< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Shotgun barrel  (Read 814 times)

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
Shotgun barrel
« on: January 15, 2016, 05:33:26 AM »
So I have this 10" piece of a shotgun barrel left over, any ideas of what to do with it?
KD0LKT

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Shotgun barrel
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 06:15:14 AM »
Weld a plug on one end and make a mini black powder cannon.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 08:30:09 AM »
Wait 'til you get a few more and make wind chimes
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 10:16:55 PM »
Weld a plug on one end and make a mini black powder cannon.
I'm with BK.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 10:36:24 PM »
I'm with BK.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

NEVER weld up a pipe for a black powder cannon, I have seen many that had the back end blown of, Im a certified welder , and would never attempt to do that
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 11:46:33 AM »
  NEVER weld up a pipe for a black powder cannon, I have seen many that had the back end blown of, Im a certified welder , and would never attempt to do that
Thunder mugs such as this with a thick base using schedule 80 pipe are pretty safe, assuming an experienced welder does the welding...sorta like this:  http://www.cannonfuse.com/store/pc/-NEW-5-Tall-Signal-Cannon-p11944.htm   I was certified welder years back (not sure of expiration dates?) and I'd be very leary of welding a plug on a shotgun barrel...I'd go for the wind chime option myself.  Shaft/hardened steel that is turned & bore-drilled leaving a thick sidewall is what you really want for a small caliber signal cannon.

Having said that....do check your local/state laws regarding possession and use of such "signal cannons".   Not saying that I have ever had possession of such an item...but, I do have some "knowledge" of things of this nature. The site above is a good source for fuses and using the guide below (I am NOT the author) is just a simple reference point for loads that should never be exceeded.  Toilet paper or paper towel material is good for wadding.   Never, ever use any kind of projectile in a "signal cannon".    Above all, don't be an idiot when handling such things and use common sense.   The internet & youtube is your friend for expanding your knowledge of such things and entertainment for seeing the gene-pool nearly reduced.   
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman