< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Iowa university/college property laws  (Read 956 times)

Offline Am1117

• Forum Member
Iowa university/college property laws
« on: February 09, 2016, 12:57:48 PM »
I'm sorry I know this is a Nebraska forum but I had no luck finding an answer on Iowa forums.

I'm confused if the law is more strict on Iowa Western campus than the law states for school grounds. The law reads that firearms must be unloaded and in a locked secure case to large to be concealed or in trunk if one is on school property. But Universities have the rights to implement their set of rules it seems. Does this mean that an unloaded secured weapon in trunk etc can still be a violation of the law on university property?

Thanks for any help.

Tony

Offline bradhaas

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Iowa university/college property laws
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 01:19:57 PM »
You may need to ask an Iowa lawyer or law enforcement official for clarification, but I think Iowa law only prohibits possession of firearms on elementary and secondary school property, and on state university (Iowa, Iowa State, UNI) property.  IWCC policy does prohibit firearms, but that doesn't have the force of law.  Last I checked, their policy doesn't specify what exactly happens if you're found to possess a firearm on campus.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Iowa university/college property laws
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 05:37:08 AM »
RESIDENCE HALL POLICY
Guns and Weapons Policy

Any type of gun including paintball guns, airsoft guns, pellet guns, etc; bows and arrows, tasers, and other weapons are prohibited in residence halls. Knives are generally prohibited in the residence halls except for kitchen utensils (such as butter knives and bread knives). Knives designed primarily for purposes other than kitchen use (such as switchblades and hunting knives) are prohibited from all buildings. A student is not permitted to carry a knife on campus for purposes of self-protection. A student may possess a small knife if necessary to serve a legitimate educational purpose. For example, an Art student enrolled in a course which requires students to use a knife to complete Art assignments may use a knife specially designed for Art projects for classroom assignments. Any device that has the appearance and/or function of a serviceable weapon or is being used in a manner of a real weapon is also prohibited in residence halls. Possession of a weapon or knife is a serious offense that may result in immediate eviction from the halls.

Explosives
The possession, use or distribution of any type of fireworks, ammunition/gun powder, fuses, or any explosives/combustibles of any kind is prohibited and will result in disciplinary action. Propane tanks may not be stored in residence halls.
==============================================================
NEWS ARTICLE

IOWA CITY — A new University of Iowa student group backs the idea of letting someone with a gun license carry the gun on campus, a move one student member says would increase personal safety.
The new group, Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, is a UI chapter of a national group that has about 43,000 members. Iowa State University also has a chapter.
They advocate that people who are licensed to carry firearms should be allowed the same protection on campus that they have in most other places under Iowa law, August Meyer, UI senior in psychology and a UI chapter founder, said.

“A person who is licensed to carry a firearm off campus isn’t going to be any more dangerous on campus,” Meyer, 26, said. “Public safety is our No. 1 priority and concern.”
No one other than certified law enforcement officers are allowed to carry guns on the campuses of the UI, ISU and the University of Northern Iowa. University police do carry guns as standard equipment, a change made in 2007 after a state Board of Regents’ review of  safety procedures in the wake of the Virginia Tech campus shootings.
The organization went through the proper channels to become a recognized student group, and Chuck Green, director of UI Police, said he didn’t have a comment on the group or its mission beyond that.

The ban on carrying guns at the three university campuses has been in place for some times, Green said.
“I would just say that there’s no plan for this policy to change, and even if there was a change that would have to be addressed and come through the regents,” he said.

FYI,

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer