General Categories > Help!

Non-Nebraska resident looking to purchase a gun.

(1/3) > >>

weekndornah:
Hey all,

I'm technically a Hawaii resident and I've been hesitant to relinquish it for Nebraska, even though I've lived in Omaha for >5 years now.

How would I go about all of the permits and paperwork so that I can legally own a gun in the state of Nebraska?

I have no desire to take my gun back to Hawaii with me. For all intents and purposes, the gun will stay in the state of Nebraska as long as I live here.

Thanks guys.

SS_N_NE:
Long gun or pistol? You will be keeping the firearm in Omaha?

SemperFiGuy:
You'll need either a NE Firearms Purchase Permit (Blue Card) or NE Concealed Handgun Permit to purchase a handgun in Nebraska, whether from a licensed dealer or an individual.    Either one will work OK.   However, only NE residents are eligible for these documents.

You could physically transport your personally-owned handgun from your home state to Nebraska/Omaha under federal law (18 USC 926a).  Then that handgun would need to be immediately registered with the Omaha Police Department, first thing upon arrival.

You can rent a handgun at a commercial shooting range without a Blue Card, if the range management will so permit.   (Many will not rent without a Blue Card, regardless.)

You can borrow a handgun for shooting so long as the legal owner is with you in immediate visual and aural contact.

Your first step is to clearly determine your legal state of residence, i.e., where you are registered to vote, your auto is licensed, driver's license is issued, place of work, mail is delivered, etc.   You may actually be a Nebraska resident whether you realize it or not.   You would benefit from a discussion with an attorney on that point.

Probably not a good idea to ever acquire (purchase, own, possess, receive in transfer) a handgun until all ducks are lined up in a nice, neat, clearly legal row.

sfg

JAK:
According to Federal Law, as a non resident you can only purchase long guns from a licensed dealer (FFL) outside of the state you are a resident of.

Some states (I am not sure if Nebraska is one of them) ban the sale of guns to non residents except for bordering states.

The only exception to this that I am aware of is for Active Duty military.  If you are stationed in Nebraska, you are treated the same as a resident.  You will need to be able to prove you are stationed in Nebraska (orders) and your current address.

John K

weekndornah:
Thanks for your responses so far guys.

I really want to do things properly, legally, and get my ducks in a row. The language of the law has been pretty difficult for me to navigate.

I have a Hawaii Driver's license, and I registered to vote in Hawaii.
My car is registered in Douglas County, and my utility bills are all in Omaha proper.
I am not active military nor have I served in the military.
Law abiding millennial in graduate school with a clean record.
I currently have no permits or registration or anything of the sort for firearms in HI/NE/any other state.

Right now I'm interested in a handgun, but a rifle is definitely something I would like in my future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version