General Categories > Non Gun Stuff

Anybody work in Power?

<< < (3/3)

ILoveCats:
Everyone here is 1000x smarter than me on this topic, but I will give you my two cents worth from a broad, macroeconomics perspective.  I think you are very wise to look into the particular degrees under discussion here.  These are areas I'm encouraging my kids to look at and prepare for as they get close to that age where they're considering degree programs and the college admissions hoop-jumping.  I really think food production and power production -- and the high tech industries behind them -- will be the main issues defining their generation world wide. 

Ok, you say.... "duh".   It doesn't take a crystal ball to make that kind of statement.  But from my perspective of having spent a lot of time living in the developing world, I have to say that people have no idea how much 90% of the world is still living in the stone age when it comes to agriculture and power.  The demand and potential for improvement there amongst those billions of humans is unfathomable for most Americans used to plentiful food and cheap, reliable energy. 

Even though it was first aired by CNN -- the communist news network -- I'd encourage you to watch the documentary "Pandora's Promise" about how only nuclear power has the capability to meet the world's insatiable demand for power, and how the eco-freaks of the world really picked the wrong "side" of the battle when they decided to oppose nuclear power.  For the eco-freaks to tell the world "use less power" and that our solution has to be conservation rather than more/better energy production is basically for them to tell the parents in the developing world "stay poor and let your children die young".  There's a direct correlation between energy usage per capita and quality of life.

Here's an article by the film producer which has some links to his recommended reading too.  I have no idea if any of his recommendations are good reading or total garbage.  I'm just saying that I found his documentary to make some persuasive arguments in layperson terms.   http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/07/opinion/pandora-nuclear-stone-ifr-response/

tstuart34:

--- Quote from: 20nickels on December 28, 2015, 10:59:28 PM ---Very thorough replies.  They are much appreciated.  I'm 38 and never attended college but after recent layoffs my wife and I decided this was the best option.

--- End quote ---

This is one of the only Mechanical engineering programs that I found online that seemed to be legit...

http://und.edu/academics/extended-learning/online-distance/degrees/mechanical-engineering/

You spend summers in North Dakota doing Labs and the cost is the price of a NICE HOUSE! I could not see the justification.

Some words of wisdom from a 27 year old  :laugh:....maybe

Start yourself out with some more basic general classes of math and chemistry. It will add some more time but if you do it at a community college its not nearly as expensive and a bit quicker. I did this in math and it has helped. I jumped into chem 109 and didn't do as great as i prefer to do. It had been 10+ years for me since high school classes and it took a little bit to dig some of that old info out of my head. I really feel that it is beneficial to step back and revisit some the foundation things before jumping into all the deeper things.

--- Quote from: SemperFiGuy on December 29, 2015, 06:15:38 AM ---tstuart34/20Nickels:
  And doesn't give much respect to SCC, MCC, etc.

--- End quote ---

True story or on job experience. I am a profession drafter with a degree in drafting and they still took forever and a ton of e-mails to get the drafting class over written.  haha

--- Quote from: SemperFiGuy on December 29, 2015, 06:15:38 AM -----hopefully--your company is paying some of it.   

--- End quote ---

I'm very lucky and thank you for your encouragement.

zofoman:

--- Quote from: 20nickels on December 28, 2015, 10:59:28 PM --- I'm 38 and never attended college but after recent layoffs my wife and I decided this was the best option.

--- End quote ---
Age is a state of mind...after getting severly injured on the job at the age of 32, I had to make a career change and went to college for the first time, got a dual associates in computer science/business administration.  Went to work and finished my education a few years later while working...at the age of 40 I had my BA in Bus. Admin/Bus. Mgmt from Doane College.  Some may argue the worth of a piece of paper/credentials...but, it certainly opened doors for me that I didn't think possible.   So, heed the good advice of the good people posting in this thread....you've got everything to gain.

20nickels:
Here's the film Feralcatkiller is talking about.. if it embed's.  If not click linky

If anything it's a stable job.  Probably not going to sell the power plant or outsource it to China.

20nickels:

--- Quote from: zofoman on December 29, 2015, 05:35:10 PM ---Age is a state of mind...

So, heed the good advice of the good people posting in this thread....you've got everything to gain.
I will, tks.

--- End quote ---
I agree.  You are only as old as you feel.  I wouldn't mind being 150 if I didn't feel like I was 150.  Right after the layoff I was accepted into Police dept. testing and made a very stout showing considering I was up against a bunch of 20 somethings.  Made it to the top ten.  Shortly after I found the power generation program and decided that was a better route.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version