< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Mosin Pics  (Read 9780 times)

Offline Z3R0

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Mosin Pics
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2014, 09:25:53 AM »

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2014, 04:42:31 PM »
Not sure.  Just a bunch of action parts in a zip-lock bag.  I have an employee who's interested in them.  If he doesn't take them, I'll see if I can come up with more info.

Employee decided he didn't want the parts.  I'll put up a for sale thread, but I have no idea what they're worth.

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2014, 07:28:54 PM »
OK, here is mine.

1941 ishvesk (sp?) 91/30

Dropped it in an ATI stock, added a Cabelas 3-9 x 40 scope with a UTG mount and riser.  Slipped a little foam under the elastic butt stock shell holder to raise the cheek weld up.

Not exactly a tack driver (unless it's a very large tack).  About Minute of Man at 100 yards with surplus ammo.

Can have it back to original in about 30 minutes.

Thinking about cutting the barrel down.  But not sure if it would help the accuracy or not.

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2014, 02:41:20 PM »
Thinking about cutting the barrel down.  But not sure if it would help the accuracy or not.

I've read that the crown of the barrel can affect accuracy and that redoing it fixes the problem.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2014, 03:07:58 PM »
Cutting down the barrel MIGHT help the accuracy if the crown is nicked, or the rifling is worn towards the end.  That's assuming it's done correctly, with the cut not at an angle and with the crown cut cleanly.  Frankly, for a $120 rifle you're going to pay more than the gun is worth to have it done correctly. 

I would try some commercial ammo first and see if it shoots better.  I have never had good luck with commie surplus stuff.  Prvi Partisan, S&B, or handloads will pretty much always shoot better.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2014, 03:13:14 PM »
Those scope mounts haven't got the best track record, just not solid enough.  Not many scope options for Mosin's though.

As far as cutting off and recrowning your barrel, it isn't rocket science if you're handy with tools.  Do some googling, lot's of instructional videos on how to crown a barrel simply and effectively.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2014, 03:40:52 PM »
It's actually possible to crown a barrel with a brass screw, some lapping compound, and a drill.  It won't be a match grade job but for a Mosin it's probably good enough.  I've done it before on surplus rifles and it works fine.  I would try that before cutting the barrel off.  Once you do that there's no going back.

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2014, 08:44:23 PM »
Cutting down the barrel MIGHT help the accuracy if the crown is nicked, or the rifling is worn towards the end.  That's assuming it's done correctly, with the cut not at an angle and with the crown cut cleanly.  Frankly, for a $120 rifle you're going to pay more than the gun is worth to have it done correctly. 

I would try some commercial ammo first and see if it shoots better.  I have never had good luck with commie surplus stuff.  Prvi Partisan, S&B, or handloads will pretty much always shoot better.

Thanks.  Yes. If I am out to get better accuracy I will try some actual commercial loads.  The surplus stuff is pretty unreliable for consistency.

I can actually cut and crown myself.  So no issue with cost.  I just hate to cut up a good firearm for no reason.

The rifling is in good shape and the muzzle has no nicks so the only thing I would gain if anything is better harmonics. 

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:46:29 PM by DenmanShooter »
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2014, 08:51:11 PM »
Those scope mounts haven't got the best track record, just not solid enough.  Not many scope options for Mosin's though.

Thanks.  Best mount I can come up with and keep the bolt.  I might put a bent bolt on it and a real mount down the road.  But thinking I would just as soon put that money into a new Savage or something rather than putting more money into this.  :)

I just like the looks and feel of older rifles but I have a need for the optics. :(

Would love to have an original Garand though.  !!

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2014, 09:48:14 PM »
 to recrown a barrel, you only have to remove a few thousands off it, You can hardly tell it was done.
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline brandon7219

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2014, 11:29:09 AM »
Heres my 1940 Tula round all matching numbers except tools/bayo.  Going out to Hamburg Bend in about an hour on a date with her and her girlfriend AK-74

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2014, 06:42:01 AM »
my mosins...

top - 1915 New England Westinghouse M91 (bought from a forum member). it has mostly NEW parts, but some Izzy and Tula mixed in.  no date under the tang, which is correct.  Matching barrel and bolt, Finnish marked, older CAI import marking on barrel.  I need to find a bayo and sling, etc.  according to the serial number, i am guessing that this gun was made in late 1916, its only a guess.

Mid - 1926 Tula ex-dragoon (bought from a forum member).  all matching, except no bayo. import marking on receiver by PWN Arms, even though this is a 1926, the tang and wood are marked 1925 Tula... interesting that they would be marked 1925, when the barrel is marked 1926.  it has a "newer" rear sight which is Izzy and the bolt has mostly Tula, but some Izzy mixed in.

Bot - 1943 Izzy M91/30, round receiver and rough finishing.  1943 marked under tang.  all matching and has all parts, etc. but interestingly has X5559 on the underside of the barrel along with lots of half markings that are barely legible.

Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official