< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Shooting on your own acreage  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
Shooting on your own acreage
« on: April 12, 2016, 01:51:35 PM »
Just bought 33 acres in Cass County.  Can anyone point me to a resource/reference with guidelines for shooting on my own property?

Thanks in advance!
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Shooting on your own acreage
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 02:30:12 PM »
In general, you can't:

>Endanger neighbors.   (Projectiles can't leave your property boundaries.)

>Endanger visitors.   

>Cause a noise problem or nuisance for neighbors or public.

>Violate federal/state/local environmental laws. 

Rather than depend upon us legal cowboys here on the Forum, you might want to consider actually contacting a knowledgeable attorney in Cass County (not Omaha) to get the proper legal counsel on this issue.   Probably would take about one visit.

If you want help setting up your range, please holler.

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 02:34:43 PM »
Thank you for the advice, I think a visit would be well worth the peace of mind.  Much appreciated :)
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 02:38:49 PM »
I don't know what the NRA range program might be able to do for you or what their service might cost but it might be worth looking into:
http://range.nra.org/
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 06:09:51 PM »
I don't know what the NRA range program might be able to do for you or what their service might cost but it might be worth looking into:

The NRA Range Operations charge is $350 for a non-NRA-affiliated range 1-day visit by an NRA Range Technical Team Advisor (RTTA).   This service is primarily for functioning public and private shooting clubs. 

I happen to currently be an NRA RTTA and frequently serve to carry out range visits after a formal request is cleared through NRA Range Operations Headquarters.

RTTAs may also carry out range visits as individuals on their own volition without clearing them through NRA Hqs.  Such cases are then not NRA-official and no final report is cleared through NRA Range Operations.  And no indication may be made of any connection with NRA.

In this present case, any services would be direct and pro-bono, to help out a fellow Forum member.  And there would be absolutely no linkage whatsoever with that Great Big Shooting Sports Organization back east. 

sfg   
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 09:17:20 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 09:55:17 AM »
Are you in the city limits?  Have you met your new neighbors? 

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 04:01:48 PM »
You will need to check with the Cass County Planning Commission for Zoning regulations. You might need to get a Conditional Use Permit to do this if you have any non-family members shooting there.  In the past there was a thread on here where someone in Cass County got in trouble over this, but I can't remember exactly when (2 years ago?).

Excerpt from the Planning Guide:

CASS COUNTY ZONING REGULATIONS REPRINT JANUARY 2015
8. Commercial recreational and camping areas including fishing, hunting, gun clubs,
rifle range, trap shoot, and similar uses

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 11:31:39 AM »
Thank you for the advice, I think a visit would be well worth the peace of mind.  Much appreciated :)

Please keep us informed with what you find out, I'm quite interested.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline TheSharkMan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 09:33:51 PM »
Well, this is certainly an eye opener!  :o

Any idea if this might apply to counties other than Cass? We're in Kearney County.
NRA Life Member
Gun Owners of America Member
NFOA Full Member
Proud father of a Marine Corps Veteran

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 10:31:50 PM »
I live just outside of Plattsmouth city limits in Cass County NE and have had no problems with the local Sheriff's Department. My neighbors shoot weekly on two different sides of my rural property as well as myself. One neighbor even had a CCW class with range qualifications on his property. My neighbor to the north once had the Sheriff called out when he was shooting. The only question from the Deputy was that he was shooting in a safe direction and to carry on.

People do not make this into something that it is not.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 08:49:37 AM »
People, do not make this into something that it is not.

^This

If you are outside of the city limits, talk to your neighbors and be safe.  I have 160 acres.  I don't even bother talking to my neighbors, but I do let my renters know.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 02:28:36 PM »

Any idea if this might apply to counties other than Cass? We're in Kearney County.
That appears to apply only to commercial operations.   Having a private range on your own property would not apply.  Nor does allowing the occasional friends come by an use your private range.    The guy that got in trouble last year was attempting to create a commercial range.

I agree with the others: don't make it into something it isn't.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 05:02:19 PM »
Sounds like the best course of action is to check with the Sheriff and have at it.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 07:35:54 PM »

I'm in Buffalo just across the KY CO line.  All the neighbors here shoot on our own property.  But we all have 160 acres or more.  Drop me a PM, maybe we can get together.  My neighbor and I are SLOWLY working an a 600 plus yard range.
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper