< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anyone have experience with shooting an AR15 lefthanded suppressed?  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
Ive been shooting a right handed AR for some time but would like to suppress it, been hearing it's tough on a lefty because of the blowback of gas and oil, etc.  Would rather not change to a left-handed upper for cost sake. I realize I can get a gas buster charging handle but would this be enough?   

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Anyone have experience with shooting an AR15 lefthanded suppressed?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 05:15:21 PM »
I have lots of experience shooting a AR lefthanded with a suppressor.

The debris you get in the face is not from around the charging handle, it is from the ejection port. 

What I have found works best is using a .30 suppressor, this reduces the amount of backpressure.

John K

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 06:02:53 PM »
Thanks, I've been told the same about a 30 cal can    Which can are you running?

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 06:56:27 PM »
I'm a lefty and shoot normal and SBR'd ARs suppressed with a 30 cal 762 SDN-6. All I shoot is suppressed. Some gas and debris but nothing that turns me off from Shooting.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 07:00:02 PM »
Yeah, I'm a lefty and shoot a suppressed AR (a couple actually). Even low velocity rounds like 300 blackout subsonic will throw debris from the ejection port in your face. I've spent a lot of money trying to "fix" the problem.

I've tried gas blocker charging handles, adjustable gas blocks, a forward assist replacement with a special port in it, a piston upper, and the list goes on. I have a left-hand upper and it does solve most of the problem. The adjustable gas block also helps a little bit and can also keep the BCG from slamming into the buffer, too (nice side effect).

Mostly, I think the most sound advice I have is: deal with it. If it's a big distraction while you're bench shooting, a brass catcher actually eliminates A LOT of the blow back, but isn't real great for run-and-gun stuff.

Good luck and I hope you know that NFA stuff is a sickness -- plus, once you have it you can't get rid of it.  ;D

Offline mike_p

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 08:23:37 PM »
Another lefty here. I've also tried several solutions to the back pressure from a suppressor. One big help was switching from a Ranier Arms Raptor charging handle to a MEGA charging handle. It seems to seal up the charging g handle slot a lot better. I've been considering a different platform, like a HK roller lock style gun. Something that the back end is sealed up on.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 07:03:50 AM »
Appreciate all the responses, lots of info out there on different forums and most of isn't helpful.