< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Wanted: Sage Advice from the CHP Gurus....  (Read 4243 times)

Offline Hondo

• NFOA Full Member
Wanted: Sage Advice from the CHP Gurus....
« on: November 29, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »
I've been poring over the Nebraska CHP law, but I have a question:   If I have a handgun locked in a steel box under the seat of my vehicle.....am I "carrying" a concealed handgun ?     Or am I only "carrying" a concealed handgun if it is on my person or readily accessible ?     

I was driving a commercial truck and was flagged down after pulling across the scale for a vehicle inspection.  Since it wasn't a 'usual' contact by law enforcement, and my handgun was locked in a steel box in the cab......I didn't 'notify' the officer.......he inspected the truck and at the end asked for my license and registration.....he was a little upset that I didn't 'notify'......I told him the gun was locked in a steel box, he said it didn't matter....it was in the vehicle.... He let me off because it wasn't a 'usual contact'......but I'm curious...  Thanks in advance.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Wanted: Sage Advice from the CHP Gurus....
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 12:29:46 PM »
IMHO You were carrying concealed and should have notified... unless it was not loaded, without any ammunition in proximity, and it was inaccessible from anyone in the cab... then you may have met the requirements for Safe passage under federal law, or you may have been arrested and had your permit revoked if the officer decided to let a judge sort it out.

Is it really worth taking that chance?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 01:19:07 PM »
I agree with Dan, you probably SHOULD have notified the Officer. I always recommend to folks to notify the Officer (if you are a permit holder) even if you are not carrying. This way when an Officer runs your name, there aren't any surprises to them.

If it was locked in a case under the seat and not readily accessible, then technically I would say you were NOT carrying concealed.

Of course I'm not a Attorney, so my opinion is only my two cents.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 02:16:34 PM »
If it was locked in a case under the seat and not readily accessible, then technically I would say you were NOT carrying concealed.

The fact that it was loaded takes it out of clear transportation situations (not accessible to the driver, unloaded for transportation, etc), and into a grey area where it isn't well-defined  (not accessible, but not correct according to interstate transportation rules either)....which is another way of saying "we don't know because there isn't a clear answer, so the only way to find out would be in court."

...and you probably don't want to do that.

Note:  This isn't me disagreeing with Chris, I personally think you can't be "carrying" when it is locked away from you.  However, that doesn't mean that law enforcement will agree, and the law itself on this is....non-specific.

My personal opinion is that if you have a loaded gun in the car, inform.  If it is unloaded but on your person, inform.  If it is unloaded in a case, don't worry about it.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 02:23:34 PM »
Wanted:  Sage Advice from the CHP Gurus....

Not really a CHP Guru, but here are some thoughts that may be useful:

Let's start with "usual" contact."  No "usual" contact provision is made in the NE Concealed Handgun Act.   

The term "contact" is quite specific:

=====================================
NEBRASKA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE
TITLE 272/CHAPTER 21

SECTION 2 - DEFINITIONS
002.04   Contact With Emergency Services Personnel shall mean that the permit holder is provided treatment by emergency services personnel in the course of their official duties.

002.05   Contact With a Peace Officer shall mean that the permit holder has been stopped, detained, questioned, or addressed by a peace officer for an official purpose or in the course of his or her official duties.
=====================================

You were clearly in "contact" with a sworn law enforcement officer in the course of his official duties.

What is less clear is the determination of when a handgun is being carried concealed and when it is simply being legally transported.

Federal transport condition is described in 18 USC 926a Federal Code, wherein the handgun is not readily  accessible from within the passenger compartment.   For an expanded case law definition of readily accessible, well....best to consult an attorney who is knowledgeable in federal and state firearms law.   

My very uneducated non-lawyer guess is that your (unloaded?) handgun was not readily accessible to you in the legal sense, because it wasn't in a grab-and-shoot condition, due to its inclusion in a locked container.   

However, if that locked container happened to be the glove compartment or console, then the handgun is (a) readily accessible and (b) an actual concealed handgun.   

Now:   Should you have notified the LEO of the handgun at the very get-go of the contact?

In the immortal phraseology of the Great Sarah Palin:   Yew-Betcha!!!

Legally required?                                             (Most Likely) NO
A very reasonable, sensible courtesy:                YEWBETCHA!!

The LEO was gonna find out anyhow.   Proof of Case:   He actually did.
So........why not get the fact of the handgun out in the open at the very start of the contact??   Most folks don't want to deal with an unhappy LEO, especially if we made him that way.

Bottom Line Recommendation:   
If you are a CHP Holder, Notify the LEO and Tell Him What's Going On.   That is, "I do" or "I do NOT" have a concealed handgun in my possession at this time.

Because You Asked.

FWIW

sfg

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 02:29:03 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 02:33:16 PM »
One More Item:

You didn't say whether the handgun was "loaded" or not.

Makes a Big Difference.

Ahhhhhhhhh............   And if we only knew the complete, full, accurate, legal definition of "loaded".

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 02:37:25 PM »
There is NO definition of a "Loaded Handgun" in Nebraska law that I am aware of.

"Unloaded and locked in a case" is what comes from Federal law....... which is dealing with Interstate transportation

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 02:38:19 PM »
The fact that it was loaded takes it out of clear transportation situations (not accessible to the driver, unloaded for transportation, etc), and into a grey area where it isn't well-defined  (not accessible, but not correct according to interstate transportation rules either)....which is another way of saying "we don't know because there isn't a clear answer, so the only way to find out would be in court."

...and you probably don't want to do that.

Note:  This isn't me disagreeing with Chris, I personally think you can't be "carrying" when it is locked away from you.  However, that doesn't mean that law enforcement will agree, and the law itself on this is....non-specific.

My personal opinion is that if you have a loaded gun in the car, inform.  If it is unloaded but on your person, inform.  If it is unloaded in a case, don't worry about it.

Its Ok to disagree with me  :-)

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 02:48:40 PM »
They let you run the lights and siren when you inform them ... or show them your CHP badge .....

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 02:53:59 PM »
They let you run the lights and siren when you inform them ... or show them your CHP badge .....

It even gets better than that...........

They Don't Shoot You.

sfg

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 02:57:06 PM »
Its Ok to disagree with me  :-)

Wouldn't dare.

Now.......YOU are speaking of Nebraska Law.

Tom and I are speaking of 18 USC 926A/Federal Code.

We are all correct.

Ain't it Great!!!

sfg

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 04:28:11 PM »
...reading back, it occurs me to that for some reason I thought someone said it was loaded.

On reading again, I can't find that.  So....yeah.  Never mind! 
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 04:51:31 PM »
this is why i love this forum.  so much knowledge.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 05:18:52 PM »
Since we're on this subject, not meaning to hi-jack the thread however, hypothetically if I have a pistol in the glove box while I'm a passenger (Legal CHP) is everyone in the vehicle carrying concealed?  I know this has been discussed in the past but it doesn't hurt to refresh everyones memory. 

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 05:30:17 PM »
Since we're on this subject, not meaning to hi-jack the thread however, hypothetically if I have a pistol in the glove box while I'm a passenger (Legal CHP) is everyone in the vehicle carrying concealed?  I know this has been discussed in the past but it doesn't hurt to refresh everyones memory.

Here's the legal skinny on that question:
=======================
28-1212.
Presence of firearm in motor vehicle; prima facie evidence.

The presence in a motor vehicle other than a public vehicle of any firearm or instrument referred to in section 28-1203, 28-1206, 28-1207, or 28-1212.03 shall be prima facie evidence that it is in the possession of and is carried by all persons occupying such motor vehicle at the time such firearm or instrument is found, except that this section shall not be applicable if such firearm or instrument is found upon the person of one of the occupants therein.
=======================

sfg
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 05:55:24 PM by SemperFiGuy »

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2016, 05:49:52 PM »

Yes discussed here before but I look forward to the answers and would also add... are my minor children in the backseat criminals?  I've always been curious about that.

Dad, Mom and Kids are on a road trip. Dad takes off his uncomfortable IWB holster during the long drive and stows it under his seat. Mom and Dad have CHPs so are GTG. What's the status of the 13 and 15 y.o. kids in the back seat?
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 07:02:12 PM »
Yes discussed here before but I look forward to the answers and would also add... are my minor children in the backseat criminals?  I've always been curious about that.

Dad, Mom and Kids are on a road trip. Dad takes off his uncomfortable IWB holster during the long drive and stows it under his seat. Mom and Dad have CHPs so are GTG. What's the status of the 13 and 15 y.o. kids in the back seat?

Yeah, always seemed to me to be all sorts of legal landmines, that's why I opened this up for more discussion.  Accessible not accessible, loaded not loaded, things that make you go , hmmmmmmm. And I would rather not be a test case.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 09:39:56 PM »

Here's the legal skinny on that question:
=======================
28-1212.
Presence of firearm in motor vehicle; prima facie evidence.

The presence in a motor vehicle other than a public vehicle of any firearm or instrument referred to in section 28-1203, 28-1206, 28-1207, or 28-1212.03 shall be prima facie evidence that it is in the possession of and is carried by all persons occupying such motor vehicle at the time such firearm or instrument is found, except that this section shall not be applicable if such firearm or instrument is found upon the person of one of the occupants therein.
=======================

Precisely the reason my wife got her CCP. This way I could drive without the gun in the holster and she wouldn't get in trouble.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 10:29:15 AM »
Precisely the reason my wife got her CCP. This way I could drive without the gun in the holster and she wouldn't get in trouble.

But what about my hypothetical with the kids in the backnseat?  Is a three-year-old strapped in a car seat a criminal if Dad puts his weapon in the center console on a long road trip?  What if he's ten years old? What if he's seventeen and still to young to get a CHP?

If an adult from the Panhandle is taking his high school-age kids and their teenage friends on a road trip to Omaha in a 15 person van, and he unwisely puts his pistol in the driver's side door storage, did he make a criminal out of a dozen people without their even knowing that he was in possession of a pistol?

If so this law needs changed.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 10:36:10 AM »
But what about my hypothetical with the kids in the backnseat?  Is a three-year-old strapped in a car seat a criminal if Dad puts his weapon in the center console on a long road trip?  What if he's ten years old? What if he's seventeen and still to young to get a CHP?

If an adult from the Panhandle is taking his high school-age kids and their teenage friends on a road trip to Omaha in a 15 person van, and he unwisely puts his pistol in the driver's side door storage, did he make a criminal out of a dozen people without their even knowing that he was in possession of a pistol?

If so this law needs changed.

That's what I'm referring to, seems vague and many scenarios not addressed.