< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: a emergency radio channel  (Read 4941 times)

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
a emergency radio channel
« on: May 08, 2016, 07:39:54 PM »
 I bought a couple of Baofeng hand held short wave radios so far , At the breakfast someone else had one similar.  how about setting up a frequency for members in case there is ever trouble? would let member know whats going on, even if its only a snowstorm of power outage,

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
Re: a emergency radio channel
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 11:25:09 PM »
The people who are licensed to use those things rely on the Weather radios and the news for emergency info.
WØCHF

Offline tnorris0143

• NFOA Full Member
  • I Couldn't Think of a Good Name :)

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 11:15:01 AM »
I bought a couple of Baofeng hand held short wave radios so far , At the breakfast someone else had one similar. how about setting up a frequency for members in case there is ever trouble? would let member know whats going on, even if its only a snowstorm of power outage,

Great question shooter!  EMCOMM (emergency communications) is super important during a natural or manmade disaster.  I'll try to answer the question from the perspective of a new Ham radio operator.  Last fall (after trying for years) a buddy finally succeeded in talking me into studying for and taking the FCC tests to get licensed to use the ham bands.  I passed the Tech and General tests in Sept and the Extra test in Nov.  Here's a primer on VHF and UHF. So read the link if you want to get geeky details of MHz and bands and to really understand what gear you need to communicate, but suffice to say HTs (handitalkies), like the Baofengs, operate on two bands:

-2M (VHF)
-70cm (UHF)

Both VHF and UHF are line of sight comms.  So for creating an NFOA emergency frequency, we'd all have to be line of sight to communicate with HTs (simplex mode).  We can get around this line of sight requirement by using repeaters.  These are essentially radios that are placed on towers, ridges, buildings, etc. that receive on one frequency and transmit on a slightly offset frequency.  Since the repeater is in an elevated position, it's within the line of sight of most of its area and you can "bounce" your signal off it to others within the reception area of the repeater.  The Aksarben Amateur Radio Club has a list of local repeaters, as does the Southwest Iowa Amateur Radio Club that show input frequencies, offets, and PL tones. Other areas Lincoln/GI/etc all have local clubs and repeaters, too.  One local repeater I've started paying attention to during inclement weather is the K0USA repeater (146.940) where Douglas County ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service) starts a SKYWARN net with storm spotters and other members calling in reports of heavy rain, hail, cloud rotation, and tornadoes.  It allows you to get real time weather reports before the NOAA stations or TV/radio stations report on them.

So while you can buy a Baofeng HT on Amazon for less than $35 delivered and make the argument that the fedgov has no Constitutional authority to regulate the airwaves (which I wouldn't disagree with), no other Hams will talk to you and you won't be able to practice using the radio without a callsign, that you get after passing the FCC test.  While you may think that all Hams would be preparedness and self-sufficiency minded, limited-government sorts, you'd be wrong.  A bunch of them worship at the alter of the Church of the State and actually DF (direction finding) radio signals of unlicensed individuals to turn into the FCC.  And they actually feel they're keeping the country safer by doing so.  Quislings.  So, without a callsign, you're not going to get much practice for Z-Day.  And buying a radio, putting it on the shelf, and saying you'll be able to pull it out and communicate when the disaster strikes is no different than the person who buys a handgun with a box of ammo and puts them on the closet shelf having never loaded it, fired it, taken a class, or practiced, but is convinced that when someone breaks in, they'll be prepared to use it to defend their family.  If you want to play with radios, then go get a license.  And please don't whine to me about being in the FCC database with a license.  If you're reading this, you're already on multiple .gov lists.

How to get licensed?  It's really not all that hard.  The first test is 35 multiple guess questions all taken from a question pool that's public.  That's right, every question and the four answer choices are public and available online. 

So do this:
Step 1: Download KB6NU's FREE No-Nonsense Technician Study Guide and read through it a time or two.
Step 2: Install a free Ham Test Prep app on your phone to practice answering the questions. 
Step 3: Search by zip code and distance for an upcoming testing site near you.
Step 4: Show up for the test, pay your $15 and get licensed.

Easy peasy, right?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 11:17:51 AM by Wesley D »
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 12:38:10 PM »
Thanks for the info, Wesley!
That is probably the most basic info I have ever seen on how to get a license and call sign.  Makes me believe I can do it. Guess I'm going to look it up and move forward.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 04:37:58 PM »
Definitely good info Wesley... I also have a couple of radios that I purchased & have not done much with.  I want to take the class & get some better radios...maybe a base station to go with the portables. 
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 05:07:14 PM »
Dang. This thread sat idle for a couple months and just got really interesting.

I didn't realize it could be that easy or cheap.

I have to say I sympathize with the people who believe society creates rules for a reason and people don't get to unilaterally decide if they're above the rules. I remember CB radios were great back when I was a kid until all the Mexicans down south started filling the air with skip.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:52:24 PM by feralcatkillr »
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 06:35:30 PM »
Another thing to consider is that any radio you buy will likely not have the frequencies you need programmed into it. Even if it does you won't know it because it will just be a number i.e. 145.2900 on the Vhf (2 meter band) and 448.030 on the Uhf (70 cm band).

Programming is fairly easy for the Beofengs using the computer program Chirp and a programming cable. There are several on-line sources for repeater channels all over the united states. Simplex (radio to radio) is based on line of sight antenna to antenna. The higher the antennas are the farther the line of sight. Two HT's (Handheld) at six feet antenna height (Radio to mouth standing) might have a 3-5 mile range. A HT to a repeater that is several hundred feet in the air may have a 20-25 mile range.

There are "Linked" systems in each state that allow i.e. a ham operator with a HT in Omaha to talk to another operator with a HT in Scotts Bluff through a series of connected repeaters.

IRLP is a method where someone in another state can use his repeater to "tap" into a repeater in your area and communicate with you on your repeater. This done using the internet as a go between.

The bottom line is that you can't buy a couple of UV5"s for 20 bucks and expect to be able to use them in time of emergency. I would suggest the UV-82HP for about 60 bucks anyway. They are definitely worth the price difference.

There is no longer a Morse Code (CW) requirement for any of the three (Technician, General, and Amateur Extra licenses.

Yes I am a Ham.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 09:30:13 PM »
The Baofeng uv-82hp is indeed a pain to program without the additional programing cable.  Youtube is your friend. 
 ;D 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 10:28:59 PM by Les »

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 07:36:48 AM »
The zello app worked like a champ for us down in South Texas last month.
Every one already has a cell phone. No new (to you) technology to learn.
Nation wide network already in place.
Additional features not available on wireless 2 way. (Ability to block obnoxious users from channel.)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 08:27:11 AM »
The zello app worked like a champ for us down in South Texas last month.
Every one already has a cell phone. No new (to you) technology to learn.
Nation wide network already in place.
Additional features not available on wireless 2 way. (Ability to block obnoxious users from channel.)

the idea for this thread. was to use this during a emergency. I was thinking more like power out and no land line or cell service.
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 08:31:12 AM »
Well I can tell you power was out EVERYWHERE and it worked.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 11:57:22 PM »
In a previous post I mentioned line of sight distances for direct communication. I mentioned that radio to radio may only be a few miles and a handheld radio to a repeater may be in the tens of miles. The link I'm providing is a rudimentary calculator that will give you a general guide to what you can expect transmitting either simplex (radio to radio) or radio to repeater. Just put in the height of your antenna and the height of the receiving antenna whether it is another handheld or repeater and click the distance button.

http://www.qsl.net/kd4sai/distance.html
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline Wrmedic

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 09:01:16 PM »
We have had very good luck with Icom radios on fire department. A mobile (vehicle) mounted will greatly increase the range due to a handheld being 3-5 watts and a mobile around 25 watts.

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 10:43:59 PM »
If anyone is considering getting serious into the HAM stuff, I have an old HyGain military tower and mast that I would be willing to part with.  Its heavy-duty thick aluminum and as I recall with the mast put it at around 70'....I'd have to measure to be sure.   Also have the rotor and controller that worked when everything was taken down so many years ago.  I have since lost interest in high freq radio.    (maybe this belongs in a for sale area...admin?)
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 09:30:46 PM »
If anyone is considering getting serious into the HAM stuff, I have an old HyGain military tower and mast that I would be willing to part with.  Its heavy-duty thick aluminum and as I recall with the mast put it at around 70'....I'd have to measure to be sure.   Also have the rotor and controller that worked when everything was taken down so many years ago.  I have since lost interest in high freq radio.    (maybe this belongs in a for sale area...admin?)
It would certainly get more traction there. ;)
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan