General Categories > Survival/Emergency Preparedness

GHB or Get home Bag

<< < (3/6) > >>

son of liberty:
for us truck guys a tool box is ideal. blankets, flashlight, jumper cables, starter box, many many tools, road flares, floor jack, the list goes on and on. and it all fits in the box

Randy:
Review here on the Maxpedition New Sabercat Versipack
http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=17678.0

RobertH:
when you guys look for GHB or BOB bags, what are you exactly looking for?  for instance, is it the amount of room (ie cubic inches) or is it what you're going to be putting in the bag (ie supplies, etc)?

rugermanx:
To me, I look for a lot of things, organization of contents, ease of access to supplies that could be needed in multiple situations, size depends partially on what your planning the bag for, Is it for winter and you think you need coveralls, hats, and heavy gloves. Also how well does it carry, you are not gonna want to hoof a 1 ton duffel around if you are a few miles from home/safe area. I personally prefer a major first aid kit in the car, being an emt I assume that I could come across an accident anytime. So I look for a bag with an externally accessible compartment and either add loops and some dividers or find a bag with them. Personally I have a rather large backpack (picked it up at walmart shortly after the school year started) that has a front compartment large enough for bandages, gauze, BP cuff, stethoscope, scissors pocket mask for CPR etc. Inside it can fit clothes, a tightly wound rope with carabiners, and a basic survival kit. (compass, flashlight, small gauge cable, knife etc.) also has an external water bottle holder on each side and a pocket that works GREAT for a glass breaker with a seat belt cutter. Its a North Face brand and I picked it up in the clearance section for (IMSC) 20 bucks.

This is not all that is jammed into the bag but it kind of gives you an idea of some of the more critical stuff that goes into it. I change it out with the season swapping the heavier clothing for lighter for summer. Doesn't fit behind the seat of the truck so gonna have to devise a way to get it off the seat :( but so far it works.

Dan W:
I finally pulled the trigger on a bag tonight. I got tired of using my shotgun/range bag for everything I was doing.

After I went Pdog hunting, I realized I wanted a bag that better accommodated my AR15, Magazines, Glock 30, camera and the standard shooting gear like hearing protection and shooting glasses, and still had room for binoculars, snacks, water, etc. and was slung more like a pack.

This same bag can be re-purposed as a get home bag. It can also be a great bag for hiking in the mountains, as I plan to do more now that CCW is legal in my favorite Rocky Mountain National Park. The only drawback is the visible AR magazines in the pouch, so the AR mags will be removed for this job. I wanted easily accessible magazines so they needed to be on the front and have fast access, so they rest if the time the sheep will just have to deal with it

This bag is the Maxpedition L.E.O jumbo versipack.

And you can save all the manpurse comments, as I already use a Safepacker every day

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version