< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Question about Level II Steel Challenge Match...  (Read 1841 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Question about Level II Steel Challenge Match...
« on: November 12, 2016, 03:13:03 PM »
For next year's Level II Steel Challenge Championship, we are thinking about running it in a half-day format, which means:

1) You could shoot up to four different divisions
2) We would have shooting both Saturday and Sunday
3) Your squad would shoot the entire match (all eight stages) in a half-day format--you'd shoot the entire thing for any particular division either in one morning, or one afternoon
4) You could shoot up to two guns on the same squad---so if you wanted to shoot four divisions, you could shoot two in the morning and two in the afternoon (on either of the days, or combination of days) or one gun each morning and afternoon on both days

Examples of possible shooting schedules (note:  YOU are the one squadding, so you get to choose your shooting schedule.):
  • Shooting four divisions---two in the morning on Saturday, two in the afternoon on Sunday.
  • Shooting two divisions---two in the afternoon on Saturday
  • Shooting two divisions--one each morning
  • Shooting three divisions--one morning and one afternoon on Saturday, one in the afternoon on Sunday
  • Shooting four divisions--two in the morning on Sunday, then two in the afternoon on Sunday
....you have a lot more choices as to when you get to shoot.

Does that sound interesting to you?  More time shooting versus standing around, and if you had scheduling issues on either Saturday or Sunday it would be easier to work around them...

Most likely, the match cost is going to be:
  • $25 for the first division, which ALSO includes a meal ticket.
  • $15 for each additional division, up to a maximum of four divisions.
As such, you could shoot four divisions and have lunch for a total cost of $70.  (If you wanted to shoot on two days, you'd have to buy your own lunch on the other day---you only get one free lunch!)  We'd limit the squads to 8 guns, to make certain you would finish in a half-day.

If we set it up this way, would that make you more likely to shoot the match?  If it would make it more likely that you'd shoot it, would you also be more likely to also shoot more divisions?  (I mean, you could shoot four divisions in one day with lunch paid for...)  Do you hate this idea, and would rather run it like last year with 16-gun squads, and all-day shooting?

What do you think? 
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Question about Level II Steel Challenge Match...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 04:16:59 PM »
Shoot more guns, ouch, you're killing me :laugh:

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 09:57:08 AM »
Anyone else have an opinion they'd like to add?  (What, 80 people have read this but only 6 took the poll?  I'm not recording names and email addresses for spam, like the USCCA or anything!  :) )

And for those folks who are on the fence about it---$25 to shoot the match, including lunch, is probably the best match fee you'll ever see for a major.  This is a Level II match, so we are talking state-championship level....and it is only $15 for any additional divisions after the first one. 

That's all you get charged to shoot one division at a LOCAL match!  And this is a championship, with medals, division and category finishes, and all 8 official SC stages!

Is the half-day format something that would help you come out and shoot it?
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline PC13

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 10:57:43 PM »
Reading this on a phone app so I can't take the poll, but duration is  always a major contributor to my decision to travel to a match.  A half day format would be a huge plus. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jarelj

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 08:14:28 AM »
I didn't shoot the match last year so can't compare, but I like the 1/2 day format idea, really I can't see any way that would be a negative for anyone.  If you wanted to shoot a whole day, you could shoot both morning and afternoon sessions, use the same gun in a different division or use a different gun.  I could see myself shooting pistol in the morning and PCC in the afternoon or something along those lines.  The only downside I see to the limited number of shooters on each squad to allow each competitor to shoot 2 divisions would be the complications of competitors getting on the squad with the people they want to shoot with.  Knowing this has been an issue at the matches this year, I think that concept would double those problems.  But I don't know the typical counts for those matches either, maybe it's not an issue.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 06:29:06 PM »
I'm strongly in favor of the half day format.  Can you say, 4 divisions?