< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: EOTech replacement options  (Read 4628 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
EOTech replacement options
« on: February 06, 2016, 08:02:30 PM »
You may or may not know about the recent admissions by EOTech that their holographic weapon sights are defective. :o

Specifically shifting zero with temperature changes and almost immediate loss of the nitrogen gas that keeps the glass from fogging and related air leaks that I assume means that it will allow water intrusion.

My 512.A65 seems to function OK, but as my primary HD rifle optic, I don't trust it to not fail when I really need it.

My dilemma is this...I love the EOTech reticle and the field of view and can't bring myself to spend a lot of money on an Aimpoint optic that I do not like the dot or the tunnel vision.

My question is this...has anyone had any experience with the Meprolight TRUDOT RDS optic ? It is very similar in form factor to EOTech, but uses a 1.8 MOA dot

http://www.amazon.com/Meprolight-Mepro-Tru-Dot-RDS-Sporting/dp/B00NSYUJPG

Discuss
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: EOTech replacement options
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 08:10:14 PM »
 Im staying with the EOTech, I have 3 of them,   they admitted that SOME of them MIGHT be bad. Ive had one over 10 years, and until I have a problem. im keeping them
  I just bought one of there laser battery caps,  wonderful item, uses the same battery as the sight,

the one thing that I really like about them, they use standard AA battaries
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 08:17:40 PM »
i was never a fan of them, i didn't like the reticle.  however, won't they pay you full MSRP if you turn it in?  won't you be able to get an Aimpoint or other good red dot then?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 08:41:10 PM »
You have to have the reciept
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 08:46:02 PM »
was never a fan of them, i didn't like the reticle.  however, won't they pay you full MSRP if you turn it in?  won't you be able to get an Aimpoint or other good red dot then?

Yes I could get a refund.  I have the box and receipt. But I am keeping it as a back up/trainer for some of the rifles I have built for 7 grandsons.

I just can't afford 8 Aimpoints, so I may have too lower my sights to something like the Primary Arms clones
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 08:49:59 PM »
the one thing that I really like about them, they use standard AA battaries

Meprolight tru dot rds is also an AA powered optic and I can get 2 for the price of one Aimpoint with mount
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 09:01:19 PM »
I have the primary arms 1-6 I highly recommend there products. Price/quality ratio is excellent.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 09:22:47 PM »
I have the primary arms 1-6 I highly recommend there products. Price/quality ratio is excellent.

Not looking for a magnified optic for home defense
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline PC13

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 09:57:29 PM »
Dan, hope that BCM upper is running well for you?  :)

I have bought and used 3 of the Primary arms red dots.  I have Aimpoints, Eotechs and still have the PA dots.  For a primary HD gun, I'd stick with Aimpoint, but for the grandsons, the PA dots are a very good value for the money.   I have an EXPS 2.0 that's only a couple years old.  I briefly debated sending it back also, but the POI shifts as I recall are relatively minor and require extreme temperatures to fail.  I'm going to keep mine until I witness some valid reason not to, but I had the same initial feelings. 

If I may ask, why do you feel the Aimpoint gives you "tunnel vision"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 10:13:09 PM »
Dan, hope that BCM upper is running well for you?
That pencil barrel may be my favorite

If I may ask, why do you feel the Aimpoint gives you "tunnel vision"?
I have trouble finding the dot in fast transition and end up shooting one eyed which is not a good thing for CQB, but due to some cross dominance, an unbreakable habit I picked up shooting Trap for 20 years.

With the EOTech I can keep both eyes open without much thought
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 11:44:47 PM »
Not looking for a magnified optic for home defense
I,under stand that... I ment PA quality is excellent for the price.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 06:57:18 AM »
Vortex Spitfire or Burris AR-1X. etched reticle so even with no battery, it works. daylight bright illumination. very generous eye relief. Both have good, easy to find reticles. I have one of each and I love them.

Offline PC13

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 09:10:51 AM »

That pencil barrel may be my favorite

I have trouble finding the dot in fast transition and end up shooting one eyed which is not a good thing for CQB, but due to some cross dominance, an unbreakable habit I picked up shooting Trap for 20 years.

With the EOTech I can keep both eyes open without much thought

I like the lighter profile barrels as well. 

Understood about the eye issues.  Not sure I can offer anything useful for advice in that instance.  As you said, no scope type optic will be useful for HD.  Too close, too fast, probably too dark to utilize even a 1x power or a prism type. 

Have you tried something like a delta point? 

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 09:53:44 AM »
Have you tried something like a delta point?
NO, I have stubbornly clung to my only RDS and BUIS.

Delta Point looks to me to be more suited for pistol mounting and has a 3.5MOA dot which I consider too big
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline PC13

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 12:39:31 PM »
Gotcha.  They are more suited to that, but I thought they might help with the eye situation.  There are mounts out there that make them usable on an AR.  I have Aimpont micros and a PRO and they are my preference, but I do like the Eotech for some of the reasons you cited.  The battery life/technology of the Aimpoint just makes them such a useful thing for HD use. 
For your cited use (HD) it's unlikely you'll be using it in temps above 140, below -40 or underwater, so maybe the Eotech problems aren't that big of an issue?  :)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 03:12:29 PM »
After reading a few reviews, in particular

http://www.thebangswitch.com/meprolight-tru-dot/

I decided to order one
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 05:04:53 PM »
Dan,
 I don't remember off the top of my head if he discusses the Mepro, but there is a great thread at AR15.com from the owner of BattleField Vegas regarding all the optics they have used there and the durability. VERY informative and written without a bias. He just updates with how the various optics are doing with 100,000+ rounds through the weapons.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1790052_High_round_count_optics__over_100_000_rounds__and_how_they_handled_at_our_range.html
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 05:33:00 PM »
Mali....from that thread

Have you had any experience with the Meprolight Tru-Dot RDS on range guns?

Yes sir, we have two of them. One (newer) is installed on our factory full-auto Tavor and the other one (older) is mounted on our F2000. The second one has been on the daily for the last two years and gets it fair share of abuse with zero problems to date.

V/R
Ron
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 09:56:11 PM »
Mali....from that thread

I thought I had seen them mentioned. Sounds like you picked a good brand based on their results.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 10:04:24 PM »
I thought I had seen them mentioned
There may be some question about which Meprolight optic the guy was referring to because the Tru Dot was not available 2 years ago
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder