< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nebraska State CCW Course…  (Read 4292 times)

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Nebraska State CCW Course…
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 10:53:34 AM »
That brings to mind a question...
Has anyone every had someone go shooting for the first time and NOT like it?  My wife spent years in fear of my guns, wouldn't even be in the same room with a disassembled gun, and after she went shooting the first time I couldn't get her to calm down. She just kept going on about how much fun she had!  Kept putting the paper plate in front of me and showing how well she shot.

Has anyone had someone that came away from their first time and said, "Never again."?

I haven't gotten my wife out shooting with me, but she says her father took her shooting.  She's absolutely terrified about guns, and will not touch a gun (but doesn't complain too much about me with the ones I inherited when my dad passed and the 2 I've purchased).

I have a feeling her dad gave her something that was way too big for her, and didn't warn her about the kick (yes, he can be a bit of an ass).

Offline tnorris0143

• NFOA Full Member
  • I Couldn't Think of a Good Name :)
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 11:25:23 AM »
Last time I went home to visit family, I took a couple various weapons. I had my younger sister shoot (who was totally anti-firearms). I talked to her calmly, had her dry fire, then put in 1 round. She was like .. WOW ..

Now my step-dad on the other hand .. yes .. he did not like it at all. I did not make fun of him or degrade him or anything .. firearms are not for everyone.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 02:25:29 PM »
Disregard I looked it up.  They submit records to the NSP.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 02:47:20 PM by skydve76 »

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 07:55:32 PM »
I have a feeling her dad gave her something that was way too big for her, and didn't warn her about the kick (yes, he can be a bit of an ass).

Somewhat the reason my wife was so scared of firearms. Apparently her grandparents used to own a skeet/trap range here in Omaha and her mother, who was working the line there at the time, was nearly shot by a careless idiot who forgot his shotgun was still loaded.
Take your time and work with her gently and she will come around. 5 years after I got my first gun she got her CCW.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2016, 10:08:39 AM »
Somewhat the reason my wife was so scared of firearms. Apparently her grandparents used to own a skeet/trap range here in Omaha and her mother, who was working the line there at the time, was nearly shot by a careless idiot who forgot his shotgun was still loaded.
Take your time and work with her gently and she will come around. 5 years after I got my first gun she got her CCW.

Ehh, I've been trying.  Recently, her sister's boyfriend was selling his Glock 17, so we went over to look at it (I ended up purchasing it from him).  She was asking questions (don't know where she learned that a Glock doesn't have an external safety, but she was asking if it was ok "that it doesn't have a safety on it").  I had no magazine in, tried to get her to hold the gun, and she wouldn't even do that.  She gets really freaked out by guns in general.

Now, on a positive note, she is not complaining that I will be taking a class so I can obtain my CCW (the reason I was looking at the Glock 17 in the first place), so she is really slowly coming around.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2016, 08:41:21 PM »
Quote (selected)

The problem comes from "I think" since that always seems to lead to "there should be a law".

I'm curious where, in my post, you found something like that.  (I note that personally, I'm all in favor of thinking.  :) )

That would be:
<climbs on soapbox>
I don't think everyone should be carrying a concealed weapon.

Except for the word "don't", I saw "I ... think".  I am still bothered by how our right to self-defense has been turned into a privilege by Nebraska Legislation. Somehow, a few people have again determined that they may potentially solve an issue by creation of law. We know law-abiding citizens are not a problem and are the only ones that will follow worthless laws. Making people file forms, produce documents, take classes, pay fines, file fingerprints with the State Patrol...is not a right.

Instead, we mull over semantics of what and how constitutes self-defense and who is what sort of animal in predator vs. prey and ignore that in a State with a Constitution that guarantees the right to use firearms also strips that right with conceal carry laws. And that those laws only strip right from those compelled to follow those laws. As I recall, those persons that choose to ignore basic right and law are the reason the rest of us realize the need for self-defense.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 06:40:15 AM »

Instead, we mull over semantics of what and how constitutes self-defense and who is what sort of animal in predator vs. prey and ignore that in a State with a Constitution that guarantees the right to use firearms also strips that right with conceal carry laws. And that those laws only strip right from those compelled to follow those laws. As I recall, those persons that choose to ignore basic right and law are the reason the rest of us realize the need for self-defense.

There's room for all manner of discussion on this forum.   And I believe we have covered the state of Nebraska's shortcomings on SD law in other areas of this forum plenty of other times.  The topic is not ignored. 

And I don't think EVERYONE should get to own a firearm and I don't think EVERYONE should get to carry a concealed weapon.  There are immature and otherwise unstable folks out there who simply shouldn't be allowed near weapons of any kind.  (Knives, golf clubs, baseball bats, cars, etc.)

But how to accomplish that goal without hampering the good guys?  Aye, there's the rub.  Government, in typical government fashion, goes the heavy handed route and declares all of us incompetent until we prove otherwise by standards the government establishes.  How best to do it?  That debate will go on long after all of us are long gone. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 06:46:04 AM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2016, 07:03:26 AM »
Quote from: jthhapkido
      Quote (selected):  The problem comes from "I think" since that always seems to lead to "there should be a law".

I'm curious where, in my post, you found something like that.  (I note that personally, I'm all in favor of thinking.  :) )

Quote from: SS_N_NE
That would be:
Quote from: Captdad17 on May 02, 2016, 05:45:26 AM

<climbs on soapbox>
    I don't think everyone should be carrying a concealed weapon.

You'll note that those two quotes were from two different people....which was my point.  You quoted me, and said, in response to MY saying "I think," that thinking "always seems to lead to there should be a law."

And in my case, where I said "I think" directly, which you quoted, it didn't.  Matter of fact, my "I think" directly went into "there shouldn't be a law."

Except for the word "don't", I saw "I ... think".

....except I didn't say anything about how there should be a law.  Quite the opposite.

Hence my comment about how I believe that thinking is a good thing, and that thinking (and stating one's thoughts) doesn't automatically mean limiting other people's thoughts and rights.  It is certainly true that some people's train of thought goes: 

I don't like this --> other people shouldn't do it --> it should be wrong for other people to do it --> we should make a law so other people can't do this.

But many other people who think and state their thoughts, disagree with the above.  If we don't think about things, and we don't discuss them, then the people who DO think it should be up to them to limit other people will continue, and no one will stop them.

I am still bothered by how our right to self-defense has been turned into a privilege by Nebraska Legislation. Somehow, a few people have again determined that they may potentially solve an issue by creation of law. We know law-abiding citizens are not a problem and are the only ones that will follow worthless laws. Making people file forms, produce documents, take classes, pay fines, file fingerprints with the State Patrol...is not a right.

I agree.

Instead, we mull over semantics of what and how constitutes self-defense and who is what sort of animal in predator vs. prey and ignore that in a State with a Constitution that guarantees the right to use firearms also strips that right with conceal carry laws.

Actually, I think we can do all of those things at the same time---because effective self-defense means understanding violence, criminals, and the law, too.  It is possible to have discussions of many things regarding rights and self-defense, and just because we have one doesn't mean we have forgotten about the other.

Even a cursory search of the NFOA forums will shows that discussions of our rights occur frequently, in the midst of all the other topics.

And that those laws only strip right from those compelled to follow those laws. As I recall, those persons that choose to ignore basic right and law are the reason the rest of us realize the need for self-defense.

Agreed.

I still believe thinking is a good thing.  And discussing what we think, and what it means, is a good thing.  In my opinion, if we DON'T, then the people who substitute what they believe for thinking ("I believe this, therefore you shouldn't be able to do this") will take over.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2016, 07:41:32 PM »
And I don't think EVERYONE should get to own a firearm and I don't think EVERYONE should get to carry a concealed weapon.  There are immature and otherwise unstable folks out there who simply shouldn't be allowed near weapons of any kind.  (Knives, golf clubs, baseball bats, cars, etc.)
A perfect example is the teenager who is awaiting trial for using his pickup to run a car full of other teenagers off Blondo Street following a typical teenage BS argument.

If I can't trust someone with a gun, I don't feel I can trust him without one, either.