< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Getting started re-loading  (Read 5617 times)

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
Getting started re-loading
« on: October 21, 2007, 08:38:57 PM »
Well, I have been wanting to get into re-loading for quite a while, but it seems like there has always been so much going on I just never carved out the time to get things started. Well, now that the kids are getting older and shooting more than .22's all day, I just can't afford to keep the whole family stocked with store bought ammo. It was tough enough when it was just me using the larger calibers.

So, what advice do you all have as far as what I should get for equipment and supplies to get started? Does someone sell a "package" reasonably priced? What's the best way to go for someone on a budget to get started re-loading? 

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Getting started re-loading
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 10:01:38 PM »
First, ask yourself ,"What am I trying to do?" Are you going to dip your toe in and see if it's for you? Are you you going to be loading cheap range ammo? Or are you planning on entering long range matches or Benchrest competitions? Are you loading for 1 gun or are you feeding a collection?

The most inexpensive equipment out there is made by Lee Precision. Inc. I started with their Challeger Kit for (IIRC) about $70, 5 years ago. I broke the links on the press twice neck sizing rifle cases, and Lee replaced the links for free. I've since bought a sturdier press(a Redding), but some of Lee's tools (their case length trimmer and priming system for example) are better designed and WORK BETTER than their competitors' tools costing many times over what the Lee's do.......

I have loaded thousands of rifle and pistol rounds on the set up....... It has definitely paid for itself..........

And aside from the saving money (handloads cost about 1/2 of what major name brands do), rollin' yer own lets you tailor your loads  to your needs. Don't have money for a varmit rifle? Roll up some 100 grain hollow points for that '06............. (more practice is better, and you can comfortably fire 100-200 prairie dog loads in a day from a sporter weight rifle- fire that many full power 165 or 180 grainers and your shoulder is going to be crying for ice!). Plus, there is always  the satisfaction of "I made that!" And then there all the things you can learn- Ballistic Coefficients, Sectional Density, pressure curves, the different takes on bullet construction......... the fact that every rifle is different, even those of the same make and model may shoot better (or worse!) with a particular bullet/load/seating depth/ amount of crimp...........
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 10:47:32 PM »
I started with a single stage Lee anniversary kit. It cost about $70, and had everything but the dies that I needed to get started. It served it's purpose, and I'm still using most of the kit, but I have slowly been replacing the pieces with better quality counter-parts, and I want to get a progressive press here shortly. If you are looking to start with a single stage press, and want a kit, I would recommend the RCBS kit. It costs a little bit more than the Lee kit, but it is complete, and it contains very high quality parts backed by a no questions asked lifetime warranty. Don't get me wrong, the Lee kit works, but I have had some things break. Most quality reloading equipment will last a lifetime, so it's a good idea to spend a little bit extra and have something that you can count on for years to come.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 03:06:26 PM »
Ughh, been looking on-line at kits, and can't make up my mind what to do. Cabela's has a few different kits on their site, and I'm not sure which way to go. I see Lee has a kit that is a bit more expensive than their anniversary kit, looks like a different press. Would that be the way to go, or will the anniversery kit do what I want to do? I am going to be re-loading a wide variety of calibers.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 03:16:44 PM »
You can get factory seconds (paint defects, customer returns) from Lee Precision, Inc., for 60% off list prices (which are lower than Cabela's Price....... cut out the middleman......... There is a coupon in the back of their reloading manual for this offer......... I'll see if I can find it.......
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 04:05:02 PM »
Yeah, I see seconds on the manufacturer's site. I just thought a large retail store site would be a good place to see and compare a variety of products side be side.

Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 01:01:21 PM »
Check out http://www.midwayusa.com - they have about everything, their prices are great, and best of all shipping is reasonable and fast.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 01:04:57 PM by Sam »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re:Midway
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 10:49:45 AM »
Shipping used to be FREE  :'(  ............

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 12:00:19 PM »
OK, anyone that knows me will unequivocally tell you one thing about me, when I get an idea in my head and decide to do it, I want to do it NOW! 

So, I ended up getting home from work and turning right around to head to Omaha to look at reloading stuff. Man, the $500 Dillon set up was COOL  :o but there is no way I could justify spending that much money (even if I had it to spend, which I don't) on something that I knew absolutely nothing about yet. Sooo, after much deliberation and pacing back and forth, I ended up bringing home the Lee Anniversary kit for just under 70 bucks. I picked up some free literature and also bought a copy of the Second Edition of "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee. I found a thread on the Glock Talk forums for reloading newbies that contained links to all sorts of information (I highly suggest anyone interested in getting started go to Glock Talk and check out the reloading forum) so I guess I will spend this weekend edumacatin' myself on the basics of reloading. I haven't purchased any bullets or powder yet, but I did get a set of 30-06 dies, so hopefully I can use all the brass Nick used up last week and at least get the casings prepped. This sounds fun, I'm excited.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 01:40:48 PM »
If you have any questions, ask! I've used all that stuff.

helpful hint #1: Use a 3/8 electric drill to trim, debur, chamfer, and clean rifle cases, all in one operation..........

Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 02:50:30 PM »
Here's another great reloading forum: http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=9

Administrator

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 02:51:40 PM »

Yeah, the shipping and minimum order charges suck.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 02:25:32 PM »

Yeah, the shipping and minimum order charges suck.

USA Midway has a minimum of $25.00 purchase any amount below does have a shipping surcharge.
Also any gun powder or primers has a federal mandated hazardous material charge of $20.00, this is not charged on ammunition.
Have purchased many times from Midway and found there shipping to be quite reasonable.
Delivery is quick from there central location in Columbia, MO
www.midwayusa.com/
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 02:30:03 PM by Randy A »
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline iiranger

• Forum Member
"Find your groove!" Re: Getting started re-loading
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 12:25:19 PM »
My standard advice is to hit a couple gun shows and buy up 6 or more used reloading manuals. Different brands.  Read them. One brand will "read easier" for you. Buy one of those new for current data.

With the extensive immersion in the method(s) you will start to see what you need (and want) for what you want to do. Lee hand press and set of dies for 20 or 40 bolt action rifle loads for deer a year. Dippers for powder do an adequate job if you don't have to have the flattest primers around...  Plenty. If you plan on competing in pistol, you may want a progressive press capable of making the thousands of rounds a year you will need. Competition? Some don't even use a press. Wilson hand dies for one. Now what they spend on case prep tools gets unreal. "Find your groove" but you won't stay in it. Always something else to try. New? Well, new to you. Might help. Might gather dust. (There is ebay???) Happy New Year. Luck.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 11:24:58 PM »
Luck?  Luck is with him that practices.  More bangs for the buck if ya roll yer own......

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 09:34:55 PM »
How's the handloading coming Jay?

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 09:47:04 PM »
Honestly, I have taken the kit out of the box, and that is as far as I have gotten.   :-\   I quite honestly just have not taken the time to get started. With moving last year and doing major renovations on the new place, the kids, this organization, and work, etc..., it just seems as though I can always find something else higher up the priority list. I know we all have these excuses, but my "free time" to myself that I don't spend outside emptying boxes of store bought ammo usually seems to be out in the shed wrenching on a Harley or a 4X4. Someday..... but I have been saying that for a long time.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:48:06 PM by Jay »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 10:38:24 PM »
If you want help, ask!

Offline Rule#.308

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 11:08:21 PM »
I wish I had gotten in on this from the get go.  I have nothing against kits but the problem is once you get into it you tend to replace things like the balance beam scale with a digital unit as well as upgrading in other areas.  I have a single stage Lee press which works fine, but to go with it I have a Lyman case trimmer, a digital scale and an RCBS competition powder dump.  I reload for .308, 30-30, 30-40 Krag, 30-06 Garand and 7.5x55 Schmidt Rubin rifles as well as .45 ACP and .38 special hand guns.
The scale and powder dump make my reloading go much faster which is a good thing since I can easily take 3 or more rifles to the range and pop out 150 or so rounds in an afternoon.  Take your time, remember you don't have to do everything at once.  Just tonight I decapped, resized, trimmed and primed 100 rounds of 30-30 in about an hour and a half.  I put the primed cases in a plastic container and will load them with power and bullets at a later date.  I have at least 100 rounds of primed brass ready to charge about all the time.  That way if I'm short on time and have a match in the morning all I have to do is fill my powder dump with the powder I use on each rifle, set the caliper using the digital scale to get it just right, then start dumping powder, seat the bullet and crimp it on certain rifles.  I do not crimp the .308 as mine is a Thompson Encore break open single shot (I also only neck size for this rifle).  I also do not crip the Garand as the recoil is so mild I am not concerned the bullets will seat deeper with recoil.
As for books, I prefer the "One Book One Caliber" manuals available for $6.00 to $10.00 each.  I would also recommend you set up a spread sheet on each firearm you load for, that way you can keep track of what you have tried and what works best.  You can also use the spread sheet to keep track of the air temperature, wind and so on.  It is true that different rifles like different loads and once you find a sweet heart you don't want to loose it.  There are also many different powders out there and you will again have to find what your rifle likes.  My 30-30 like Winchester 748 and 760 which are ball powders, while my .308 prefers the extruded IMR 4064 with a Nosler 150 grain Partition for hunting.  The Garand likes 47 grains of Hodgens 4895 or 48.1 grains of IMR 4895 with 150 grain Hornady BTSP bullet.  If you hunt you will be using different bullets (I prefer Nosler Partitions and Ballistic Tips) than you would use for accuracy punching paper (my .308 really likes the Sierra 168 grain match bullet with Varget powder for long range target).
The single most important thing I can pass on to anyone who is starting to reload is very simple "Velocity has nothing to do with accuracy.  In other words when you look in the book and you see a load that will send that bullet down range at 2700 feet per second you may find it all over the paper, so you back off to say 2500 feet per second and find the rifle will put them through the same hole at one hundred yards and give you a one inch group at 400 yards.
When I am working with a new powder or bullet I start on the lower end of the charts (but not the very bottom) and work my way up in 1/2 grain increments using 5 round groups.  when I get one pretty close to what I want I will fine tune using 1/10 grain increments until I can get all 5 holes touching at 100yds off the bench.  (This is where the digital scale comes in handy).  Have fun, hand loading is as much science as sending a rocket to the moon.  Or at least 1000 yards down range.
Don't pick a fight with an old man.  If he's to old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 11:25:11 PM »
"when you look in the book and you see a load that will send that bullet down range at 2700 feet per second you may find it all over the paper, so you back off to say 2500 feet per second and find the rifle will put them through the same hole at one hundred yards and give you a one inch group at 400 yards."

You may also find that a slower load does not group as well as a faster one: my most tested gun/load does best (smallest group/lowest SD in velocity) at .5 gr below max.... each gun/load combination is unique...... as you said- start out at the "start load" ( I wonder why they call it that?) and work up...... return to "start load" anytime you change any component....... different bullet brands of the same weight may not produce the same internal ballistics- different alloys for bullet jackets and or ogive shape/length of bearing surface .......  name of the game is try it and see what works.