General Categories > Survival/Emergency Preparedness

a emergency radio channel

<< < (2/4) > >>

jFader:
Definitely good info Wesley... I also have a couple of radios that I purchased & have not done much with.  I want to take the class & get some better radios...maybe a base station to go with the portables. 

ILoveCats:
Dang. This thread sat idle for a couple months and just got really interesting.

I didn't realize it could be that easy or cheap.

I have to say I sympathize with the people who believe society creates rules for a reason and people don't get to unilaterally decide if they're above the rules. I remember CB radios were great back when I was a kid until all the Mexicans down south started filling the air with skip.

Gunscribe:
Another thing to consider is that any radio you buy will likely not have the frequencies you need programmed into it. Even if it does you won't know it because it will just be a number i.e. 145.2900 on the Vhf (2 meter band) and 448.030 on the Uhf (70 cm band).

Programming is fairly easy for the Beofengs using the computer program Chirp and a programming cable. There are several on-line sources for repeater channels all over the united states. Simplex (radio to radio) is based on line of sight antenna to antenna. The higher the antennas are the farther the line of sight. Two HT's (Handheld) at six feet antenna height (Radio to mouth standing) might have a 3-5 mile range. A HT to a repeater that is several hundred feet in the air may have a 20-25 mile range.

There are "Linked" systems in each state that allow i.e. a ham operator with a HT in Omaha to talk to another operator with a HT in Scotts Bluff through a series of connected repeaters.

IRLP is a method where someone in another state can use his repeater to "tap" into a repeater in your area and communicate with you on your repeater. This done using the internet as a go between.

The bottom line is that you can't buy a couple of UV5"s for 20 bucks and expect to be able to use them in time of emergency. I would suggest the UV-82HP for about 60 bucks anyway. They are definitely worth the price difference.

There is no longer a Morse Code (CW) requirement for any of the three (Technician, General, and Amateur Extra licenses.

Yes I am a Ham.

Les:
The Baofeng uv-82hp is indeed a pain to program without the additional programing cable.  Youtube is your friend. 
 ;D 

justsomeguy:
The zello app worked like a champ for us down in South Texas last month.
Every one already has a cell phone. No new (to you) technology to learn.
Nation wide network already in place.
Additional features not available on wireless 2 way. (Ability to block obnoxious users from channel.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version