< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Shotgun advice  (Read 1497 times)

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
Shotgun advice
« on: June 14, 2016, 08:00:25 PM »
I am interested in shooting trap among other clay sports, what would be a good entry to mid level shot gun for the clay sports?
KD0LKT

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Shotgun advice
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 07:54:57 AM »
My recommendation would be a used Browning Citori over/under in 12 gauge, preferably with interchangeable chokes. 

But if the budget is tight, you'll get a lower price on a used shotgun w/fixed chokes.   You'd probably want Full/Modified chokes if you choose a fixed choke shotgun in order to get the lower price.  As it happens, some shooters are always changing out their chokes.  Others leave in the Full/Modified until they are stuck in the barrel and can't be changed.  So they might as well have a fixed choke shotgun.

I say Browning Citori because you may want to sell/trade someday; Browning Citoris are popular; there's an active market for them when you want to sell/trade/upgrade.   Of course, other shotguns are also used; it's just that more folks use Browning Citoris for shotgun sport shooting than any other shotgun.   I say used because you can save more bucks that way.  May find a shotgun already set up for trap, skeet, sporting clays, whatever.   Save on the buck$.  May get some gunsmith modifications already completed, extra chokes, gun cases, accessories, whatever.

An adjustable comb and adjustable butt plate are very desirable, as well as some kind of recoil-absorbing system
, such as Gracoil or SPS (Stock Positioning System).   As time goes by, you may want to go out an shoot several boxes of heavier-load Handicap (greater than 16 yards) rounds.   That's a lotta shoulder pounding.

If you buy a single-barreled shotgun (Browning BT99) and then someday soon want to shoot doubles, you won't be able to do it.   So my recommendation is to go two barrels/over-under from the gitgo.

Some folks say that you should use a different shotgun each for trap/skeet/sporting clays.   Other shoot the same shotgun for everything, which is what I do.   And what's really fun is to see a guy with a $12,000 Perazzi, Kreighoff, Ljutic, or Merkel get outshot by a kid with a Remington 870 pump.   Which happens often.   Because..........the engraving does not make the shotgun shoot better.

If you are in the Omaha area, I'll be pleased to take you to the range and help get you started.   If you wish, you can start with my shotgun, which is a very basic Browning Citori Trap over/under in 12 gauge w/adjustable comb and SPS.
============
Additional Comment:
Wouldn't recommend a very low end shotgun (Stoeger, whatever).   Bought a couple and shot them.  Barrels wouldn't register (meaning:  both barrels wouldn't shoot in same place on pattern board).   Took them back to gun store, with great resistance from manager.   Showed him the pattern papers.  Still balked.  Finally got store credit.   You kinda get what you pay for, for the most part.
============

Beware, it's a highly addictive sport.

Pull!!!!

sfg   

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 12:47:13 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 03:55:14 PM »
Stoeger m3000 plus 8 tube and a LM choke

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 08:09:56 AM »
I'll agree with SFG on the Browning and add the best o/u Beretta you can afford.  Beretta also has an interchangeable choke system.  FWIW, I shoot trap with the same gun that I use to hunt upland game birds.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 09:53:28 AM »
FWIW, I shoot trap with the same gun that I use to hunt upland game birds.

Roger that.

Lotsa trap/skeet/sporting clays shooters do likewise.

Any gun and shooter combo that puts the lead on the clay bird will work spiffily.

Might want to first try that approach with your field gun and see (a) how well you do and (b) whether or not you have a lasting urge for the sport.

Before laying out a bundle.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 10:45:27 AM »
My son is shooting a Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic. All the bells and whistles and very smooth. Is high maintenance thou. Around $1100 new if you can find one.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 09:04:16 AM »
There is a relatively nice Stoeger Condor on the used rack at Scheels when I was there yesterday. I have a niece that shoots trap, I seriously thought about buying it for her.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 08:43:22 PM »
Thanks for all of the information and suggestions, today I picked up a used Citori, its a 1985 hunter model with interchangeable chokes.  I got it for a good price due to a "rusty" bore on the top barrel, after honing and good cleaning it looks good as new, the wood is beat a little but I'm fine with that.
KD0LKT

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 09:20:29 PM »
today I picked up a used Citori, its a 1985 hunter model with interchangeable chokes

ETA you probably will want to raise the comb a bit...it is much easier to break trap targets with a higher point of impact than most field models normally have, but that really depends on how the stock fits your face
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 10:01:23 AM »
Now.........Looks like you're off to Lincoln Trap and Skeet.

Everyone goes to the range and shoots their new trap/skeet shotgun at clays first.

Then later they go to the pattern board to see wot's wot.

Backwards, of course.

But that's what people do.

Can't help it.

sfg