< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: RUGER LCR in .327 Federal Magnum  (Read 2577 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
RUGER LCR in .327 Federal Magnum
« on: August 17, 2016, 05:18:57 PM »
Well, I'm in the early stages of developing a passion for wunathese unusual little critters.

And......

There's a buncha questions I'd like to ask about them.

But.............

First, Anybody out there on the Forum even got one of these Rare Birds????

[No point in askin' questions if nobody's even got one.]

Your Turn.

sfg
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 06:21:45 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: RUGER LCR in .327 Federal Magnum
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
I been looking at one to, I got about 2k of 32 brass with nothing to shoot it out of,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline tackle8

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 08:00:40 PM »
I have one.  I have only shot 32 SW long and 32 HR magnum's out of it.  Never tried the 327 magnums thru it.  Only put approx. 50 rounds total thru it.  Not sure if I can answer many questions.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 09:02:12 PM »
Not sure if I can answer many questions.

Well, here's one:   Can you find .327 FedMag self-defense ammo for the gun any where??   Is unavailability of SD ammo the reason you haven't shot any??

I've prowled the shelves at Omaha area gun stores (Cabelas/Guns Unlimited/Scheels) and the shelf slots where the .327 SD ammo oughta be are empty.   Just a narrow little empty area in an otherwise shelf full of all other kinds of SD ammo.

sfg
BTW:   I'da thought that Shooter would have a shoebox full of these little rascals in all calibers by now.   Including .327 FedMag.
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 10:02:06 PM »
BTW:   I'da thought that Shooter would have a shoebox full of these little rascals in all calibers by now.   Including .327 FedMag.
  I do have a couple of old colts in 32, but I don't shoot those. more of a collector gun
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 11:45:43 PM »
I have a S&W J frame in that caliber, the factory ammo is extremely painful to shoot.  I use downloaded hand loads for any shooting.

I had a 4" Model 16 before in 32 H&R Mag it was a pup to shoot.

When I bought the gun I bought 1000rnds of new brass.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 08:44:31 AM »
Coupla Ruger LCR .327FedMag Video Reviews:

=======================
Hickok45  (A Fave Place to Checkout Online)   18+ minutes

Hickok demonstrates so-called "low-recoil" FedMag JHPs.   Seems to think recoil is manageable.   Doesn't actually demo any really hot SD loads, so no insights provided there.

Gunblast   (Good Ol' Boy w/Interesting Take on Growing Facial Hair)   6+ minutes

GOB demonstrates various loads (.32ACP, 100gr American Eagle SD, .32H&R Mag...)   Seems to handle recoil OK.

=======================

Possibility of hand-punishing recoil has been my main concern w/the LCR.

Some time ago I lusted for an LCR in .357MAG as an EDC gun.    Thought I'd shoot light .38SPCL target loads in it for practice and carry it w/.357s.  Figuring that in a stress situation, the harsh .357 BANGFACTOR would not be noticed, based on all else that might be going on.   (Like the difference in felt recoil between sighting in your deer rifle and actually shooting a Big Buck out in the field.)

Anyhow, my hand took a beating w/the .38SPCL LCR and I dropped the idea of owning one.

Later, word developed that mebbe the .327FedMag round wasn't such a hand-walloper.

So that's where I'm going with this particular thread.

Plus availability of target and SD ammo.

Plus whatever else might turn up.

I've finally learned to circle carefully around a potential new firearms purchase instead of busting right into it.   (Ever since I read the articles about the .22-250 caliber being the Best All-Around Varmint Caliber and found out otherwise the hard way.)

sfg

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 04:45:44 PM »
Midway USA claims to have Buffalo Bore 100 gr JHP in stock. Also American Eagle 100 gr JSP and Buffalo Bore 130gr Keith. Federal reduced recoil 85 gr Hydra-Shok is scheduled for arrival on October 7. Speer 100 gr Gold Dot is out of stock with no arrival date.

Recoil that Hickok45 considers "manageable" would have many people exclaiming, "I'll never do that again!" In a review of a subcompact, he said he doesn't mind grips too short for his little finger because he doesn't rely on it for control. My personal opinion is that your little finger contributes significantly because it has the advantage of the longest moment arm.

I find .357 magnum unpleasant in my 6 inch S&W model 19 unless I wear a glove for additional cushioning. I don't think I would want to shoot .38 spl in an LCR and .327 mag would be worse.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 04:52:35 PM »
As someone who likes the outdoorsman's "kit gun" concept I think it's kind of a neat caliber in theory, but only for those who reload and can work up various loads to span the gap between, say, .22 WMR and .38 special.

How big that gap really is and whether it needs to be spanned is not crystal clear to me.  Thirty-twos seem to be a niche product with a few occasional product runs punctuated by years of market ambivalence.  Yes 32s have their following, but the fans seem to fall victim to what Jeff Cooper used to call "Preoccupation with Inconsequential Increments."  Is a lightly loaded .38 or a .22 WMR any worse than a .32?  Will a feral cat notice the difference between the three?  I think not.

I do have to say the gun would be a lot more tempting if they'd release it as the "LCRX" version with a hammer.  Or, even better, the LCRX 3" barrel version.  Those are cool kit guns.

I find full power 158 grain magnums fun in an SP101 and a Smith 60 J frame.  I don't think I'd worry about the recoil as much as the reports of the eardrum-splitting decibels.

Edit..... Have you thought about the .22 WMR version if recoil is a consideration?   At least you can find ammo for that occasionally at Walmart and regularly at big sporting goods stores.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 05:03:21 PM by feralcatkillr »
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline tackle8

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 05:51:29 PM »
Well, here's one:   Can you find .327 FedMag self-defense ammo for the gun any where??   Is unavailability of SD ammo the reason you haven't shot any??

I've prowled the shelves at Omaha area gun stores (Cabelas/Guns Unlimited/Scheels) and the shelf slots where the .327 SD ammo oughta be are empty.   Just a narrow little empty area in an otherwise shelf full of all other kinds of SD ammo.

sfg

I bought the ammo a few years back for my SW 632 in 327 mag.  Haven't looked for any lately.  At the time, had purchased some at Cabelas, and some online.  I have not had the Ruger very long is why I have not put many rounds thru it.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 06:32:04 PM »
Have you thought about the .22 WMR version

With such a short barrel, will .22 WMR give significantly more velocity than .22 LR? Capacity is six in .22 WMR and eight in .22 LR.

I suspect SFG wants it because it strikes him as a cool combination of gun and caliber, not because it is the best solution to a specific problem. I think .327 mag is an interesting caliber but would do it in an SP101 with a three or four inch barrel and soft rubber grips to soak up the initial shock of the recoil.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 07:33:33 PM »
I think .327 mag is an interesting caliber but would do it in an SP101 with a three or four inch barrel and soft rubber grips to soak up the initial shock of the recoil.

Amen to that.  Adjustable sights would help take advantage of the wide variety of loads a handloader could shoot in the thing.  With the SP's tank-like construction, I'm willing to wager he prob'ly wouldn't blow this one up!   :laugh:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/6/17/the-return-of-the-ruger-sp101-327-fed-mag/

"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 11:30:58 PM »
I suspect SFG wants it because it strikes him as a cool combination of gun and caliber, not because it is the best solution to a specific problem.

Actually, I had carpal tunnel release operation about a year ago.   Hands are still a bit funky.  I tend to EDC my semi-auto w/empty chamber and then rack slide on draw to chamber first round.   Harder to do this year.   A revolver would solve the problem.  (And Forum colleagues could no longer beat me up for my MT chamber method.)

Plus the chatter is that the .327FedMag has muzzle energy up there w/.357Mag.

Plus the .327FedMag wheelguns have one more round in the cylinder (6 vs 5).

Plus "They" say that the recoil on the .327FedMag ain't all that bad  (vs. .357Mag, for example).

So...I'm poking around, trying to find out if what "They" say has any real-life validity a-tall.

Figgered the Forum is a good place to do the poking.

With the SP's tank-like construction, I'm willing to wager he prob'ly wouldn't blow this one up!
Well..............I could try.   Probably harder to do than that Flimsy Little Old XD. 

sfg