< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Commentary on Retention Holsters...  (Read 1390 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Commentary on Retention Holsters...
« on: May 24, 2016, 10:35:46 AM »
Awhile back, I got into a discussion about retention holsters for open carry.  In between hearing/reading shouts of “I can carry like I want!” and “He thinks that if you don’t use a level 9000 retention holster it doesn’t count!” I realized that not only do many people not understand what the term “retention holster” means, they also don’t understand that 1) there are differences in quality between various holster types, and 2) there are differences in choices for optimal use between different retention holsters.

So as normal, I wrote about it.  (And put together a little video explanation.)

https://precisionresponse.wordpress.com/2016/05/22/retention-holsters/

I didn't go into the definitions of "Level II" and "Level III" holster or anything, because unfortunately definitions differ depending on who (or what organization) you are talking to.  However, I wanted to at least make clear the difference between passive retention and active retention, and talk about the the difference in type of active retention with regard to holsters that are made to secure the gun against being dislodged from the holster versus holsters that are made to secure the gun against gun grabs and take-away attempts.

I'll write another article later on my opinion about why you should use a retention holster for open carry.  (Like it says in the article, "Truthfully, I think that should be self-evident, but apparently it isn’t.")    :)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Commentary on Retention Holsters...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 01:46:44 PM »
My 1970s-era Ruger Blackhawk flap holster with the rotating metal clasp is a "Level VII" retention holster.

What was wrong with good old fashioned thumb break leather holsters?  If I carried as part of my job, I don't know that I'd be a big fan of plastic buttons and other plastic doohickeys on a holster.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 02:25:59 PM »
My 1970s-era Ruger Blackhawk flap holster with the rotating metal clasp is a "Level VII" retention holster.

:)

What was wrong with good old fashioned thumb break leather holsters?  If I carried as part of my job, I don't know that I'd be a big fan of plastic buttons and other plastic doohickeys on a holster.

Actually, thumb breaks and leather holsters are just less reliable.  I'm sure you've seen thumb breaks that are so worn that the leather has stretched, the snap needs JUST the right push in JUST the right direction to release, and if you don't hit it right, it just twists and nothing happens.  Or ones where the snap itself migrates over time due to the holster being wet, then dry, then wet, etc.

Plenty of people still use thumb-break leather holsters.  BUT....there is a reason why so many LEOs enthusiastically dumped those for an ALS holster.  (And the ALS/SLS combo makes the gun extremely secure from takeaways, but still makes for a fast, simple draw.  I watched Bill Rogers wander up from working on rifle stuff and with no warmup run an advanced score on the Roger Shooting School qualification test with an ALS/SLS combo holster like I demoed in the video.)

I'll note also that there is a significant difference between injected-molded plastic (like a SERPA holster) and a Kydex laminate (like an ALS).  One of those is incredibly durable.  The other....isn't.

Like I said, there is a significant track record of reliability for the Safariland holsters---both in the holster itself, AND in the locking mechanism.

I'm betting that if you tried an ALS, and compared it to a leather thumbbreak, and with equal amounts of time for practice, put them both on a timer, you'd think about them a bit differently.  (If you are ever going to be out at ENGC on a match day, let me know and I'll bring an ALS.  Um.  Well, I can at least bring a left-handed ALS.  I don't have any right-handed ones.)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 10:49:57 AM »
If I may I would like to add that just with injection molded holsters and Kydex holsters there are differences in quality and brand, the same can be said for leather holsters quality between makers and the ways we do thumb breaks. 
Just talking to the quality of holsters, not about what is more reliable between retention systems.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:16:21 AM by sparky »
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 10:25:06 PM »
As some people know on the forum I make kydex holsters. I agree with what JT has to say on this subject the safari land is by far the best option I have seen.  I can actually put the sls good on my holsters if I choose to but it's not really cost effective for me and I still feel that they make a better duty style holster.  When you throw the other level that the offer into the mix it beats what I can offer

Nice post as usual. 

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 12:06:59 PM »
Like the article and as usual very informative.