< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Reply from Sen. Fischer  (Read 813 times)

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
Reply from Sen. Fischer
« on: January 11, 2016, 01:36:16 PM »
Received this reply from Sen. Fischer.

January 10, 2016

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting me about Second Amendment rights. I appreciate hearing from you.

I share your concern about restrictive gun control measures. Most recently, I voted against an amendment to H.R. 3762, the Restoring Americans' Healthcare Freedom Reconciliation Act, which would have given the Department of Justice (DOJ) vast power to deny the transfer of a firearm to individuals. This amendment, which includes language similar to S. 551, the Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists act, was part of a misguided effort to include people on the terror watch list in NICS. According to this amendment, the DOJ would only need a "reasonable belief" that a person will commit an act of terrorism to deny a firearm transfer. I do not believe the government should have the broad power to deny people their constitutional rights without clear evidence.

Additionally, on January 5, 2016, President Obama described his plan to increase gun control in America. Specifically, the president's proposal calls for increased background checks. This will have little to no effect on gun violence in America for two main reasons.  First, those who are considered to pose an unacceptable risk of committing a gun-related crime are already prohibited from purchasing or owning a firearm. Second, existing law requires those in the business of selling firearms to have a Federal Firearm License and perform background checks on anyone purchasing a firearm through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), regardless of the medium of transfer. The president should work with Congress to address the root causes of violent crime instead of issuing executive actions.

Like you, I strongly support Second Amendment rights. You may be interested to know that while serving in the Nebraska Legislature, I introduced the Hunter Mentoring Bill, which encouraged more participation in hunting among young people. I also cosponsored legislation to secure concealed-carry rights for Nebraskans. As a member of the U.S. Senate, I have continued to support these rights at the federal level. I joined several of my colleagues in sending a letter to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives in response to proposed restrictions on ammunition. In response to our letter, the ATF withdrew its proposal on March 10, 2015. Additionally, on February 5, 2015, I joined Senators Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) and Marin Heinrich (D-N.M.) in introducing the Bipartisan Sportsmen's Act, which would protect and enhance opportunities for recreational hunting, fishing, and shooting.

I have heard from many Nebraskans about their concerns over the regulation of guns and ammunition. As a member of the Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus, I will keep your comments in mind as I continue to oppose attempts to restrict the Second Amendment rights of Nebraskans and all Americans.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If you have additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to visit my website at www.fischer.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Signature

Deb Fischer
United States Senator

P.S. If you are in Washington, please plan to attend the Nebraska breakfast. The breakfast is held on most Wednesdays when the Senate is in session. Call my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-6551 to RSVP.

To stay updated on my work on this issue and others, sign up for monthly e-updates from my office HERE.

Facebook Twitter YouTubeSenate

***Please do not reply to this message as this mailbox cannot receive incoming messages.***

Lincoln Office
440 North 8th Street
Suite 120
Lincoln, NE 68508
(402) 441-4600
(402) 476-8753 FAX

Omaha Office
11819 Miracle Hills Drive
Suite 205
Omaha, NE 68154
(402) 391-3411
(402) 391-4725 FAX