< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Open Carry in Omaha  (Read 2231 times)

Offline CrazyGolfNut

• NFOA Full Member
Open Carry in Omaha
« on: November 19, 2016, 08:21:37 AM »
Can I open carry in the City of Omaha if I have my CHP?  Do you need another class or another permit?  I have been searching around and all I do is get confused.  It looks like Omaha is more strict than other parts of Nebraska and they refer you to the National Safety Council. 

I found this on the Omaha Police Department website:

Omaha Municipal Code 20-206 prohibits people from carrying concealable firearms (handguns) in the open within the City of Omaha limits with some exceptions. One exception is obtaining the "open carry permit." This can be obtained through the National Safety Council, Nebraska.

The Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) which is issued by the Nebraska State Patrol allows a person to carry a concealable firearm (handgun) concealed on or about their person. In the City of Omaha, this particular permit DOES allow a person to carry a concealable firearm IN THE OPEN, per Omaha Municipal Code 20-206, subsection B (10).

It looks like with a CHP it is ok to open carry.  Just wondering if I am understanding it correctly.  Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:41:45 AM by GunsForGolfer »
“He flourished his sword, I pulled out my gun and shot him”
Harrison Ford / Indiana Jones

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Open Carry in Omaha
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 08:50:33 AM »
Yes, your CHP allows you to open carry in Omaha.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 08:58:55 AM »
Plain Old Idle Curiosity Prompts This Question:

If you hold an NE CHP, why would you want to Open Carry??

Like I said, just being nosy.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline CrazyGolfNut

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 09:10:43 AM »
I was asked by a coworker what the law was in Omaha and I did not have a solid answer.  This is just for my knowledge.  I don't plan to open carry.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 09:17:35 AM »
I don't plan to open carry.

As it happens, whatever choice you make is your own business.

I was simply curious.

The Open Carry issue has received some fairly focused discussion on this Forum in the past and it has been interesting to read the various perspectives that have been laid out hereon.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline CrazyGolfNut

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 08:18:02 PM »
Thanks for your replies. 

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 12:28:16 PM »
Plain Old Idle Curiosity Prompts This Question:

If you hold an NE CHP, why would you want to Open Carry??

Like I said, just being nosy.

sfg

Even if not planning on Open Carry, it would make a difference if for some reason your gun became un-concealed:  reaching etc.

Just my 2 cents.

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 12:41:38 PM »
Even if not planning on Open Carry, it would make a difference if for some reason your gun became un-concealed:  reaching etc.

Pretty much in full agreement here.

Which is why I happen to maintain a current Omaha Handgun Identification Card (aka Omaha Open Carry Permit), even though it is not required, based on my current NE CHP.   One more credential to show any LEOs who might arrive in fully alerted LEO mode.

Kind of a both-belt-and-suspenders approach.

sfg