< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 2016 Deer Season  (Read 3897 times)

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
2016 Deer Season
« on: November 13, 2016, 01:29:11 PM »
My season only lasted about 30 mins. Just got settled in opening morning and then saw a little buck sniffing around, although I could barely see him with my binocs since it was still dark. About 20 til 7 I heard some grunting. A doe came out followed closely by this guy. His last mistake. Pretty nice 9pt, a bit over 200lbs I estimate. How'd it go for you guys?
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: 2016 Deer Season
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 03:35:21 PM »
nice job!

i love seeing those cans!
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 07:50:56 PM »
How about an AAR on the rifle and cartridge you used?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 08:12:30 PM »
Notice that perfect neck shot.

You can bet Hardwood did not have to follow a blood trail and track down that buck.

Not even one step.   Not even a smidgen.

That's the shot that makes them crumple down right where they are standing.

Nicely done, Hardwood.   Nicely done.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 10:15:57 PM »
Rifle is a Palmetto State (complete upper, put the lower together) 18" SS barrel in 6.8spc. It is a tack driver. The round was Hornady 120gr SST, this rifle likes that round as well. Can is a YHM Ti Phantom .308. Shot was taken about 75yds, deer standing nearly broadside. Like I said, all went very smoothly- I'm not used to that!

Who else has pics to share?
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 10:01:28 AM »
Today is my 41st birthday so I kept my youngerst daughter out of school to see if she could match the feat of getting her first deer on my birthday like the oldest did last year. She did not disappoint! Last year was a thirty yard broadside for oldest. This one was nearly 100 yards quartering towards us and she did just fine!  I even got to strip down and drag it 15 yards out of the river, lol.

First pic is last year, second is this morning.

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 10:10:18 AM »
Both deer taken with an ar that I built in 300 AAC. Bullets are fiocchi 125 grain hornady sst.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 02:31:25 PM »
My season only lasted about 30 mins. Just got settled in opening morning and then saw a little buck sniffing around, although I could barely see him with my binocs since it was still dark. About 20 til 7 I heard some grunting. A doe came out followed closely by this guy. His last mistake. Pretty nice 9pt, a bit over 200lbs I estimate. How'd it go for you guys?

Is it just the way I'm seeing that picture?  Where are the rear legs?
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 09:12:47 AM »
I've never gotten a deer on opening morning.  This year I had two by 9:00 a.m.  Lots of smallish deer on the place.  Good eating but no racks like Hardwood's.

For SFG's benefit, neither of my deer took more than a couple steps after being shot.  One was at about 80 yards.  The other wast at about 260.  A buck and a doe.

Still have a third tag.  Probably headed back out this weekend.

Rifle: Remington 700 SBS Tactical in .308, MDT LSS chassis, Vortex scope, Liberty can

Deer

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 11:08:11 AM »
For SFG's benefit, neither of my deer took more than a couple steps after being shot.  One was at about 80 yards.  The other wast at about 260.  A buck and a doe.

Nice going, Toby.   Busy, productive morning.

FWIW, every deer or antelope that I've ever shot in the classic heart-lungs spot has run off, anywhere from 50 to 300 yards.   (Head/neck shots have fallen right down on the very spot.)

We expect that you'll fill that 3rd tag right away.

sfg
BTW....might wanna watch those gut piles for some coyote activity.   They love deer season.

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 11:26:20 AM »
My buddy and I each got a deer about half an hour into our hunt on Sunday morning. I got a doe, and he got a little button buck for his first ever deer. I lent him my Savage Model 11 Hog Hunter .308 with SilencerCo Harvester, and I used a home-built AR in 5.56mm with a Huntertown Arms Kestrel 5.56 can. We were hunting down near Elk Creek.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 11:06:19 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 11:44:56 AM »

We expect that you'll fill that 3rd tag right away.

sfg
BTW....might wanna watch those gut piles for some coyote activity.   They love deer season.

I'm waiting for something a little larger.  The tag is still open.

The gut piles are cleaned up as they were close to the chicken house.

I could have popped a coyote, though, about 30 minutes before the buck came along.

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 07:20:38 PM »
I don't have a place to rifle hunt, so I had to try my luck with the bow.  Got out on Sunday at around 3 pm.  At 415, 2 does walked about 15 yards behind me.  At about 430, I saw a buck chase a doe all the way across the field I was hunting.  10 minutes later, they both came walking back along the back side of the field, about 350 yds away.  I tried using a doe bleat and grunted, but he didn't give it any attention.  But, as soon as I wheezed at him, he must've gotten pissed of.  He came trotting all the way across the field to me.  About half way, he stopped and I wheezed at him again.  That was all it took.  He walked right to me.  The first pic is a full body shot.  The second pic is taken from the stand I shot him from about 30 seconds after he went down.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 10:00:34 PM »
Geez, Banmandr, any closer and you could invite him up for a beer!  :laugh:
Well done.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 09:14:44 AM »
Son got a nice 12 pointer, step grandson got a nice 10 pointer, I am still looking for a big one (bigger then theirs).  No hurry, no sweat if I don't get one.

Now, why do people think it is OK to drive the ditches (both pickup and 4 wheelers) and shoot into the creeks?  Twice my son and I had to duck whissing bullets.  This year is worse then others.  They drive in on the driveway, hurry in and hurry out.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 04:45:04 PM »
2nd picture is of my 88 year old Dad with a Muley he took Sun morning with my rem 700 syn in 243 win.  I'm more proud/happy of him than I am of getting one myself as he's had health issues for the first 3 months this year and hasn't got a deer for several years.  He was excited as a 12 year old, lol.  1st picture is the Muley I took with my newly acquired 6.5 Grendel upper.  It was a real pita getting the upper, scope, mount and threaded adapter here by traveling time on Friday late afternoon.  Still the mount didn't arrive till Sat (Got a bone to pick with Brownell's) so took the mount and scope off the existing upper and sighted it in right before leaving, luckily the range isn't far away.  Extremely blessed, Dad still around, good spots to hunt, does it get any better?  Oops almost forgot, hunting spot is my Aunt's pasture in SW Ne. lots of canyons and fingers of cover bordered by mostly wheat fields and some dryland corn. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:00:40 PM by Les »

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 04:07:40 PM »
Is it just the way I'm seeing that picture?  Where are the rear legs?

Yeah, my cousin saw that and accused me of photo-shopping it! They are tucked under the grass from the way I pulled him around.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 04:11:04 PM »
Nicely done all around. Love to see the kids participating too.