< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Glock Gen4 RSA  (Read 2202 times)

Offline wcr

• NFOA Full Member
Glock Gen4 RSA
« on: February 07, 2016, 03:55:25 PM »
Decided to clean my Glock 19 Sunday.  All was fine until I reassembled it.  When I had it together I racked it to ensure the trigger was working (no ammo in it) .  To my surprise the RSA (recoil spring assembly) was sticking out  through the hole in the front (below the barrel).   This bothered me a lot imagining what pressure an actual recoil would have put on it.  Definitely not good in a self defense situation.  Anyway I got it back together, but am distrustful of it now.

Got on the internet and googled, "glock spring problems" and found there was a recall by glock.  "Glock Spring Exchange Program".  Part of the text reads,

"GLOCK is replacing the RSA in all Gen4s sold before July 22, 2011 at no cost."
and has a contact phone number (M-F).

I've had no problems prior to this and really like the G19.  Mine was bought before the listed date.  Below is a link to information their Recoil Spring Exchange program with a phone number.

Link:  https://us.glock.com/customer-service/recoil-spring-exchange

They are closed today I'll be phoning them Monday.    There are a couple of YouTube videos on the issue.   I know we have some Glock Armorers in the forums any info they could supply would be appreciated.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Glock Gen4 RSA
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 04:36:07 PM »
Was it just the rod sticking out?

Or was it the spring ?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 04:41:37 PM »
wcr, heard that was a problem on the gen 4's.  I'm happy with my gen 3's, the gen 4's aren't as comfortable for me.  ymmv.

Offline wcr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 05:28:32 PM »
I believe it was the rod.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 07:01:38 PM »
I believe it was the rod.
That can happen when the RSA is not properly seated on the correct (lower) barrel seating notch
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline wcr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 07:58:55 PM »
Thanks Dan.  I'm pretty sure it was on the lower  barrel seating .  I learned when I first got the Glock to watch for that.  I usually compress the spring and seat it.  Then check it to ensure it is on the proper barrel seating.  If not I compress it further to seat it on the lower seating pressing down with my other thumb.  However, as I pushed the slide back onto the receiver I felt something catch or drag, that's when I knew something was amiss, and I noticed the RSA protruding from the front. 
After watching the below video.  I'm thinking it was on the lower seat but not centered.

Seems to be seated and working properly now, However, I will probably still check on the recall.  I figure Glock didn't implement it without knowing something I don't. 

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 08:13:19 PM »
Seems to be seated and working properly now, However, I will probably still check on the recall.  I figure Glock didn't implement it without knowing something I don't. 

I use Wolff guide rods and springs in my G26 and G30 with 2 stage RSA and my G17 uses an ISMI spring on a stainless steel guide rod
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline wcr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 11:13:44 AM »
Good Customer Service on the Recall.  I called this morning and was second in wait line.  Took my gun SN  and verified  it was on the recall.  Personal info on where to ship the new RSA.  They include a postage paid envelop for you to return the old RSA.  He said it should arrive 7-10 days.  Total time maybe 5 minutes. 

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 01:49:19 PM »
Good Customer Service on the Recall.  I called this morning and was second in wait line.  Took my gun SN  and verified  it was on the recall.  Personal info on where to ship the new RSA.  They include a postage paid envelop for you to return the old RSA.  He said it should arrive 7-10 days.  Total time maybe 5 minutes. 

Wow, that's great CS.