< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: shooting range close to elkhorn  (Read 1108 times)

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
shooting range close to elkhorn
« on: January 04, 2017, 02:02:23 PM »
I moved to Elkhorn awhile back and would like to find a place to shoot that isn't too far.  ENGC looks good and I'll probably be joining it at some point, but it's a good 45 minutes or so according to mapquest, and I'd like to find something closer in addition to it.  The one in Wahoo (if it still exists) does not appear to be much closer, and information about it is a little sketchy. 

I know about the indoor range in Waterloo and will probably be using it from time to time but I'm looking for an outdoor range.

How does one go about finding out which if any government-owned land can be used for target shooting?  You'd think if hunting is allowed target shooting would be allowed too, but I'm guessing that's not necessarily the case.  My experience in dealing with bureaucrats is that if I call or email one the information I get might or might not be accurate.  So is there a source for this information I can be sure is accurate?
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: shooting range close to elkhorn
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 03:52:08 PM »
I don't remember the actual title, but Game and Parks has a publication that lists land open to hunting, both private lands opened up for public access hunting and public land.  When you look at the descriptions for the Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) it will say if there are shooting restrictions.  Generally speaking shooting was allowed anywhere that wasn't listed as not.  You may find some are seasonal (like Memphis SRA was the last time looked)  It depends on the property size, shape, and terrain as to what types of firearms and / or shooting you may engage in safely.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 04:28:54 PM »
Maybe get to know some local Farmers, you might be surprised if you approach them correctly.  Just an idea. 

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 06:24:04 PM »
Last I knew, Two Rivers is on the G&P's list to add a range at, but I'm pretty sure it's a ways off.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline stroked

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 09:30:38 PM »
I live in Bennington and haven't found anywhere other than ENGC for outdoor ranges. I believe there is one around Missouri Valley but that is quite a drive too.

I will say The Marksman is nice though. I have been a few times and had good experiences every time.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 01:31:44 PM »
I live in Bennington and haven't found anywhere other than ENGC for outdoor ranges. I believe there is one around Missouri Valley but that is quite a drive too.
The Council Bluffs Rifle & Pistol club has a 200 yard range about 6 miles northeast of Crescent. That's closer than Missouri Valley but no closer than ENGC.

Initiation and dues for the Council Bluffs club are $75 each which is cheaper than ENGC. If there is a waiting list for membership, it's short. They have a busy schedule with a match nearly every Sunday from March through November. Their web site is www.cbr-pc.org.