< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: LET THE PANIC BEGIN!!  (Read 2191 times)

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
LET THE PANIC BEGIN!!
« on: January 13, 2017, 02:35:59 PM »
LET THE PANIC BEGIN.

everyone knows there is going to be a ice storm sunday, you have all day saturday to go to the store, buy everything that you need. if you have a propane BBQ.. make sure your propane tank is full, so you can cook in case the power goes out. mabye new flashlight batterys, .. just think, and get what ever you need,
 then STAY HOME sunday. there is nothing out there you need that bad,, I really dont want to read someone got in a wreck or hurt, outside because they were doing something that wasnt needed,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: LET THE PANIC BEGIN!!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 04:12:16 PM »
 NRA Endowment member

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 04:51:23 PM »
LET THE PANIC BEGIN.

everyone knows there is going to be a ice storm sunday, you have all day saturday to go to the store, buy everything that you need. if you have a propane BBQ.. make sure your propane tank is full, so you can cook in case the power goes out. mabye new flashlight batterys, .. just think, and get what ever you need,
 then STAY HOME sunday. there is nothing out there you need that bad,, I really dont want to read someone got in a wreck or hurt, outside because they were doing something that wasnt needed,
Deer sausage, smoked pork, couple steaks, propane grill, bourbon.  I might actually gain weight if I'm not careful.  Lol

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 12:49:36 PM »
The wife and I went to the store late Saturday night because we didn't feel the need to fight the crowds and easily got the essentials we needed to stock up on. What was funny is what people had bought out at the store. Bottled water I get, sort of. I have gallon jugs in the basement that we will fill if the power goes out. But things like pudding cups and chips were sold out while meats and canned veggies were not, except for kidney beans. Apparently there were a lot of people planning on making veggie chili. I say veggie because there was a LOT of ground beef and other meats on the shelves.

With that said, what are your stocking-for-the-storm items?
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 01:57:08 PM »
The wife and I went to the store late Saturday night because we didn't feel the need to fight the crowds and easily got the essentials we needed to stock up on. What was funny is what people had bought out at the store. Bottled water I get, sort of. I have gallon jugs in the basement that we will fill if the power goes out. But things like pudding cups and chips were sold out while meats and canned veggies were not, except for kidney beans. Apparently there were a lot of people planning on making veggie chili. I say veggie because there was a LOT of ground beef and other meats on the shelves.

I don't really buy into the stocking up for a storm, it's not like we live 40 miles from stores. Power going out concerns me more. 

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 02:05:34 PM »

I did my usual wednesday grocery shopping. did get 100 pounds of dog food.. puppies sure eat a lot.

as far as water, you always have 30 to 60 gallons in your water heater,, SHUT OFF THE POWER  to it, even if power is off,, then open hot water in sink that's higher than the water heater,, then just use the valve on the bottom to fill what you need,
 NRA Endowment member

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 02:31:48 PM »
Six years ago I bought a 3KW standby gasoline generator.  Wired my power panel for it.
Five years ago I sold my house and we moved into an apartment.
I have never touched that generator.  No gas, no oil.  Nothing.  It has just set in my garage downstairs ... waiting.   Really can't use it because I can't modify the power panel in this apt to accept standby power.

For $300 anyone can pick it up and take it home.

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 10:56:32 AM »
I don't really buy into the stocking up for a storm, it's not like we live 40 miles from stores. Power going out concerns me more.

only thing we picked up was a 5 gal gas can worth of gas, loaf of bread gal of milk.  we lost power a few years back and the sump pump alarm went off.  so off to lowes i went and bought a good sized generator. lowes was out of power too but their employees were at the front door taking people to what they needed with flashlights, and making out hand written receipt. so power loss is no longer an issue.  i should wire the fuse box for standby like gray but i just use lots of ext-cords. to the 2x frig and 1x freezers and sump pump and a spare if we need the hot plate to cook on.
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 11:01:12 AM »
only thing we picked up was a 5 gal gas can worth of gas, loaf of bread gal of milk.  we lost power a few years back and the sump pump alarm went off.  so off to lowes i went and bought a good sized generator. lowes was out of power too but their employees were at the front door taking people to what they needed with flashlights, and making out hand written receipt. so power loss is no longer an issue.  i should wire the fuse box for standby like gray but i just use lots of ext-cords. to the 2x frig and 1x freezers and sump pump and a spare if we need the hot plate to cook on.
If you use extension cords temporarily, make sure they're 12 gauge copper.  Light gauge cords have an annoying tendency to heat up. ;)