respect to SCC, MCC, etc.

Look at it this way..........A four-year engineering degree takes 4+ years to complete, even going full-time.  So part-time, you have to go a bit longer.   However, in this case, you're still earning an income, getting some experience, and--hopefully--your company is paying some of it.   Going to school the way you are doing will really sharpen your time-management skills.   [And keep you out of dark places like bars and pool halls.]

Your story is really relatable to me.   I've earned eight college degrees doing it just the way you are doing it, plus raising eight kids.   Not sure how....It's all kind of a blur now.   But it's doable.   You'll never regret it.   Just keep on keepin' on, like Joe Dirt.

sfg
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 06:19:01 AM by SemperFiGuy »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 08:09:56 AM »
You might send an IM to Wildgoose.  He's retired now but he worked in that field.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 12:19:01 PM »
Everyone here is 1000x smarter than me on this topic, but I will give you my two cents worth from a broad, macroeconomics perspective.  I think you are very wise to look into the particular degrees under discussion here.  These are areas I'm encouraging my kids to look at and prepare for as they get close to that age where they're considering degree programs and the college admissions hoop-jumping.  I really think food production and power production -- and the high tech industries behind them -- will be the main issues defining their generation world wide. 

Ok, you say.... "duh".   It doesn't take a crystal ball to make that kind of statement.  But from my perspective of having spent a lot of time living in the developing world, I have to say that people have no idea how much 90% of the world is still living in the stone age when it comes to agriculture and power.  The demand and potential for improvement there amongst those billions of humans is unfathomable for most Americans used to plentiful food and cheap, reliable energy. 

Even though it was first aired by CNN -- the communist news network -- I'd encourage you to watch the documentary "Pandora's Promise" about how only nuclear power has the capability to meet the world's insatiable demand for power, and how the eco-freaks of the world really picked the wrong "side" of the battle when they decided to oppose nuclear power.  For the eco-freaks to tell the world "use less power" and that our solution has to be conservation rather than more/better energy production is basically for them to tell the parents in the developing world "stay poor and let your children die young".  There's a direct correlation between energy usage per capita and quality of life.

Here's an article by the film producer which has some links to his recommended reading too.  I have no idea if any of his recommendations are good reading or total garbage.  I'm just saying that I found his documentary to make some persuasive arguments in layperson terms.   http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/07/opinion/pandora-nuclear-stone-ifr-response/

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 03:31:02 PM by feralcatkillr »
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 02:02:05 PM »
Very thorough replies.  They are much appreciated.  I'm 38 and never attended college but after recent layoffs my wife and I decided this was the best option.

This is one of the only Mechanical engineering programs that I found online that seemed to be legit...

http://und.edu/academics/extended-learning/online-distance/degrees/mechanical-engineering/

You spend summers in North Dakota doing Labs and the cost is the price of a NICE HOUSE! I could not see the justification.

Some words of wisdom from a 27 year old  :laugh:....maybe

Start yourself out with some more basic general classes of math and chemistry. It will add some more time but if you do it at a community college its not nearly as expensive and a bit quicker. I did this in math and it has helped. I jumped into chem 109 and didn't do as great as i prefer to do. It had been 10+ years for me since high school classes and it took a little bit to dig some of that old info out of my head. I really feel that it is beneficial to step back and revisit some the foundation things before jumping into all the deeper things.
tstuart34/20Nickels:
  And doesn't give much respect to SCC, MCC, etc.

True story or on job experience. I am a profession drafter with a degree in drafting and they still took forever and a ton of e-mails to get the drafting class over written.  haha

--hopefully--your company is paying some of it.   

I'm very lucky and thank you for your encouragement.

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 05:35:10 PM »
I'm 38 and never attended college but after recent layoffs my wife and I decided this was the best option.
Age is a state of mind...after getting severly injured on the job at the age of 32, I had to make a career change and went to college for the first time, got a dual associates in computer science/business administration.  Went to work and finished my education a few years later while working...at the age of 40 I had my BA in Bus. Admin/Bus. Mgmt from Doane College.  Some may argue the worth of a piece of paper/credentials...but, it certainly opened doors for me that I didn't think possible.   So, heed the good advice of the good people posting in this thread....you've got everything to gain.
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 06:22:33 PM »
Here's the film Feralcatkiller is talking about.. if it embed's.  If not click linky

If anything it's a stable job.  Probably not going to sell the power plant or outsource it to China.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 06:35:39 PM »
Age is a state of mind...

So, heed the good advice of the good people posting in this thread....you've got everything to gain.
I will, tks.
I agree.  You are only as old as you feel.  I wouldn't mind being 150 if I didn't feel like I was 150.  Right after the layoff I was accepted into Police dept. testing and made a very stout showing considering I was up against a bunch of 20 somethings.  Made it to the top ten.  Shortly after I found the power generation program and decided that was a better route.