< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Doctor asks Do you own a gun?  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Mark B

• NFOA Full Member
Doctor asks Do you own a gun?
« on: February 15, 2016, 05:08:49 PM »
A friend went in yesterday for his annual checkup at his Doctor in Wakefield. While he was in the Exam room the Doctor asked, Do you own guns? Do you keep them locked up? Friends reply was, what does this have to do with my exam? Has anyone had this experience? I will be going in a couple of months and would like to be polite but very firm in letting him know that it's no business of his.

Offline tackle8

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Doctor asks Do you own a gun?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 05:37:52 PM »
I have never been asked.  If I am ever asked, I will find a new doc.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 05:41:58 PM »
Ask the Doctor back ...

Why do I have Lead poisoning ?
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline wcr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 06:21:55 PM »
Year or so I was asked.  I also noticed the answers were being typed into a computer form which means they put into a database.  I just said I preferred not to answer.  I asked why he need that information, and got some BS about for men my age suicide by guns was not that uncommon.  Since I wasn't depressed or having any mental problems I figured it was just the government trying to build a database, so didn't answer.  The doc said he had just gone through this with another patient (gun owner) just three hours before.  My degree is in CS.  It is very easy to create a database from this info.  Also is your wife or child being asked the same questions and how are they answering?  Easy to run a database query for your last name and address and see if the answere for you, your spouse, and children match.    I'll let your minds wonder who this is shared with and why the questions are there.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 06:28:32 PM »
I was asked this maybe a year ago when I was in hospital, what I told the person writing stuff down, I cant print here!
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 08:20:51 PM »
I haven't been asked yet...but my doctor has a bunch of hunting and shooting mags in the waiting room. :)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 09:17:01 PM »
Our pediatrician asked my wife. I was not present. She answered truthfully. I was mad when I found out. It's none of their business, period. They said they want guns locked up and away from kids, I agree there, but don't ask if I have them, just say keep them locked up.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Mark B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 09:42:49 PM »
From the replies it has been happening for some time. Is there a directive coming from the AMA, CDC, or ?

Offline deputygunner

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 07:01:11 AM »
I had it happen a few years ago, during a physical. I said that had nothing to do with my health. Got up, got dressed and walked out, never went back.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 07:42:32 AM »
I agree completely that this is really a NONE of their business unless I am there for a firearm related issue like having suffered a ND injury or lead poisoning symptoms.

I have not had them ask, but then I usually have an empty IWB holster on my hip when I go in for an exam since I can't carry my gun into the building. Have a feeling they know the answer before ever asking me.  :D
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 10:13:11 AM »
I've never been asked and I doubt that the small clinic I use would ask. The closest they have come was a questionnaire about symptoms of depression. The doctor said it sometimes is a problem for elderly men. A few years ago, in a hospital emergency room, I was asked if I was at risk for domestic violence. (The question may have been prompted by the fact that I had been hauled in after falling face first onto a sidewalk.) Surprised, I snorted, "Hell, no!"

If asked about gun ownership, I would reply in the affirmative. How the doctor replied would determine the subsequent direction of the conversation. It wouldn't bother me to be asked or reminded about storage and safe handling. On the other hand, if the response consisted of gun control claptrap, it could get ugly. I would systematically refute the doctor's anti-gun arguments and not back down. The doctor likely would learn more about the subject than he or she wanted to know.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 10:57:54 AM »
"Is that information relevant to my health?" 

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 10:59:45 AM »
I'm concerned that like it was previously stated, that if you reply yes, it will become part of a database since everything is online, then the gov will come looking for ya in the future.