< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: DIY Range  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Captdad17

• Former cop, prior military, protective dad. Don't touch my tools or my daughter and we'll get along just fine.
  • NFOA Full Member
DIY Range
« on: April 17, 2016, 08:45:29 AM »
I live on 40 acres outside of Lincoln and while it's normally a lot of hard work to maintain, I decided to make it a little more enjoyable.  So, with a some careful planning and some ingenuity, I built a homemade shooting range.  I was wondering if anyone else out there built a place to shoot on their land and if so, any ideas for targets, drills, equipment or anything to make it a little more interesting?  I posted a picture of the final build to give you any idea how it turned out.
When faced with a crisis, ask yourself three questions: Is anyone dead?  Is anyone hurt?  Are there hostages?  If the answer to all three is "No", then calm down, it's not a crisis.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: DIY Range
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 10:00:56 AM »
Nice work on your excellent home-built range.   Neat, cool setup.

Some good drills are the IDPA and USPSA Classifiers.   Also the El Presidente (part of it similar to IDPA) and FBI Qualifier (need a dry day; some dirt-rollling).   All can be found with a bit of Googling/videos.

It might also be worthwhile to check out the many, many videos of hickok45 on Google/videos.   He has a very interesting informal range setup.   And can that Guy shoot a handgun!!!

Would suggest being careful whom you invite.  Some folks' basic character shows up while at a shooting range.   Not all of it is good to behold.   Make it clear that it's not an open invitation to come any time, bring friends.   And beer.   Also, find some way to prevent uninvited drop-ins.

Wonder if I can get away with a similar setup right here near 120th and Center in Omaha...............  Maybe invite the neighbors on Sunday mornings.

sfg
PS - Would be a good feature to have some kinda 8-10 foot (or higher) berm behind those evergreens
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 10:06:32 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Captdad17

• Former cop, prior military, protective dad. Don't touch my tools or my daughter and we'll get along just fine.
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 10:22:11 AM »
Thanks for the drills, I'll check them out.  I've seen a few videos from hickok45, good stuff.

My place is in the middle of nowhere and the only way to get to the range site is to drive right by the house, otherwise, it's surrounded by no-go terrain, keeps the undesirables out.  Site selection was very meticulous.  I wish I could build up a berm behind the railroad ties, but it's a 20 ft sheer drop off starting about 2 feet behind them.  Good news is, the tree line goes back about 1/4 mile and there's nothing in the field of fire for 1.25 miles at about a 45 degree angle from the firing line.  I'm usually the only one that uses it, it's my "happy place".  Also use it to teach my kids how to handle a firearms.  I'm pretty anal when it comes to only shooting that which you intend to destroy, so the rounds stay in-bounds.

Thanks for the info.

When faced with a crisis, ask yourself three questions: Is anyone dead?  Is anyone hurt?  Are there hostages?  If the answer to all three is "No", then calm down, it's not a crisis.

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 09:19:48 PM »
That is an extremely nice setup you have there. 
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper