< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: The Uncertain Future of Heller  (Read 1977 times)

Offline UseofForceLawyer

• NFOA Full Member
The Uncertain Future of Heller
« on: March 07, 2016, 11:57:19 AM »
As most of you are aware, Heller v District of Columbia is the foundational SCOTUS case on the Second Amendment and rights to individual possession of firearms. The central holding of Heller is that the language "keep and bear arms" is an individual right associated with the traditional right of self defense and is not necessarily tied to the collective establishment of a local militia.

Heller was closely decided: it was 5-4 with Scalia in the majority.

Last week I had a lengthy discussion with Alan Gura, the 2nd Amendment lawyer who tried both Heller and the McDonald v Chicago cases in the Supreme Court. I asked the obvious question: how Justice Scalia's death changes the game. He said what I assumed was true: if whoever the President is appoints a member of the Court that disagrees with Heller, "it's over. There is no two ways about it."

It was a sobering discussion.

Just another reminder about how important it is that we elect a President who is committed to appointing members of the bench who are committed to a originalist understanding of the Constitution and who will not import the values of the current legal class into his or her opinions.

Gary Young
www.ccwlegalsurvivalnebraska.com

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
Re: The Uncertain Future of Heller
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 08:39:34 AM »
Scalia will be missed and he will be hard to replace.  So far it looks like the Republicans intend to do their sworn duty by keeping Obama from further corrupting the Court by appointing another Constitution-hating liberal to it.  I did see something put out a week or so ago on Facebook by Deb Fischer asking how her constituents felt about allowing Obama to make a replacement, so it would be a good idea for all patriots to make both of our senators aware that we absolutely do not want another Obama appointee on the Court, and we do expect our senators to do their sworn duty in defending the Constitution.

I think Cruz is the one most likely to appoint a loyal American to the Court.  We know Hillary will appoint a traitor (one who levies war on the Constitution in other words).  Trump is an unknown.

Is there any mechanism in our law to remove a justice from the Court who flagrantly disregards the law?  For example, when Sotomayor was being considered she was asked about the Heller Decision and she said it was "settled law," but when she was on the Court and the McDonald case came before the Court she cast her vote to undermine the same right that had been affirmed by Heller, showing her to be a liar as well as a traitor.  So is there any way a rogue justice like her (and Kagan, Ginsberg, etc.) can be removed if a loyal American wins the next election and brings in a majority of loyal Americans in both houses of Congress?  Or would it take a Constitutional Amendment?
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline UseofForceLawyer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 08:52:29 AM »
Removing a Justice would require impeachment. That isn't going to happen.

Resisting an appointment is the primary strategy right now.

Gary Young

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 01:34:22 PM »
If (and that's a huge if) the President nominates a reasonable person, they should be considered. I doubt either Clinton or Trump would give us a better choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 02:09:17 PM »
If (and that's a huge if) the President nominates a reasonable person, they should be considered. I doubt either Clinton or Trump would give us a better choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone appointed by Trump will no doubt be better than anyone Obama or Hillary would appoint.  And there is a chance that Cruz will get the nomination instead of Trump.

Obama WILL NOT appoint a loyal American to the Supreme Court.  The Senate leadership should keep any appointment he makes from being voted on because even though Republicans control the Senate, there are several among them who have proven that grovelling before the America-hating liars of liberal media overrides their sworn duty to defend the Constitution.

The Constitution is too important to just give up on it.  An Obama (or Hillary) appointment will render the Constitution not only worthless but worse than worthless, because the same majority of activist liberals that fails to see what is clearly written in the document will find things written in it that aren't really there.  This has been done before and will be done again, if those who have no respect for the written law have the power to corrupt it.  The damage already done to the Republic could increase exponentially.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 02:27:13 PM »
It looks like the traitor Obama is making his move in trying to place a fellow traitor on the Supreme Court.  So now is a time for patriots to contact Senators Deb Fischer and Ben Sasse and remind them that we expect them to do what they swore a sacred oath to do in defending the Constitution by keeping Obama from further corrupting it.  There must be no confirmation hearings before the election, because all Democrats and some Republicans have no honor and no loyalty to their country, and will vote to confirm.  The Republicans must not cave on this.

It looks very unlikely that the Judiciary committee will take any action on this until after the election, and our senators do not sit on the committee.  But it doesn't hurt to remind them anyway.  There are some hard core America-hating liberal bigots on the committee and there are a few RINOs too.  So it can't hurt for our senators to be reminded that their constituents do not want any action taken.

http://aclj.org/supreme-court/let-the-people-have-a-voice-no-action-on-president-obamas-supreme-court-nominee-until-after-the-election?sf45143242=1

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 05:43:36 PM »
Let's do what Liberal Democrats would do in this situation.

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 07:50:49 AM »
All videos you will neither see nor hear about on mass media.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 10:12:57 AM »
This morning CBS showed an image capture from the 1992 Biden statement but not his statement.  Then the played a video of Orin Hatch saying that the nominee was a "fine person" whom he would vote to confirm (to the appellate bench).   

With both Biden and Obama videos showing them adopting and promoting the position the Republicans (not the RINOS) are now taking the slant and hypocrisy of the Democrats and the media are plainly visible for all to see v