< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anyone have carry insurance and if so through who?  (Read 2622 times)

Offline Trigger

• NFOA Full Member
Anyone have carry insurance and if so through who?
« on: February 16, 2016, 10:20:44 AM »
I was just wondering if any of you have insurance to cover you should you ever have to use your weapon in self defense. Supposedly, some plans will find you a lawyer and provide so much towards bail, attorney fees, court costs, etc. Who would you recommend going through? USCCA, Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network? The NRA I think provides some as well. Any thoughts?

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Anyone have carry insurance and if so through who?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 02:34:58 PM »
When I started out, it was recommended to have a personal liability policy, which I have thru Farm Bureau for next to nothing per month.

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 04:24:17 PM »
When I started out, it was recommended to have a personal liability policy, which I have thru Farm Bureau for next to nothing per month.

Is that the so called "umbrella policy"?
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 05:50:20 PM »
I'd recommend checking into The Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network.  Lots of educational DVDs and a couple of books come with membership.  I believe it's 125 a year now.  I have a $25 discount code that I'm pretty sure is still good if you're interested.

They actually have a buyers guide on their website: http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/index.php/learn/307-buyers-guide
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 06:47:44 PM »
I went with the USCCA. They pay all of my expenses without me having to prove my innocence first. They have training materials and it comes with a subscription to Concealed Carry magazine as well.
$1.2M in total coverage for $30/month. Also, my family is covered if something happens in the house and they have to use one of my guns. Outside the house it's all me.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline TroyR

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 09:15:16 PM »
I went with ACLDN.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 11:31:08 PM »
Is that the so called "umbrella policy"?

I ask because I'm curious if anyone knows of a major insurance company that offers an umbrella policy which does not exclude self defense. I have heard that a lot of them do.  I have USAA for home and auto and should ask about that. 

An umbrella policy without a self defense exclusion would seem to be a LOT better value than some piddly dink outfit offering a policy based on the tiny probability of using a gun in self defense.  I mean, if you live a good clean life, work hard so you can reside in a halfway decent neighborhood, and use common sense and situational awareness, we're probably talking about a probability of one in many millions. And what happens if you use a frying pan or baseball bat in self defense? Not covered?

And then there's the perception that you bought a policy exclusively for shooting people, which might prove more of a legal liability than an asset in the end.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 07:10:40 AM »
ask because I'm curious if anyone knows of a major insurance company that offers an umbrella policy which does not exclude self defense. I have heard that a lot of them do.  I have USAA for home and auto and should ask about that. 

An umbrella policy without a self defense exclusion would seem to be a LOT better value than some piddly dink outfit offering a policy based on the tiny probability of using a gun in self defense.  I mean, if you live a good clean life, work hard so you can reside in a halfway decent neighborhood, and use common sense and situational awareness, we're probably talking about a probability of one in many millions. And what happens if you use a frying pan or baseball bat in self defense? Not covered?

Give USAA a call and review your home owner policy.  Many of them actually have a SD clause attached.  HOWEVER, the commonly provide reimbursement. 

And then there's the perception that you bought a policy exclusively for shooting people, which might prove more of a legal liability than an asset in the end.

Offline Trigger

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 10:42:31 AM »
Thanks guys!! Appreciate the info!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 12:41:26 PM »

A competent lawyer can fix that. A counter argument would be that buying more car insurance than the state minimum demonstrates financial prudence rather than the intent to drive recklessly.

ACLDN has some good people, such as Massad Ayoob, associated with it. Think of them as a skilled support network rather than simple insurance.

Offline Captdad17

• Former cop, prior military, protective dad. Don't touch my tools or my daughter and we'll get along just fine.
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 08:18:08 AM »
I'm going with USCCA.  Impressed with their plans and what they cover.  I love the magazine (which I already have) and the Challenge Coin is pretty cool, too.  The big selling point for me was how they approach a self-defense shooting.  They make sure you realize that your life will never be the same again, no matter how it turns out.  You'll probably go to jail, so they help with bail.  You'll need a lawyer right away, so they get one lined up for you.  You'll loose your weapon, they help to get it back.  Lots of little details that you wouldn't normally think about or realize unless you worked in the criminal justice system yourself.  But my best advice is to do your own research and go with whatever you're most comfortable with.  Eventually, you'll find one that stands out to you.
When faced with a crisis, ask yourself three questions: Is anyone dead?  Is anyone hurt?  Are there hostages?  If the answer to all three is "No", then calm down, it's not a crisis.