< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Purchasing a handgun in omaha  (Read 2706 times)

Offline Al4171990

• Forum Member
Purchasing a handgun in omaha
« on: November 06, 2016, 06:53:08 PM »
Hello everyone. I don't know if this Question has been asked before as I didn't search the forums too closely but I would like to purchase a handgun at cabelas in Omaha and I live in Bennet about 10 miles south of Lincoln. I know I have to get a certificate to purchase a handgun but my question is do I have to get my permit in Lancaster county or Douglas county? My second question is the law states that I have to get a handgun permit to carry my gun in Omaha but I looked at the requirement and it says you have to live in Douglas county or did I read that wrong? My last question is do I have to apple for the Omaha firearm permit before going to cabelas or will they help me with it there?
Thank you for any information.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Purchasing a handgun in omaha
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 07:21:02 PM »
Cabelas is actually in LaVista, not Omaha.   So you will only need either (1) an NE Firearms (Handgun) Purchase Permit, aka NE Blue Card or (2) an NE Concealed Handgun Permit to purchase a handgun at Cabelas.

If you purchase a handgun within the city limits of Omaha, it's a whole other sticky wicket, so you are better off--all things being equal--to purchase the handgun at Cabelas or some other non-Omaha source..

You will need to obtain your NE Firearms Purchase Permit (Blue Card) in the county of your legal residence:
=================================
Nebraska State Statute 69-2404.
Certificate; application; fee.

Any person desiring to purchase, lease, rent, or receive transfer of a handgun shall apply with the chief of police or sheriff of the applicant's place of residence for a certificate [Blue Card]. The application may be made in person or by mail.

=================================

If you have a Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit, you can both Open Carry and Concealed Carry in Omaha.  I would advise against Open Carry, but that's your own personal choice.   If you do not have an NE CHP, you will not be able to carry concealed anywhere.   However, to carry openly in Omaha, you need something called an Omaha Handgun Identification Card (Open Carry Permit).   Since it costs about as much as an NE CHP and the Open Carry class is also about the same length and curriculum as the NE CHP, you would do best to obtain the CHP and forget about the Omaha Handgun Identification Card which only permits Open Carry within the city of Omaha.

If you purchase a handgun inside Omaha City Limits, you'll need an NE Firearms Purchase Permit (Blue Card) as a minimum.   First, you close the deal on your handgun, using money and your Blue Card.   Then you take the paperwork down to the Omaha Police Station at 15th and Howard to get it REGISTERED.   Then you take your registration back to where you bought the handgun to pick up the handgun and take it home.   If you have an NE CHP, this process does not apply.

Most knowledgeable folks would recommend getting your NE CHP in a timely manner.

Any additional questions........please post 'em.   Buying a handgun ain't a trivial act.

sfg
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 07:35:44 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Al4171990

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 07:28:07 PM »
You answered all my questions, thank you for that. I do plan on getting my conceal carry permit so I don't have to worry about it. I didn't really think about the fact that cabelas isn't in Omaha. I appreciate you taking the time to respond so fast.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 07:29:18 PM »
i agree with everything SFG said.  but if you live in Bennett, why not buy the gun through SilencerHQ in Bennett?  basically no drive time and cheaper sales tax.  i've also had them buy me a gun through a distributor and it saved me a lot of money.  just another option.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 07:43:35 PM »
i agree with everything SFG said.  but if you live in Bennett, why not buy the gun through SilencerHQ in Bennett?  basically no drive time and cheaper sales tax.  i've also had them buy me a gun through a distributor and it saved me a lot of money.  just another option.
Absolutely 2nd what Robert said.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 07:50:17 PM »
The Firearms Purchase Permit (Blue Card) will allow you to purchase a handgun fairly quickly.   In Douglas County (Omaha) it is issued while you wait.   Takes maybe 20-30 minutes, maximum.

The NE CHP can take considerably longer.    First, find a class.   Next, wait until the class date rolls around.  Then take the class.  Then fill out the application with all the supporting documents and take them to your local NE State Patrol Troop.   Get fingerprinted, photographed, and pay $100 fee.   Then go home and wait 4-6 weeks or so, depending on the backlog at the NSP CID office in Lincoln.   Then go check the mailbox, take out the brown envelope, pocket your CHP.   Could be awhile before you get to exercise your right to purchase a firearm.

OTOH, You can obtain your Blue Card from your county sheriff much more quickly.   Perhaps as a walk-in.   Nebraska law allows the sheriff up to 3-4 days (can't recall exactly, but close enough) for processing if it happens that they don't do walk-ins.

Whatever you do, don't pack concealed until the CHP is in your possession.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 08:44:18 AM »
I believe in Sarpy county the Handgun Purchase Permit is taking about a week to get because they only take them on certain days and then you have the weekend to deal with. It's the easiest process and you can get your CCP after you have the weapon.

My $.02 is to get your gun from SilencerHQ since you are right there and they are great people to deal with. Saves you fuel and aggravation of standing in line waiting for your number to be called at Cabela's. I would say it keeps the money in the state, but at this point Cabela's is still a Nebraska company. :)
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 10:14:37 AM »
Another nearby store for you is DE Guns in Lincoln (deguns.net).   They have a retail store in Lincoln and offer nationwide online sales, like Buds Gun Shop.   They are also an NFOA advertiser, as can be readily seen over at the right side of the screen>>>>>>>>

Their prices, especially their Deal of the Day   https://www.deguns.net/dealoftheday.asp, are about as rock-bottom as it gets.   Plus you can go into their local retail store, speak with a sales clerk, and examine the handgun.

I have heard that their store can often be very busy, but if a store is especially busy, it usually has something special to offer to its customers.

So with SilencerHQ and DE Guns right in your own neighborhood, maybe you can be spared the trip up I-80 and back.

FWIW

sfg

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 10:43:36 AM »
Another nearby store for you is DE Guns in Lincoln (deguns.net).   They have a retail store in Lincoln and offer nationwide online sales, like Buds Gun Shop.   They are also an NFOA advertiser, as can be readily seen over at the right side of the screen>>>>>>>>

Their prices, especially their Deal of the Day   https://www.deguns.net/dealoftheday.asp, are about as rock-bottom as it gets.   Plus you can go into their local retail store, speak with a sales clerk, and examine the handgun.

I have heard that their store can often be very busy, but if a store is especially busy, it usually has something special to offer to its customers.

So with SilencerHQ and DE Guns right in your own neighborhood, maybe you can be spared the trip up I-80 and back.

FWIW

sfg
Agreed DE is a good choice as well, was just there the other day.  It was busy, almost couldn't get your hand in your own pocket. 

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 11:18:29 AM »
Agreed DE is a good choice as well, was just there the other day.  It was busy, almost couldn't get your hand in your own pocket.
That's better than someone else trying to get their hand in your pocket. ;)
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 12:23:21 PM »
That's better than someone else trying to get their hand in your pocket. ;)
You mean like the guv mint?  I hear they're here to "Hep" us.  lol

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 02:07:46 PM »
You mean like the guv mint?  I hear they're here to "Hep" us.  lol
Hey, I wasn't naming names or anything (Unca Sam)

Offline Al4171990

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 02:53:00 PM »
Honestly I didn't even realize that silencerhq was in Bennet otherwise I would have looked there Lang ago. I just moved out here about 2 months ago and live outside of the village so I usually just go into Lincoln for stuff rather than into Bennet but I will definitely check them out before buying at cabelas. The main reason I thought of cabelas was there large selection of pre owned guns. I want to keep my first purchase fairly cheap so I figured the first one should be used.. I will look at silencerhq and DEGuns before I make up my mind in what I want. Thanks for all the help.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 03:00:55 PM »
Honestly I didn't even realize that silencerhq was in Bennet otherwise I would have looked there Lang ago. I just moved out here about 2 months ago and live outside of the village so I usually just go into Lincoln for stuff rather than into Bennet but I will definitely check them out before buying at cabelas. The main reason I thought of cabelas was there large selection of pre owned guns. I want to keep my first purchase fairly cheap so I figured the first one should be used.. I will look at silencerhq and DEGuns before I make up my mind in what I want. Thanks for all the help.
FYI, if you're looking used don't forget Armslist online, you can check by state on their site.  I've bought and sold several there.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 04:06:09 PM »
Thanks for mentioning that Les, I totally forgot about that as well.
Here is a quick link to the Nebraska section of ArmsList with only For Sale. You can filter further for only Private Party if you like as well as for caliber and style.

http://www.armslist.com/classifieds/search?location=nebraska&category=all&posttype=1&ships=False

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 05:28:31 PM »
If you want to buy used, police trade-ins are usually a good buy.  My workhorse practice 9mm Glock was a police trade-in and I've run 20,000 or so rounds through it and it's still going strong (though I have replaced a part here and there).  Last time I talked to Logan Smith of Smith Arms and Ammo in Ashland (which was a year or so ago) he was selling police trade-ins for a good price.  Probably other dealers selling them too.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.