< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Let's get the NFOA behind this effort in Iowa!  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Let's get the NFOA behind this effort in Iowa!
« on: December 25, 2009, 11:55:19 AM »

http://www.iowacarry.org/index.php

Whom do you want carrying guns in Iowa?

Today in Iowa, the bad guys are already carrying weapons, but law-abiding citizens can legally be denied the right to protect themselves and their loved ones.

Arm Yourself With The Facts

Under Chapter 724.7 of the Iowa Code, a law abiding resident who desires to carry a concealed weapon must apply for a Permit to Carry Weapons to the sheriff of the county where they reside. The decision to issue a permit is made solely at the personal discretion of that county?s Sheriff.

At first glance, this seems reasonable. If you have a valid reason for carrying a weapon, you can get a permit, correct? Not necessarily.

Under current law and practice, any Sheriff may arbitrarily deny any applicant this right. Many do just that. The word ?may? in Chapter 724.7 above is the operative word. You may get your permit, or you may not!

There are literally 99 different issue policies in the state - one for each county Sheriff.

Even more appalling is the fact that those who are fortunate enough to be issued a permit in their home county (like Cedar, Jones, and Polk) may legally carry their weapon anywhere in the state - even in counties where a sheriff may issue no permits (like Dubuque, Emmet and Buena Vista) and the citizens who live there cannot exercise their right to self-defense outside of the home!  Why is it OK for a citizen in Jones county who receives a permit be denied that same permit if he moves to Dubuque county?  What changed other than a mailing address?

As it stands, Iowa Chapter 724.7 is a patently unfair and inequitable law. The concept of ?equal protection under the law? from the 14th Amendment to our U.S. Constitution immediately comes to mind.

It strikes most folks as unfair & unlikely for similar individuals to be treated differently when it comes to our rights under Iowa law. Yet records at the Iowa Department of Public Safety reveal that this is exactly what is happening with respect to issuing permits to carry weapons. The county map page shows the relative level of difficulty for a law-abiding citizen to be issued a permit depending only upon which county they live.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Let's get the NFOA behind this effort in Iowa!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 12:55:36 PM »
Does Iowa have a counterpart to the NFOA? 

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 07:39:48 AM »
how can citizens from outside the state help? 
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 07:43:46 AM »
I joined their organization.   http://www.iowacarry.org/files/Membership%20Form.pdf

I think a little financial support helps. Its hard for a non resident though to spend time contacting their elected representatives... Not sure they really listen.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
It would be in our good interest to help also, if we can.  If the current 'may issue' is changed, it opens the door for reciprocity. Correct?  Now I can carry in Omaha, but if I cross that river, I'm in violation.  Maybe I'd like to visit someday, but not if I cannot defend myself or my kids. 
Maybe that could be our angle.  Iowa depends on the Boats, Adventureland, etc.  for income and tourism. Things we dont have in NE.  like you said though, " would they listen?"
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline dl_schneider

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 07:45:36 PM »
Iowa Carry is a great organization and they are working very hard to get a fair shall issue law passed in my home state. The NRA has finally jumped on board this year and together ICO and the NRA have agreed on an excellent bill and are both backing it.

Before I moved out here this fall, I was Iowa Carry's County Coordinator for Tama County. I still keep a close watch on things happening back "home" and am really hoping to see a bill passed this year. I know the guys over there keep up with what is happening in the surrounding states, and I think the two organizations can really help each other out to make things right in both states.
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife."   -Daniel Boone

"I have a very strict gun control policy. If there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."   -Clint Eastwood

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 07:37:43 PM »
  dl_schneider, could I impose on you to be NFOA's  contact with IowaCarry and keep us all informed?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 07:38:57 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 08:44:53 PM »
  dl_schneider, could I impose on you to be NFOA's  contact with IowaCarry and keep us all informed?

Also let those that may know what we can do to help, that we are here and willing.

Offline dl_schneider

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 04:52:20 PM »
I'd be happy to. I'll get ahold of them and see what they think the members of this forum can do to help.
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife."   -Daniel Boone

"I have a very strict gun control policy. If there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."   -Clint Eastwood

Offline dl_schneider

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 05:37:06 PM »
Some of the suggestions I recieved from those over at Iowa Carry is to write handwritten letters to Governor Culver, and other elected officials at the statehouse. Ask them to support the NRA bill and be sure to mention reciprocity. Let them know that Nebraska honors Iowa's Permit to Carry and you would like the State of Iowa to recognize other states permits so that you can plan trips without having to avoid Iowa where your permit is not valid. If they know that no reciprocity will hurt the states income, they will be more apt to listen.

Also, include in your letters how the fears of "blood in the streets" has been unfounded by making it easier to obtain a permit.

If anyone has links to articles about how shall issue has not made Nebraska more dangerous, please either send the links to me and I will post them over there, or better yet, go over to Iowa Carry and post them yourselves. If I get some other ideas from the guys and gals over there I'll be sure to post them here.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 07:28:37 PM »
 Address for the Governor of Iowa

Office of the Governor & Lt. Governor
State Capitol   1007 East Grand Ave.    Des Moines, Iowa 50319
Phone: 515.281.5211   
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline ldp1959

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 06:48:42 PM »
Hi,

I lived in Iowa recently, and had a ccw while I was there.  While I admit it is problematic to have, theoretically, 99 different laws, I wholly understand.  I was really wishing that I was carrying while I took my class!  I am not a judgmental person, but I do not want some of those clowns carrying weapons.  It was almost like a loser crankhead convention.  There were some normal peeps, a few couples and this bunch of morons who do not need weapons anywhere in their vicinity.  Iowa needs to make their class stricter (there was no range time needed), it needs to be more thorough (Obama could have passed it) and it needs to be professionally done.  It was affordable, but I much prefer Nebraska's system, even though it was much more expensive, If I recall, it was $25.00.

Just my two cents worth...

Offline dl_schneider

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 05:06:16 PM »
The problem with the class in Iowa is that there is not set of standards that need to be taught. Each sherriff gets to decide what he will accept as appropriate training before issuing a permit. If the sherriff wanted to, he could easily say all you have to do is shoot a beer bottle off a fence post from 1 yard away and there ya go, you've satisfied his requirements and can get a permit. He can also decide that he thinks you passed gas as you left your house and can revoke your permit for it. I know these are silly examples, but that is how rediculous the system is right now.

The new bill that was introduced by the NRA will change that and establish set training standards that must be met.

On a side note, it sounds like there will be several legislators that will be co-sponsoring the bill. Hopefully this is the year we see a good shall carry law passed. It should be given a bill number later this week. I will keep you updated as to what the number is so that you can include it in any letters sent to those at the Iowa Capitol.

Offline dl_schneider

• Forum Member
UPDATE!!! IOWA SHALL ISSUE BILL
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 03:14:54 PM »
Hey everyone-

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that the NRA/Iowa Carry backed bill has been read into the house and now has a number. If anyone would like to write to the legislators in Iowa please ask them to support HF2255 This is a very good bill and it needs to be passed. The good news is that a bill needs 51 votes to pass the house, and it was entered with 43 co-sponsors on it.

A second bill regarding ccw was read today also that is supported by Iowa Gun Owners. It is a very radical bill that would eliminate the need for a permit period much like Vermont. Please do not ask for support of this bill, as it has very little chance of passing and we need as much support for HF2255 as possible. Iowa Carry knows that change needs to be incremental and a drastic change from may issue to no permit required will not happen.

The second bill may be very helpful to the NRA/Iowa Carry bill because it will show it as much more of a compromise between the two.

You can read the bill in its entirety here http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/Cool-ICE/default.asp?Category=billinfo&Service=Billbook&menu=false&hbill=HF2255

Offline Mosin

• NFOA Full Member
  • Go ahead make my day!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 12:00:34 AM »
That is great news!  For me and the State of Iowa gun owners.  I sure hope it passes.  Yes, I said it would also be good for me.  I will be trading in my Nebraska life for a new Iowa life in the next couple of months.  My wife has accepted a managers position to avoid not having a job.  The office she works at is going to be closed.  So I will have to move on.