< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: My Experience with the Kimber Ultra Carry II  (Read 697 times)

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
My Experience with the Kimber Ultra Carry II
« on: March 18, 2016, 11:02:41 AM »
My wife and I purchased this gun for Conceal carry last week.  Cabelas had a great deal at $650, which I later learned the price was wrong later when I went back.  Its the two-tone model, not my favorite look but the price was right.

I was a little weary of some postings on this gun and was considering the DW ECO at nearly 2X the price.

However, I am happy to report in my situation I had no issues.

Put about 50 rounds of reloads through it first (5g bullseye barrys 230g RN), not a single hiccup.
Then tried some factory Remington hollow points, no hiccups either.  The factory ammo had more kick than my 5g bullseye loads for sure.

Then I tried some carry ammo, hornady critical defense +P.  More kick yet, but only had one delayed fail to feed.  The slide got stuck but before I gave it a whack it slipped into place.

The gun shoots well, no issues with kick.  I didn't do as good with the +p ammo so I am going to reconsider using that.  It really adds more recoil, nothing to break the wrist but the barrel climbs pretty good.

My wife shot it well too and had no issues with the recoil.

So I wanted to give a positive review for this gun and to let people know not everyone has issues.  I was worried about it but am very glad with my purchase.

Cabelas has these on sale for $750 now.  Not as good of deal as I got but still not much more than a Glock.

The stock wood grips are a bit thick going to find some thin ones.  I could sand these down but want to keep them original in case I have to sell my guns again for some other stupid reason.

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
Re: My Experience with the Kimber Ultra Carry II
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 10:55:18 AM »
I bought a Kimber 1911 about 12 years ago. Very accurate. Until I shot a Kimber I didn't know I could shoot that well with a handgun. Problem was, it had the external extractor. Accurate but unreliable. I called it my "Jam-O-Matic". I considered selling or trading it but finally called Kimber Customer Service last year. They were unhappy that I'd waited so long to call and I'd put up with it for that long. I sent it in and since I've gotten it back I can't make it jam. I've limp wristed it and held it sideways. It keeps working great  :D. Now I kick myself for waiting so long to get it fixed.

Kimber gets some bad reviews but their customer service came through and I've got a great shooting 1911 now.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 03:25:51 PM »
Waltherfan

is

now

KIMBERFAN?

Just Askin'............

I wuntz had a Kimber Model 84 in .223Rem that was so byooful that I couldn't bear to take it afield and shoot it.

Had to sell it because a Safe Queen gets no space and has no place in my meager collection.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Tj

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 08:41:52 PM »
I also have an ultra carry 2. Never fed any hollow point reliably, I tried many. It always had reliability issues.  I'm going to send it back to manufacturer eventually. mine needs some work. Glad you got a good one.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 11:11:01 AM »
Tj very strange.  Its a common situation.
I have no idea why mine works, maybe 2nd time out will change.
Ill report back.