< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Advice on choosing a .308 rifle  (Read 3050 times)

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
Advice on choosing a .308 rifle
« on: December 02, 2009, 11:07:13 AM »
I have determined that I need a Semi-auto .308/7.62x51. Not for hunting or target shooting per se, just to get a solid battle rifle.

Seems there are a few general options: 1)FAL variants (DSA, Century, etc) 2) M1A variants (Polytechs, Springfields) 3) G3 variants (CETME, PTR). So am I missing any choices (that are readily available)?, any advantages of one platform over the others and what's the most bang for my buck? I was hoping to keep it around a $grand so am not willing to drop $3000 on an H&K, especially since I'll have to stock up on a new caliber of ammo, too.

Any insight or experience to share? 
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Advice on choosing a .308 rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 12:23:13 PM »
1) FAL - "Right arm of the free world" an excellent rifle and pretty upgradeable, fairly to very accurate. Parts and mags are reasonable and easy to find.  I like shooting mine, but would not want to carry it all day, it's pretty heavy.

2) M1A's, etc. - no experience with them, can't help you there.  I have always wanted a Poly M14, but most are over $1000 now.

3) CETME/PTR - I had a cast stainless CETME(one of the good ones, better than stamped steel), shot fine.  I got rid of it because of the fluted chamber that tends to mar the brass a bit and is not conducive to reloading.  Very inexpensive mags($3-5 each).  Somewhat upgradeable.

4) AR10 - You didn't mention these, but thought I would bring them up.  I don't have one, but some like them if they also own an AR15 for the fact of identical controls, some parts interchangeability between the two.  Mags are getting cheaper lately.

5) Saiga .308 - Another choice.  I just sold mine.  If you like AK's, this can be converted to pistol-grip style.  Mags are pretty expensive($35 and up, each) and not as readily available.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Thanks- Saiga & AR 10 are a couple of options I hadn't considered. I have AR's so the big brother would make sense!
But I think the FAL is the nominal leader at this point so any suggestions on builds or makers? The inch/metric pattern thing is a bit confusing to me, too.

Also, I cruised ar15.com and there are a LOT of similar threads there- guess I shoulda done that first, might have answered my question without bothering you nice people.

Thanks again. 
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

A-FIXER

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 02:38:26 PM »
Other than what has been discussed the only other choice would be a rem 700 setup and at cableas you can install a 10 rd mag with upgrade but as I read some post the mag has the weakness of the mag falling out.. during some of the reviews and yes its a bolt action the ar-10 or fal my be the ticket the CETME I was told kicks alot more than the fal or like versions. I personally can not comfirm this but maybe someone can confirm this as hearsay or not here on the fourm.... Alantic Firearms is on of the sources to get but the wait can be long and some of their customer rel skills are lacking from my personal experience but maybe different for you and they are under 1K the finish is good and I would say you would be happy with it.....but if you were so inclined to spend more the FN is the standard with the warranty is has. Good luck to you.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 07:15:18 PM »
Disregard this if you are stuck on .308.  Not wanting to start a caliber war, I have been reading on the 6.5 Grendel for some time now and everything shows it to be a far more efficient (size, weight, recoil, weight of gun) cartidge and giving up little to the 7.62.  Not many ammo choices though. 
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:18:43 PM »
I had an Armalite AR10 and liked it fine.  I currently have a FAL G1 and it shoots so well I can't justify another AR10type rifle, it never burps.  I have used silencers on both the Armalite and DPMS rifles and both worked well.

Keep in mind that a lot of FALs are put together by home shop guys who built from torn down machineguns, unless you are buying a New DAS SA58 you could easily be getting surplus parts on a new receiver.  Know what you are buying.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 01:51:21 PM »
I had an Armalite AR10 and liked it fine.  I currently have a FAL G1 and it shoots so well I can't justify another AR10type rifle, it never burps.  I have used silencers on both the Armalite and DPMS rifles and both worked well.

David, how about I'll take your FAL off your hands and free you up to get a NEW AR-10, scratching both of our itches!

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will stick with the .308 for ammo availability and (hopefully) cost.
Plus, I'm gravitating toward the more common platforms-FAL or AR-10. Maybe a CETME but they appear to be a crap-shoot in quality. If I'm going to pay $1000+ I think an FAL will fit the bill, they are pretty cool.

A-FIXER

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 07:55:34 PM »
You won't be unhappy with the .308.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 09:41:18 PM »
I had a DSA STG58 Para for awhile.  I liked it for the most part, especially the gas adjustment.  It was a solid rifle.  That being said, I hated the rear sights on it - very difficult to adjust with any precision.  So, I sold it.  I run an M1A now and love it; it just fits my frame better.  I recommend you try shooting a number of different battle rifles to see which fits you best before you drop $1K+ on one.  Also, consider picking up a copy of Boston's Gun Bible and check out his extremely thorough chapter on battle rifle evaluations/comparisons.  He covers everything.
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 11:58:15 AM »
M1A SOCOM = drooool, but huge money for the function you're getting...

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 04:26:52 PM »
M1A SOCOM = drooool, but huge money for the function you're getting...

Heh.  Overpriced?  Absolutlely, but why kick open a door when you can just shoot through the wall?  The SOCOM is 16" of .308 goodness that turns cover into concealment for CQB encounters throughout the world.
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 02:41:44 PM »
I know you've all be been waiting patiently to see what I chose. I decided on the FAL- an Entreprise STG-58 carbine to be specific (from here: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct458.aspx).
Take a look:

Just picked it up this week and it's about what I expected- not a DSA, but very solid. Haven't taken the opportunity to fire it yet- not sure about where you are but a little chilly & snowy around here. I've found a couple of pretty good deals on mags so have stocked up on those.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 07:08:21 AM »
Congrats!!
I think you'll like it.  Now, for the next question...are you going to leave it "open sights", or are you going to scope it?

Let the accessorizing begin... ;)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 05:27:38 PM »
Congrats!!
I think you'll like it.  Now, for the next question...are you going to leave it "open sights", or are you going to scope it?

If you're wanting to put some glass on it, take a look at the DSA scope mount.  I put one on my STG58 and it was really easy (though I would recommend buying DSA's hex head screws because the flat head screws that come with the scope mount strip easily - and don't forget blue loctite when you install it  ;)).  Congrats on your purchase; let's see a range report once you get a chance to take it out!

A-FIXER

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 10:07:05 PM »
I know you've all be been waiting patiently to see what I chose. I decided on the FAL- an Entreprise STG-58 carbine to be specific (from here: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct458.aspx).
Take a look:
WOW..... you got it from atlantic from Dec 2. and received it already? I put a EGW Dustcap replacement no set screws to mess with just slide out the orginal dustcap and the other slides in its place did you place an earlier order or did they ship it that fast...? none the less congrats on the new toy...

Just picked it up this week and it's about what I expected- not a DSA, but very solid. Haven't taken the opportunity to fire it yet- not sure about where you are but a little chilly & snowy around here. I've found a couple of pretty good deals on mags so have stocked up on those.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
Congrats!!

Let the accessorizing begin... ;)

The allure of fiddling with it is already strong....but I'm going to put a couple hundred rounds through it first to see what I 'need'. I am interested in adding a SAW grip and the scope mount ZombieHunter recommended with a lower power variable (2-7x maybe?). I don't intend to put any kind of railed handguard on it at this point- it's pretty heavy already and I don't think I need it. Possibly a bi-pod, but I doubt it, will cost plenty just to shoot it! Thanks again for the info.

Offline GREGG

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 02:15:54 AM »
If you have the money and are willing to spend it. Then Knight manufacting Company SR25M is the top of the food chain. They don't leave the factory without being able to do a 5 shot under a inch at 100 yard. Each rifle comes with the test target. Mine is same hole at 200 yards, it's broken in.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 05:51:46 PM »
I know tou already bought, but for the sake of discussion I recently looked over a FNH FNAR and was thoroughly impressed.  Based on the Browning BAR action it was a very solid rifle.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline f1fanatic

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
Nice FAL. Good choice I think, don't know much about them. In my humble opinion with the 7.62x51 cartridge it would be a shame not to put some quality glass on that weapon.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 01:19:01 PM »
Thanks, I'm a big fan of the FAL so far, and I think you're right about the .308's potential. I have a cheapo bushnell 3-9x variable that I'm planning to try out on it, then maybe the upgrade the optic later. Unfortunately the hammer just broke on this one this weekend- but so far Entreprise has been great, I called today and they've already emailed me a mailing label to return it for a complete check up and refit even though I offered to just have them ship me a new hammer for self-install.

I definitely see more .308's in my future, likely another FAL (DS Arms maybe) or possibly the Kel-Tec RFB bullpup. Now, if ammo prices would just come back down like gun prices have.....