< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Feeling a little better...  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
Feeling a little better...
« on: December 07, 2016, 12:55:31 PM »
Several months ago I was asked by my father to hold a personal training session with my niece about guns. Her parents are divorced and although her father is an avid hunter, he isn't not a great teacher and mom just doesn't have the resources so I agreed. We tried to get a time together and dates just kept falling through.
Finally we got a date set and my father brought her to the house and we spent about 2.5 hours talking about guns, the 4 rules, handling, and shooting. As she is a teen I did my best to be relevant and humorous while also teaching, but you know how it can be with teens, you never know. :) We ended with some time on the LASR system I have and she seemed to enjoy that part of our time together.
The next day I get a text from her thanking me and that was about it.
Fast forward to today. SandyHook Promise releases a "PSA" to the media, not even posting it on their own sight, that focuses on "learning to watch for the signs of gun violence". My niece posts a link from a media websight so I watch it and groan.

Then I see her comment: "I saw it but guns aren't the problem it's people because if you don't touch a gun it don't go anything but if you hold one it's a weapon"(sic)

She got it. She heard what was said and got it.

Don't give up on teaching the kids about safe firearm handling they actually are listening. ;)

Next up is to get her out on a range punching holes in paper.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:40:13 PM by Mali »
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Feeling a little better...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 12:59:22 PM »
AWESOME!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 04:45:34 PM »
As with most subjects, education is key.  I've had very similar results with my own kids and niece and nephew.  Gotta keep "pluggin away"

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 07:34:47 AM »
I would say you did indeed do well. Teens are hard to read and its often hard for them to read us. They tend to be very careful when with someone they don't know well and may not give a lot of feedback in a teaching situation. But they are listening and evaluating all the same. She obviously was interested and taking in what you had to offer. She even cared enough to let you know that she is now looking at what you two were working on and is engaged with the subject. Good for you and for her. I think you both will enjoy that range time a great  deal.   

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 11:03:33 AM »
I would say you did indeed do well. Teens are hard to read and its often hard for them to read us. They tend to be very careful when with someone they don't know well and may not give a lot of feedback in a teaching situation. But they are listening and evaluating all the same. She obviously was interested and taking in what you had to offer. She even cared enough to let you know that she is now looking at what you two were working on and is engaged with the subject. Good for you and for her. I think you both will enjoy that range time a great  deal.   
Thanks! I have no doubt she will be pretty good on the range and have a blast (pun intended). :)

I have also suggested she enter a essay contest that requires her to write an essay about what Liberty means to her. It could win her a custom .22 rifle but more importantly this would require her to think about something important and write it down which is something she struggles with frequently. Let's see what and how she does.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan