< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Reloading press  (Read 6237 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Reloading press
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 10:16:32 PM »
:o

It's not the $500 dollar machine.

Giraud has a new trimmer that mounts in a drill that cuts all 3 angles at once

http://www.giraudtool.com/Tri%20Way%20Trimmer.htm
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 11:35:02 PM »
If shooters weren't such hard-core individualists, seems like a good, solid argument could be made for pooling their money and buying something like a Dillon 650 for a small, compatible(?) group of USPSA/IDPA shooters.   Get out of slo-mo single-stage presses forever.

Sharing the Dillon.   Setting it up for 9mm, .40S&W, maybe .45ACP reloading.  Even revolver stuff:  .38SPCL/.357Mag..........

And then reloading about two hunnert-thousand rounds on it per year.  (jthhapkido must shoot about 40,000 rounds/year all by himself.   Not to mention what DCJulie shoots.)

Guys could come over.  Shoot the breeze, take turns reloading their stuff.  Drink coffee.  (At the perimeter of the room, of course.  No food/drink in reloading area.)  Have Guy fun.  Their women would know where they were, instead of some hangout honkeytonk bar.

Or......maybe rent some space:  Like a secure garage, w/combo locks.   And 220v power.  Upgrade to a Dillon Super 1050.  Or we could use that excellent space at Handyman Joe's which is now being underutilized as a training area.

Maybe put in a pool table for the other guys to use when not reloading.  And a large screen TV with big, comfy chairs from Goodwill.   Maybe a couple of 8-foot tables for a mini gun-show trading area.

And then get an FFL 06, start manufacturing ammo.  Make it.  Box it.  Sell it under the NFOA Forum name.  9mm/115gr to start.   Then work up to 124gr and self-defense.

Aw......Never Mind.   I was just day-dreaming out loud.

If Shooters Weren't Such Hard Core Individualists:
    "Dammit, it was set up for 9mm when I left.  So who's the .45ACP nut-case around here???"

Just sayin'.........

sfg

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 10:02:47 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline MartyB

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 07:58:10 PM »
the press is the main tool....no use in going too cheap

I'm brand new to reloading, but absolutely believe in this statement.

I started collecting equipment for my bench Black Friday week, watching for sales through X-mas.  I picked up RCBS carbide 3-die sets in a couple of handgun calibers for $28 per set.  Also from RCBS, I got an APS bench priming tool and loader for the APS strips, both dirt-cheap.  Amazon had loading blocks, tumblers, media sifters, etc. on sale. 

i had expected at some point, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, 12 days of Christmas, sometime, Dillon might put a press on sale.  Lee, Hornady, RCBS, everyone else had presses on sale.  It wasn't to be.  I finally paid full price for my Dillon 550, and would gladly do it again. 

@BigRed, you've already mentioned 6 calibers.  It would sure be nice to set each of those up once in their own tool-head, then change the press from one caliber to another in two-minute's time.  (hint: there is a price break if you buy 3 or more tool-heads at a time)

$0.02 worth, from a newly minted blue-press snob.

Ultimately, you can get the job done on a wide range of presses.  Invest as your budget allows and enjoy the reloading process.
Marty

NFOA Member, NE CHP Holder, GSSF Member, NRA Life Member, Glock Certified Armorer

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 09:45:32 PM »
As we were all touting the cast iron single stage presses...it did occur to me that the coveted blue presses are aluminum frames.

Offline MartyB

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 10:47:15 PM »
the coveted blue presses are aluminum

...like the engine block from a '72 Vega   ;) 
(you'll likely get more mileage out of the press)
Marty

NFOA Member, NE CHP Holder, GSSF Member, NRA Life Member, Glock Certified Armorer

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 03:03:05 PM »

And then reloading about two hunnert-thousand rounds on it per year.  (jthhapkido must shoot about 40,000 rounds/year all by himself.   Not to mention what DCJulie shoots.)

Hey!  I only shoot about 20,000 to 25,000 per year!  Ish.

And luckily for me, Julie has her own press and reloads her own.  :)  (She uses my old Dillon 550, which she really likes.) 

Have to admit, for any type of large-scale reloading, it is RIDICULOUS how much easier/faster it is to load on a Dillon 650 or 1050.  Julie got me a bullet feeder for the 1050 awhile back---next step, a motor.

...and then I'll just sit back and watch the machine do everything.  :)

I'll note that I started on an RCBS Rockchucker, which I still have.  Solid, great press.  Glad I learned the basics of reloading on it.  REALLY love reloading on a progressive press now.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2016, 04:44:34 PM »
...watch the machine do everything.....

Do everything.

I hear Dillon has a new model coming out, hydraulically operated.

The 1900A version shoots all your USPSA series for you.
The 1900B shoots your IDPA strings.  (But only works indoors.....)

Buy different attachments, get better scores.

Be sure to get the DQ blocker.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline BigRed

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 04:41:40 PM »
Thanks for all of the info on presses. I would sure like a Dillon 550b but it is not in the budget. What I found for my uses and price was a Hornady Classic kit. It has alot of goods that are included and 500 free bullets for $14 shipping. So much for free. I know it is not fancy but it will work for me. I loaded some 44 Mag in it already and it all worked out. It was slow but I would check the powder throw every 5th round. I would also check every cartridge for OAL. It worked nice. What do you all think about the sonic Cleaners that are available, or should I stick with the tried but true media tumbler?

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 04:52:29 PM »
Here is my cleaning set up.

Wet stainless steel tumbling. My vibrating tumbler is being used as a brass sorter now.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 05:53:30 PM »
tstuart34:

Nice setup you've got there.

Seems there are many ways to clean cartridge cases.   All of them pretty good:

Vibrating and/or rotary tumbling (media:  walnut, corncobs, steel pins)

Ultrasonic cleaning  (liquids:  Simple Green, special formulas, etc.)

Acid washes  (phosphoric, muriatic, etc.)

General choice is kind of between Real Shiny and Real Clean.  Tumbling of either method in stainless steel pin media seems to make them shiniest.  Ultrasonic seems to make them cleanest:  inside, outside, and primer pocket.

I've got a Hornady Magnum Ultrasonic and it gets 'em pretty darn clean.  But then you've got a bucket full of wet cartridges.   In winter, gotta wait until wifey goes shopping, then use her hair drier.  And then deny it when she gets back.  (That part doesn't work.)  Summertime, just sprawl 'em out on an old towel on the deck in the sunshine.

Bottom Line:
  I've just defaulted back to vibrator tumbling w/walnut media and THWI.

After all, shooting them just makes them dirty all over again.

FWIW,

sfg
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:55:49 PM by SemperFiGuy »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 06:46:27 PM »
Bottom Line:I've just defaulted back to vibrator tumbling w/walnut media and THWI.

Yup.

I don't worry that much about gleaming, shiny, ultra-clean brass---but that is because I reload a fairly low pressure pistol round, for standard accuracy levels.    For my needs, spending the time and effort cleaning the brass to a higher standard (my "brass cleaning" is that I tumble in dry media for about an hour, and that's it, noting that I use random range brass also for my reloads) creates such a negligible difference in performance that it isn't worth it.  Literally, the difference that it could make relative to my needs is effectively zero.

If I was reloading precision rifle rounds for distance or group, that would be different.  But....I'm not. 

.....so how you clean brass (and to what extent) really is going to depend on what you plan on doing with it. 

(I've actually got a sonic cleaner, which I find highly annoying to use to clean brass.  Works for small gun parts, though.)

Offline MartyB

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 10:11:53 PM »
Depending on which way you go, your tumbling media presents another opportunity to save a few dollars.  It is not necessary to spend $15 on seven pounds of corn cob media.  I believe the thirty-five pound bag I picked up at the local Feed-and-Grain cost $13.  I add a dab of brass polish to each load I run through the tumbler.
Marty

Offline MartyB

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 10:17:25 PM »
Depending on which way you go, your tumbling media presents another opportunity to save a few dollars.  It is not necessary to spend $15 on seven pounds of corn cob media.  I believe the thirty-five pound bag I picked up at the local Feed-and-Grain cost $13.  I add a dab of brass polish to each load I run through the tumbler.
...note that mine do NOT come out of the tumbler looking like @tstuart34's.  That is some sexy brass right there!
Marty

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2016, 10:51:33 PM »
...note that mine do NOT come out of the tumbler looking like @tstuart34's.  That is some sexy brass right there!
My mix is ss pins 1 9mm case of lemonshine, a big squirt of dawn dish soap and hot water to fill the drum. Takes about 2-3 hours for about 1k of 9mm to be cleaned. I need more ss. Primer pockets are normally spotless no media in the flash holes ect.

Like SFG said summer time is great for drying brass. Winter is harder. I think I'm going to start dehydrating my brass. Other wise I have a small fan that gets set up and blows across them after being spun around in a couple of towels.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 07:12:47 AM »
My mix is ss pins 1 9mm case of lemonshine, a big squirt of dawn dish soap and hot water to fill the drum. Takes about 2-3 hours for about 1k of 9mm to be cleaned. I need more ss. Primer pockets are normally spotless no media in the flash holes ect.

That is WAY more work than I want to do.

And what, people actually deprime their old cases before they clean them?  Pshaw! 

:)

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 07:39:45 AM »
That is WAY more work than I want to do.

And what, people actually deprime their old cases before they clean them?  Pshaw! 

:)
The SS media really shines when your working up precision rifle loads. I plan to switch to it when my sonic cleaner dies.

It helps insure that no soot is inside the cases, which reduces case volume, which also could affect velocities. It also insure that the primers are sitting at the same depth in the case every time and that the soot isnt affecting ignition.

Not necessary on pistol ammo.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 03:27:05 PM »
Being a brass whore's brass whore, I'm always rooting around in the mud, looking for a prize, hoping to save 0.27.  Some of the brass my dirt caked fingers find is filled with mud and God-only-knows-what. 

Vibratory tumbling don't cut it. 

I went to wet tumbling and haven't looked back.  I have found that if I roll 'em for more than 45 minutes in the classic brew of Lemi-shine and Dawn, the interior of the cases actually get so clean that the cases stick to the Dillon powder funnel, which slows down my amazing reloading rate.  (Guinness World Record Holder 18 years running.) 

So 40-45 minutes is all that is needed IMHO.

The other big advantage of wet tumbling is reduced dust.  Nasty stuff in them there cases. 

And yes, I deprime the cases before dumping them in the soup because that's what real reloaders do.   (Plus I have been told sometimes the SS pins will stick two at a time in the flash hole.) 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline MartyB

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 07:05:59 PM »
the interior of the cases actually get so clean that the cases stick to the Dillon powder funnel,

I've heard some say that can be an issue with new brass too (which says something for just how clean your brass is getting with the ss pins).  They went on to say that they tumble new brass in corn cob media for a few minutes to prevent the cases from sticking.
Marty

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2016, 08:25:31 PM »
I've heard some say that can be an issue with new brass too (which says something for just how clean your brass is getting with the ss pins).  They went on to say that they tumble new brass in corn cob media for a few minutes to prevent the cases from sticking.

Indeed.  I believe after a good 2 hour tumble, brass comes out of the tub virtually indistinguishable from new.  I just want it clean, inside and out, to reduce the amount of bad stuff going down the barrel.

The fix, according to the pros, is to add some all in one car wash/wax product to the water.  Supposed to keep the brass from tarnishing as well.  I haven't had a problem with tarnish though and since 40 minutes gets me where I want to go, I'll stick with my present arrangement. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2016, 09:04:06 PM »
Indeed.  I believe after a good 2 hour tumble, brass comes out of the tub virtually indistinguishable from new.  I just want it clean, inside and out, to reduce the amount of bad stuff going down the barrel.

The fix, according to the pros, is to add some all in one car wash/wax product to the water.  Supposed to keep the brass from tarnishing as well.  I haven't had a problem with tarnish though and since 40 minutes gets me where I want to go, I'll stick with my present arrangement.
I haven't tried car wash yet. But I have done some reading kn it. I will have to give it a try in the next batch and see if I notice any difference