< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Lone Wolf Conversion Barrel  (Read 1826 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Lone Wolf Conversion Barrel
« on: September 27, 2016, 07:33:12 PM »
So I've got this bunch of 9mm reloads to shoot up.

Fortunately, some help is at hand:   My Luvly Daughter just went through Paul Horvick's NRA Certified Pistol Instructor course in Lincoln last weekend.   So she'll now want to burn up some rounds to continue building her shooting proficiency.   I'll have a range partner.   But my only 9mm (Kahr PM9/EDC BUG) happens to be hurtful to both our tender shooting paws after just a coupla magazines of lite-loaded 9mms.

Enter the LWD Conversion Barrel.   For a modest $110 (including shipping), I ordered online a drop-in 9mm conversion barrel for my Glock 23 .40S&W.   Took about five days to get here.

Barrel exchange was quick and glitchless.  No gunsmithing involved at all.

Did not do anything to the extractor, ejector, slide spring, or magazines.   (Those 13-round .40S&W mags will hold about 15 rounds of 9mm.)

Went to the range and tried out the setup.   About 200 rounds in all.

Nary a hiccup anywhere.   The whole system worked flawlessly.  Just like a Glock should work.

And no wear and tear on the hands like with the smaller handgun.

Now---Before anyone goes hollering, I would never use this setup for EDC/self-defense.  Back to the Glock 33 and Kahr PM9 for that kind of serious work.

But it is certainly an economical alternative for shooting my 9mm.  (Compared, say, to buying another handgun.   And don't say that I coulda bought a HiPoint C9 for the same hunnert buck$.)

And--BTW--the groupings were better with that 9mm conversion barrel.

FWIW

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Lone Wolf Conversion Barrel
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 08:52:44 PM »
I have a lone wolf 9mm barrel for a glock 22 and a storm lake 9mm barrel for a 357 M&P. Both have performed with zero hiccups. I do not use the .40 s&w mags, though. I think it would work but not as well as I think ammo could push through the lips on a full mag.

I have carried these as protection (rural outdoors) and would possibly consider where man could be main threat. Not at this point, though.

I want to get the glock 31 barrel as well just to satisfy my mild ocd and having 3 calibers in two different handguns. I also would like to get a glock 21 and barrels for 10mm and 460 rowland. While I am not a big glock fan, I own them because of their aftermarket support and the availability of affordable new and used guns, mags, and accessories. One of the online vendors recently had glock 22 police trades for $285.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 07:59:01 PM »
Bring LD down to the ENGC zombie shoot, that would be a fun way to burn up 2 or 3 hundred rounds.

https://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php?topic=15977.0

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 08:12:25 PM »
i use a threaded Storm Lake 9mm barrel for my M&P40.  i use 9mm mags though.  supposedly a full size barrel and full size mags will also work in a M&P compact version, i've never tried though.

i love conversions.

i also love how companies are designing guns that can work with various calibers.  the AR being most prominent.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 08:52:24 PM »
I have a Storm Lake conversion barrel on my G23.  I'll be more than happy to help you with your dire need to get rid of some ammo.  ;D

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 09:07:27 PM »
i use a threaded Storm Lake 9mm barrel for my M&P40.  i use 9mm mags though.  supposedly a full size barrel and full size mags will also work in a M&P compact version, i've never tried though.

i love conversions.

i also love how companies are designing guns that can work with various calibers.  the AR being most prominent.

Yes, full size does work in the compacts.

ARs in various calibers is another perilous trek I have begun. At this point I have 300 AAC in a pistol and rifle. My brother beat me to the 458 SOCOM. At least he let me shoot it this weekend! Best thing about these is they use the same mags. He gets 10 in a 30 rounder, 11 if he really tries.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 09:30:45 PM »
I'll be more than happy to help you with your dire need to get rid of some ammo....]

I'm shooting my home-grown reloads.

That fact should be a strong deterrent to any sensible, responsible, safety-minded shooter.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer