< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What do you do to increase or maintain your shooting skills?  (Read 2157 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
What do you do to increase or maintain your shooting skills?
« on: February 05, 2016, 10:37:35 AM »
A number of people have actually read the Dryfire Challenge thread I started at the beginning of 2016, but only a couple of people are actually doing it, so it made me curious as to what people do to increase or at least maintain their shooting skills.

Do you do anything on a regular basis?  How do you at the very least maintain your skills? 

This poll isn't just about handgun shooting skills, though that is my main interest.  But for any shooting skills--what do you do to keep your skills from atrophying over time?  (Physical skills, they'll deteriorate without practice.)  What do you ACTUALLY do to keep them up?

Nothing?  (Lots of gun owners do precisely this, far as I can tell.)
Dryfire? 
Live fire practice? (Actually going out and working specific skills, as opposed to going to the range every once in awhile and plinking for fun.)
Shoot competitions?  (There are some people I know who only get out their guns to shoot a USPSA or IDPA match.  They might wear their guns on a daily basis, but the only time they are working any sort of shooting skill is in a match.)
Do you just go out and plink with some friends every once in awhile?

How often do you do these things? 

If you do more than one, which one do you do the most?  For me, the answer depends on the time of year.  Over most of the year (except for effectively June and July) I dryfire more than anything else.  I try to get to the range to practice, and I shoot competitions--but other than in summer, dryfire is by far what I do most to work on my skills.  In June and July I try to get to the range about 3x/week, if not more, so that is a little different.  But...10 out of the 12 months, dryfire is pretty much it.  I'm happy if I can get to the range for a little practice every two weeks, and often in the winter I don't even come near to doing that.

How do you practice?  What do you do that helps you maintain your skills?

(If you do "nothing" or "periodic shooting for fun" please actually put that.  I'm really interested in what the proportions are---because this forum is made up of people who are interested enough in guns to actually read and talk about them, which means you all probably practice more than the standard gun owner.  So what percentage of us folks actually practice, I wonder?)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: What do you do to increase or maintain your shooting skills?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 11:50:42 AM »
I use live fire practice, such as altering my grip or finger placement to learn how the firearm reacts, or slow fire weak hand unsupported for handgun. For rifle, I do much the same, with the addition of cleared manipulation of the firearm. Mag changes, sight acquisition, charging the rifle, and transitioning between irons/optics.

It's what seems to keep my skill level at an even point.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 12:01:01 PM »
In order, most to least in a year; Dry fire, live fire, training courses.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 12:40:34 PM »
All of the above with the exception of nothing and the addition of training.

Offline Bagntag

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 01:00:14 PM »
I try to dry fire at least ten times a day, three mag changes, ten holster and re-holster drills and I do all of this in front of a mirror. I also work on my footwork throughout the day. Footwork to me is one of the things people often forget about especially when their training is focused on a one way range or a "static shoot". Have to be able to move. All of this minus the footwork drills takes about ten minutes.
"A Nation of sheep, breeds a nation of wolves"
"A lot of people died fighting tyranny, the least I can do is vote against"
"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price"

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 01:13:43 PM »
Well, Let's See............

Classic Iron-Sight Dryfire:
Not really a classic dryfire fan.   With or without snap-caps.  I do enough CISDF (several hundred) with any new handgun as needed in order to get a good feel for its operation.  By then I'm tired of that process and wind up with chafed, irritated, rubbed raw, or otherwise hurting body parts, mostly somewhere in the fingers and hands.   Dryfire is what you do on these cold, blustery winter days when the indoor ranges are closed.

Red Laser Dryfire:

All my EDC handguns have Crimson Trace lasers.  I RLD-shoot stuff around the house using iron sight alignment or point fire and then check with the laser.   Until wife says "All Right Now, Stop It".   Then I go do shot placement on Liberals on TV.  Until wife says............  It's basically handgun fast-pointing practice.  Interestingly, laser batteries last quite a long time.

Outdoor Range Practice:
I shoot stationary targets with handguns at the outdoor range when not trapshooting.   Since I'm on summer vacation May-August, maybe 10-12,000 rounds/year, using .22LR, .38Spcl, 9mm, .40S&W, and .357Sig.  Stationary target shooting quickly loses its challenge and charm.   Not that I've got it mastered, rather:  Far From It.  I just plateau early at a mediocre C+/B- level.   Don't do much indoor range shooting any more.  [Which may change with new indoor ranges opening up in Omaha area.]

USPSA/IDPA/GSSF:
Now....these are the ideal shooting venues.   Don't do enuf of either of them.  Was in maybe two USPSA matches and one IDPA match in the last year.   And one GSSF hoo-raw.  Plus a Glock Instructor's Workshop held by the Most Excellent Dennis Tueller.   Hope to do more in the coming outdoor season.

BEST HANDGUN VENUE:
Make friends w/Guy w/acreage within an hour's drive.  Need Big Hill or creek gully for backstop.  You and shoot-savvy Friends set up your own Shoot-'n-Scoot scenarios w/designated safety officer(s), timers, etc.  Shoot and shoot some more until you can't stand it (which only lasts for an afternoon).  Shoot individuals and teams.  Show targets and brag.  Make side bets.  Come back next day, do it all over again.  And again.  Make sure you pamper that Friend.

That's About It For Now,

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Tj

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 04:10:35 PM »
Dry fire 3 or 4 times a week and Practice the draw. try and shoot once a week. Never been in a competition or anything, sounds like it may be fun. Maybe I'll go watch one sometime in person to check it out. Would like to take some training class, not really sure where to go though.

Offline MartyB

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 09:12:38 PM »

CALL OF DUTY
...said with tongue firmly planted in cheek

Sadly, I've observed prospective new firearms owners, browsing through the ARs at the gun counter, boasting about the relevance of their mad CoD skillz.

I suspect that may be ALL the 'practice' a lot of gun owners get.
Marty

NFOA Member, NE CHP Holder, GSSF Member, NRA Life Member, Glock Certified Armorer

Offline mikkojay

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 12:18:54 AM »
With ammo somewhat pricey I don't live fire as much as I would like to.  That, and I don't know anyone with an acreage within a mile  :(.

I do however have a couple of LaserLyte training cartridges that I dry fire with.
I created a DIY PC application to detect laser shots.  It is not as fancy as some of the commercial apps out there, but it works relatively well and suits my needs.  While writing the app, I tested the heck out of it.  That means I shot A LOT for a few months.  I noticed a marked improvement in muscle memory & confidence.
If anyone is interested in checking it out, it is free to download here:
http://northosoft.com/sharpspotter/HTML/index.html
There is a decent enough amount if info out there to get someone started if they were inclined to try it.

-Mike

Offline Mark B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 06:26:43 AM »
During the Winter when I cannot get to my range due to snow or mud, dry fire, draw practice, and mag changes. When at the range, stationary targets and moving from point to point. I have barrels set at different places and distances that I move from and to in various routines. I don't move as fast as I used to, I just do what I can with what I have.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 09:43:51 AM »
Well, apparently only 15 of us on this forum do anything to increase or maintain our skills.  :)

Reading the answers (and thanks to those people who provided answers!) has been interesting for a number of reasons.

It really would not have occurred to me to state "training classes" as an answer to my question, because I know very few people who actually have enough time and money to take training classes on a regular basis, which is what the question was about.  Even people who get sent to training by their departments generally don't get to do so on what I would consider a "regular basis." 

However, I'm glad to see that plenty of people get additional training.  Based on what I see at the range, I wish a lot more would do so.   :o

I'm going to reply to a bunch of people here, as reading answers got me curious about things.  Please don't take any of these as criticisms, they are more understanding fails on MY part.

I use live fire practice, such as altering my grip or finger placement to learn how the firearm reacts, or slow fire weak hand unsupported for handgun. For rifle, I do much the same, with the addition of cleared manipulation of the firearm. Mag changes, sight acquisition, charging the rifle, and transitioning between irons/optics.

So, lots of gun-handling skills and technique changes in live fire? 

Questions: 
1) How often do you live fire?
2) Do you work both pistol and rifle in the same live fire practice?  (How long do you practice?)
3) Do you find that changing your grip and finger placement often is helpful for consistency under stress (because you have to think about doing it properly in a more focused fashion), or that while it gives you a better idea of what is optimal, it is detrimental to fast responses under stress?

In order, most to least in a year; Dry fire, live fire, training courses.

Any approximates on relative ratios of practice?  How often each gets done?

All of the above with the exception of nothing and the addition of training.

You do all of that on a regular basis?  How do you find the time?

Or do you just switch from one thing to the next, so that you are doing at least something each week?  Do you do something at least once a week?  How often? 

For example:  I shoot a lot of competitions--pretty much two locals a month, plus 6-8 major matches per year.  Yet--I wouldn't say I really do those on a regular basis like some other people who do a competition match every week.  For them, that "regular basis" of matches helps keep their skills maintained.  For me, I don't compete enough.

So are you saying you do all of those, each enough on a regular basis to maintain your skills?

I try to dry fire at least ten times a day, three mag changes, ten holster and re-holster drills and I do all of this in front of a mirror. I also work on my footwork throughout the day. Footwork to me is one of the things people often forget about especially when their training is focused on a one way range or a "static shoot". Have to be able to move. All of this minus the footwork drills takes about ten minutes.

When you say "footwork throughout the day" what do you mean?  Any good drills you'd like to share?  How do you practice?  How do you relate your footwork and movement to the skills you'd like to practice in terms of firearms?  I assume you mean that footwork is important for self-defense practice, considering your use of the terms "one-way range" and "static shoot"--has your research found that for your lifestyle, movement should be an important priority?

....I'll get some questions for the other respondents in a bit.  :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:24:09 AM by jthhapkido »

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 01:39:00 PM »
I got talked into some dry fire practice this year :o.
I generally shoot about 3 local matches a month.
Live fire, sadly not nearly enough.  :-[

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 01:58:53 PM »
One choice should have been "all of the above."  I dryfire, live fire, get professional training and shoot competition. 

Sometimes I even see moderate improvement in my skills.  :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 02:03:26 PM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 04:41:12 PM »
Do I need to go back and put "on a regular basis" in bold with a larger font?   ::)

Maybe there is a difference between what I mean by "regular basis" and what other people are thinking.

I can't think of a single person here other than sjwsti who takes training classes "on a regular basis" (and I'm not sure exactly how many he does a year).  For training classes I wouldn't consider "on a regular basis" to be less than once a month.

I suppose that should be the question then, really:  What does "on a regular basis" mean to you?

For me, I dryfire almost every day (dang it, I've missed two days so far in 2016) and I try to get to the range in the cold months at least once every two weeks.  So far this year it has been better than that, though.  In the summer, I go at least 3x/week for live fire.  Competitions (like I said above) 2 locals a month (or so) and about (thinking about it further) 5-6 majors per year, most of which occur around summer.  And then I try to get at least one training class every year.  (And then I spend the rest of the year trying to integrate what I learned.  For me, I don't see much useful result in taking many training classes per year in new material, because I need time to integrate old material.)

So for me, I dryfire on a regular basis.  During the summer I live fire on a regular basis.  I do a number of competitions, but not often enough for it to be a regular basis sufficient to increase skills.  Similarly for live fire during the cold months.  I definitely don't take training classes "on a regular basis".

What do you consider "on a regular basis"?  For people saying "all of the above" how do you fit doing all of those on a regular basis into your life?  How much life do you have?

When I say "on a regular basis" I don't mean "scheduled periodically."  Regular basis to maintain shooting skills, or build shooting skills---which means you can't simply do it once in awhile.    Or even merely periodically, if the period is fairly long.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 07:51:32 AM »
Do I need to go back and put "on a regular basis" in bold with a larger font?   ::)

Maybe there is a difference between what I mean by "regular basis" and what other people are thinking.

I can't think of a single person here other than sjwsti who takes training classes "on a regular basis" (and I'm not sure exactly how many he does a year).  For training classes I wouldn't consider "on a regular basis" to be less than once a month.

I suppose that should be the question then, really:  What does "on a regular basis" mean to you?

For me, I dryfire almost every day (dang it, I've missed two days so far in 2016) and I try to get to the range in the cold months at least once every two weeks.  So far this year it has been better than that, though.  In the summer, I go at least 3x/week for live fire.  Competitions (like I said above) 2 locals a month (or so) and about (thinking about it further) 5-6 majors per year, most of which occur around summer.  And then I try to get at least one training class every year.  (And then I spend the rest of the year trying to integrate what I learned.  For me, I don't see much useful result in taking many training classes per year in new material, because I need time to integrate old material.)

So for me, I dryfire on a regular basis.  During the summer I live fire on a regular basis.  I do a number of competitions, but not often enough for it to be a regular basis sufficient to increase skills.  Similarly for live fire during the cold months.  I definitely don't take training classes "on a regular basis".

What do you consider "on a regular basis"?  For people saying "all of the above" how do you fit doing all of those on a regular basis into your life?  How much life do you have?

When I say "on a regular basis" I don't mean "scheduled periodically."  Regular basis to maintain shooting skills, or build shooting skills---which means you can't simply do it once in awhile.    Or even merely periodically, if the period is fairly long.

My "regular basis": 

Training (be it shooting/legal/emergency trauma care/mindset/hands on physical) is about 2x/year for the last several years.  I like to support local training events (the ones that are publicized anyway) and trainers when I can.  I'll travel to exotic locations like Kansas for training as well. 

Dryfire: 5x/week average.

Livefire:  Average 3x/month in decent weather.  Winter: 1x/month

Competition:  About 3x/year these days.  I need to get my butt out of bed on weekends and drive.  :)

Reloading:  2-3x/week in the reloading kingdom year 'round.

Brass whoring:  All the time!!!

In fact, I'm headed to the range today to run my dirty 1911 some more and shake the Texas dust off my shoes. 

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 08:32:28 AM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller