< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: PRE-PANIC Powder and primer group buy  (Read 4134 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
PRE-PANIC Powder and primer group buy
« on: July 15, 2016, 06:36:43 PM »
Greetings all,

I'm going to start building up my stock of powder, primers, and bullets in a preemptive strategy to avoid the next possible panic on firearms related goods. I was caught behind the 8 ball 3 1/2 years ago, and I don't want to be in that position again. 

I have done this a few times in the past with some success...

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php?topic=13364.msg96180#msg96180

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php?topic=11071.msg78300#msg78300

Since the hazmat fee makes a small(ish) purchase too costly, I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in primers or powder from Grafs.

If you want to know what they have in stock, check their website at www.grafs.com.  I receive special pricing at Graf & Sons, so the price you pay should be considerably less than what their retail price is. This, of course, is dependent upon how many people we get to split the HazMat and shipping charges.

A few important points for those who are interested.

• PayPal account required!  I will be asking for your portion of the funds via a PayPal (no fee) transfer
  • 50 pounds of product can be shipped for one hazmat fee of $30
  • The hazmat fee ($30) and shipping ($tbd) will be divided between the buyers.  My plan is to divide the hazmat and shipping charge by the number of pounds shipped. Then estimate how much each person's individual order weighs.  Powder will be easy since it is sold per pound, but I will just have to use my math-fu for the primers.

I am planning on doing this soon, so if all commitments could be submitted by July 25, I will get the ball rolling. If we can get a good size order together before July 25, I will move up the ordering schedule.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: PRE-PANIC Powder and primer group buy
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 10:10:36 PM »
i don't reload but am thinking about it......

i am thinking CCI small pistol and CCI small rifle primers and powder for each.  for you know, just in case the election or political climate goes bad......

what powder for standard 9mm and 223 Remington?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 10:24:26 PM »
i don't reload but am thinking about it......

i am thinking CCI small pistol and CCI small rifle primers and powder for each.  for you know, just in case the election or political climate goes bad......

what powder for standard 9mm and 223 Remington?

I'm sure some experts will chime in, but there are SO many different recipes out there. Everyone has their favorite load. Personally, I've been using Hodgdon CFE Pistol for 9mm. I've also used Winchester WSF for 9mm which, from my experience, is absolutely identical to the CFE Pistol. WSF is labeled a shotgun powder, but it works well for some pistol reloading.

Fly

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 05:20:32 PM »
I've burned up a few pounds of WSF, no problem.  Same for Hodgon HP38 and Winchester 231.  I have a few pounds of CFE (haven't got into that stash yet).  Also have a few pounds of 231, as it is my personal favorite.  Like  Fly mentioned, there are numerous choices.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 06:43:05 PM »
Also have a few pounds of 231, as it is my personal favorite.

Mine too, for pistol.    So very doggone versatile.

However, Word on the WWWeb is that it's going to be discontinued.   

No sweatzsky:   Just switch to HP38.   Exact same stuff, and it will still be manufactured.

In the Wise Words of Roseanne Rosanna Danna, "It's always something!!"

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 09:32:33 PM »
 I have found that Unique is about the best powder I use for pistols, it has a wide range of uses,

Im still pretty good on powder, last panic. I ordered a metric **** ton of powder from 3 different wholesalers, planning on canceling the other 2 when 1 came in. all 3 shipped on the same day,   Im set for the long term
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 06:36:57 PM »
I have no problem finding H4895. And I don't reload pistol.

So I'm out😄
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 07:11:41 PM »
I have no problem finding H4895. And I don't reload pistol.

So I'm out😄

Two things to consider...

1) The price I get on these powder and primers will be considerably lower than what is listed on their website, as I'm getting discounted pricing. For example, 8# of Hodgdon CFE Pistol is normally around $140 + tax (~$9.80), but I can get it for about $118 plus the HazMat & shipping split. Assuming we get enough people together, the savings could be pretty good.

2) You can get find PLENTY of powder now, but the election in November could turn that around pretty quick. So what's the best way to prepare for the potential panic? Buy as much as you can right now! And how do you make your dollar go further to buy as much as you can right now? See 1) above!

Fly

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 10:00:18 PM »

1) The price I get on these powder and primers will be considerably lower than what is listed on their website, as I'm getting discounted pricing. For example, 8# of Hodgdon CFE Pistol is normally around $140 + tax (~$9.80), but I can get it for about $118 plus the HazMat & shipping split. Assuming we get enough people together, the savings could be pretty good.

2) You can get find PLENTY of powder now, but the election in November could turn that around pretty quick. So what's the best way to prepare for the potential panic? Buy as much as you can right now! And how do you make your dollar go further to buy as much as you can right now? See 1) above!

Fly

That's a good savings. Do you get a discount on everything like primers and bullets too?

I'm still on the fence. I need to save up for more NV, but this is tempting...
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 10:27:06 PM »
That implies I haven't been accumulating these things for awhile...😀
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 08:44:24 AM »
I don't have my press yet but I am picking up supplies while I debate the merits of the various kits out there.

I will see what I want to do here, OTF and perhaps be ordering through you.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 09:06:35 PM »

1) The price I get on these powder and primers will be considerably lower than what is listed on their website, as I'm getting discounted pricing. For example, 8# of Hodgdon CFE Pistol is normally around $140 + tax (~$9.80) (CORRECTION: I used powder as the example and I should have used primers) a 5K pack of CCI 500 primers is around $150 + tax, but I can get it for about $118 plus the HazMat & shipping split. Assuming we get enough people together, the savings could be pretty good.

2) You can find PLENTY of powder now, but the election in November could turn that around pretty quick. So what's the best way to prepare for the potential panic? Buy as much as you can right now! And how do you make your dollar go further to buy as much as you can right now? See 1) above!

Fly
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 10:35:05 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 09:10:46 PM »
That's a good savings. Do you get a discount on everything like primers and bullets too?

I'm still on the fence. I need to save up for more NV, but this is tempting...

Sorry Robert. I just saw your post. Let me know what you are looking at and I will call to get a price. I know that there are some pretty good discounts on powder and primers, but I'm not sure about bullets. Of course, any non HazMat items will not be included in the split of the HazMat charge. 

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 09:13:09 PM »
I don't have my press yet but I am picking up supplies while I debate the merits of the various kits out there.

I will see what I want to do here, OTF and perhaps be ordering through you.

Sounds good. Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,
Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 09:26:41 PM »
A little update for everyone. Besides my order, I have received pretty firm commitments from a few people. Most people are just looking for primers, but from what people have told me what they want, the HazMat and shipping should be a pretty nominal charge when split between each of us.

I have to go to work this next week, so please give me some time to call on prices and get an estimate on shipping. I can contact everyone to give them the estimate before I order if you like. If work gets crazy busy, this process may be further delayed.

PLEASE NOTE: in order to get their dealer pricing, I have to mail them a check, certified check, or money order. Of course, with a personal check, they will wait for it to clear before they ship so I will try to get to my bank branch to get a certified check to expedite the process. Regardless, this will slow things down a little as the check travels via snail-mail to Graf & Sons.

LAST THING: Could everyone PM via Facebook, or NFOA with your email or phone number where I can contact you? Let me know if you prefer a phone call or text message. I will use this to get in touch with everyone when I have an estimate and am ready to pull the trigger.

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 01:52:13 PM »
Just a heads up. I had a popup trip to Norway so I probably won't be able to reply to anyone or continue working on this until I return on Monday or Tuesday.

Fly

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 08:18:25 AM »
Going to have to pass on this for now.  Other priorities were pointed out to me by the spousal unit. (When she's right, she's right. Just wish is wasn't so often. :D )
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 05:59:08 PM »
Going to have to pass on this for now.  Other priorities were pointed out to me by the spousal unit. (When she's right, she's right. Just wish is wasn't so often. :D )

Understood.

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 10:09:42 AM »
I ran into a speed bump on this group buy. By far, the largest component on most everyone's lists is the CCI 500 Small Pistol Primers. Gaf & Sons just went out of stock on this item. I am going to suspend the buy for a little while to see if they get some more back in stock. A that point, I will contact everyone and make sure they are still interested in participating.

Thanks for your patience.
Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2016, 08:45:16 PM »
Ok guys. I've placed the first order. We had so many items, that I was able to fill up two Hazmat boxes and they were both right at the max weight (50#). For the remaining items, I will look at placing a second order when a few items come back into stock.

There are three items which are out of stock at this time.
  • CCI 500 Small Pistol Primer Case (5,000)
  • Federal Small Pistol Magnum Match Primers FDGM200M (5K)
  • Winchester Large Pistol Primer #7 (5K)
With these items, we will be right at 50# for another Hazmat charge. I've got a PDF listing the items ordered along with the cost of each item. Please PM me with an email address where I can send the PDF to. This first order is over $2K and I have to pay for it with a check since that is what is required to get the dealer pricing. I would appreciate it if everyone could send the money via PayPal "Send money to friends and family" method. This will avoid a fee. When I send you the PDF, I will include information about how to pay.

Thanks for your patience,
Fly