< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Safety includes paying attention to the range rules...  (Read 1500 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Safety includes paying attention to the range rules...
« on: March 02, 2016, 01:57:13 PM »
Recently, in addition to the various egregious violations of basic safety rules that I've seen from random people on the range, I've also run into a number of people who don't seem to understand that RANGES have rules also, and if you are on that range, those range safety rules are important and have to be followed.

Sure, at some ranges some of those rules are merely procedural in nature, and some are written by people who are afraid of "rapid fire" that is faster than 1 round every two seconds or who think that drawing from the holster will result in a bloodbath for everyone on the range.  So what?  They aren't ALL that way, and some may be range rules for safety reasons you don't happen to know about.

And you don't get to pick and choose which range rules you are going to follow, if you want to keep shooting at the range.

https://precisionresponse.wordpress.com/2016/03/02/range-safety-part-i/

People REALLY need to be follow the safety rules.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Safety includes paying attention to the range rules...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 02:57:17 PM »
All The Above:  Roger That.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 07:42:27 PM »
Bravo.

Having worked at an indoor public shooting range for more than a decade I know the following to be true; There is a small percentage of shooters that wont follow the rules. No matter what. You can have them read the rules. You can then explain the rules. You can have signs pointing out the rules as they are entering the range. None of it will matter. Within, literally, a couple minutes of them reading and having the rules explained they will ignore them and do something stupid. Some gun owners believe they are above the rules, or smarter than the rules, take your pick. This is the exact reason why I no longer work behind a counter at a public range and will never do so again. It is also why I dont enjoy shooting at public ranges unless there is a range safety officer present at all times.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 07:49:33 PM »
I was pulling my targets at a range when some clown actually shot at his target. While I was down range. Needless to say I am no longer a member of that range.

I think it comes down to the simple fact that some people are idiots.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »
It is also why I dont enjoy shooting at public ranges unless there is a range safety officer present at all times.

- Shawn

And even then... I was at Big Shots last year and had a dude turn to his buddy to say he was sure there was something wrong with the sights on his Glock... while he was pointing the gun at me.  He puffed out his chest when I put my hand on his forearm to point the gun away from me, but couldn't spit out "I'm sorry" fast enough when I firmly told him he had just pointed his as-far-as-I'm-concerned loaded gun at me.  I haven't been back since and prefer to shoot on private property rather than a public range.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 08:16:57 PM »
And even then... I was at Big Shots last year and had a dude turn to his buddy to say he was sure there was something wrong with the sights on his Glock... while he was pointing the gun at me.  He puffed out his chest when I put my hand on his forearm to point the gun away from me, but couldn't spit out "I'm sorry" fast enough when I firmly told him he had just pointed his as-far-as-I'm-concerned loaded gun at me.  I haven't been back since and prefer to shoot on private property rather than a public range.

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com