< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Minnesota Concealed Carry  (Read 3602 times)

Offline chinaclipper

• Forum Member
Minnesota Concealed Carry
« on: January 21, 2017, 12:15:28 PM »
OK so we lost concealed carry for Minnesota. I understand that. What do we have to do as Nebraska concealed carry users to get our certificate recognized  by Minnesota? is it more education? Is it different classroom/field training? What is it and how/what can we do?  Do we have to/should we
completely re-designed the way that we instruct and field train those who receive our concealed carry permit? I travel to Minnesota so I'd appreciate the ability to carry legally when I do. I do not want to have to be told to "get a Minnesota permit". That isn't going to work and we know it.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Minnesota Concealed Carry
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 01:00:41 PM »
What are you talking about?    When did we lose Minnesota?   You can't lose something you never had.  I don't recall Minnesota ever honoring the Nebraska permit.   The Utah permit used to be honored by Minnesota and is no longer.

We would like to have that recognition, that isn't the issue.   Please explain why you don't want to be told to get a Minnesota permit but you find it completely acceptable to impose additional restrictions to all Nebraskans seeking a CHP.   

You say "That isn't going to work and we know it."  What are you talking about?  Why isn't that going to work?   The current situation isn't right, but I won't support additional restrictions in Nebraska just because you don't want to deal with Minnesota.  Your question should be directed to Minnesota and asking them when they will support more freedom than to advocate for more restrictions in Nebraska.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 02:09:39 PM »
OK so we lost concealed carry for Minnesota. I understand that. What do we have to do as Nebraska concealed carry users to get our certificate recognized  by Minnesota? is it more education? Is it different classroom/field training? What is it and how/what can we do?  Do we have to/should we
completely re-designed the way that we instruct and field train those who receive our concealed carry permit? I travel to Minnesota so I'd appreciate the ability to carry legally when I do. I do not want to have to be told to "get a Minnesota permit". That isn't going to work and we know it.

The Utah permit is not longer recognized in Minnesota... Nebraska's has never been accepted.  If I recall correctly, the reason is that Nebraska does not require a minimum number of hours of training.  We are only required to take the amount of time necessary to complete the required objectives. 

It seems rather unlikely that there will be major revision to the Concealed Carry Act in Nebraska due to Minnesota's non-recognition of our permit.  I guess you might keep your fingers crossed (and contact your representatives in Washington) for national reciprocity. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 08:46:55 PM »
What is so hard about getting a non resident Minnesota permit?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 10:55:06 AM »
[quote]What is so hard about getting a non resident Minnesota permit? [/quote]

Once the question wuz raised, I hadda go look it up:

========================================

Minnesota Concealed Carry Permit Information
Concealed Permit
:

Shall Issue to Residents and Non-Residents

Issuing Authority:
The issuing authority is the local chief of police or the county sheriff.   Non-residents may apply to any Minnesota county sheriff.

Out Of State Permit Issue:
Yes

NICS check:
Yes

Permit Valid For:

New and renewal permits are valid for five (5) years from the date of issuance. Emergency permits are valid for 30 days.

Permit Issued Timeline:

The county sheriff must either issue or deny a permit within 30 days of the application date.

Cost:
The fee for a new permit to carry will be determined by the county sheriff, not to exceed $100. A fee for a renewal permit (applied for before the expiration date of a current permit to carry) will be determined by the county sheriff, not to exceed $75. An additional $10.00 fee will be charged for those applying for a renewal after the expiration date on the previous permit, but within 30 days of that expiration date.

Requirements:

1. Must be at least 21 years of age
2. Must complete an application form
3. Must not be prohibited from possessing a firearm under Minnesota Statute 624.714
4. Must not be listed in the criminal gang investigation system
5. Must be a resident of the county from which you are requesting a permit, if you reside in Minnesota. Non-residents may apply to any Minnesota county sheriff.
6. Must provide certificate of completed authorized firearms training. Training by a certified instructor and completed within one year of an original or renewal application. (624.714, Subd. 2a)

Required Documents:
1. Completed application
2. Copy of your training certificate
3. Copy of your driver’s license
4. State ID Card or Passport photo
5. Application Fee
==========================================

Not too bad, for all that.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 01:28:23 PM »

Concealed Permit
:

Issuing Authority:
The issuing authority is the local chief of police or the county sheriff.   Non-residents may apply to any Minnesota county sheriff.

Yes

NICS check:
Yes

Permit Valid For:

New and renewal permits are valid for five (5) years from the date of issuance. Emergency permits are valid for 30 days.

Permit Issued Timeline:

The county sheriff must either issue or deny a permit within 30 days of the application date.

Cost:
The fee for a new permit to carry will be determined by the county sheriff, not to exceed $100. A fee for a renewal permit (applied for before the expiration date of a current permit to carry) will be determined by the county sheriff, not to exceed $75. An additional $10.00 fee will be charged for those applying for a renewal after the expiration date on the previous permit, but within 30 days of that expiration date.

Requirements:

3. Must not be prohibited from possessing a firearm under Minnesota Statute 624.714
5. Must be a resident of the county from which you are requesting a permit, if you reside in Minnesota. Non-residents may apply to any Minnesota county sheriff.
6. Must provide certificate of completed authorized firearms training. Training by a certified instructor and completed within one year of an original or renewal application. (624.714, Subd. 2a)

Required Documents:
1. Completed application
5. Application Fee

sfg
Now that begs the question, how much different is their course than Ne?   And does anyone around here teach it? What do all the folks from around here that go to Minny to fish, hunt and camp do? Leave it at home or keep it in their vehicle?  I know a guy that goes black bear hunting up there but we've never discussed that part before. 

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 06:12:52 PM »

Concealed Permit
:

Issuing Authority:

Yes

NICS check:
Yes

Permit Valid For:

Permit Issued Timeline:

Cost:

Requirements:

Required Documents:
1. Completed application
5. Application Fee

sfg
So the biggest restraint in getting it is that you have to have training approved by MN correct?

I knew you had to apply in person.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 07:16:38 PM »
According to the Nebraska Shooters website, they are the only ones in Nebraska that offer the Minnesota class... don't know if that's accurate, but at least it's a place to start if you have questions:
https://www.nebraskashooters.com/classes/concealedcarry/minnesota/
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 07:19:37 PM »
You have to take a class by an approved MN Instructor, and you have to go apply in PERSON at any Sheriffs office in MN. I did it last year, what a joke..... Was not even fingerprinted or photographed.... So didn't quite understand why I had to go there in person to apply, other than for them to just make it complicated.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 08:22:13 PM »
You have to take a class by an approved MN Instructor, and you have to go apply in PERSON at any Sheriffs office in MN. I did it last year, what a joke..... Was not even fingerprinted or photographed.... So didn't quite understand why I had to go there in person to apply, other than for them to just make it complicated.
You took your class in Minnesota?

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 08:29:54 PM »
You took your class in Minnesota?

yes I have a friend that is a Instructor in MN, so that worked out well for me. I looked into teaching MN classes as well, but just not going to do it at this time.

Sounds like that one group mentioned above is doing it, so that is handy for NE folks... Although I personally won't have anything to do with that group due to my previous experience with them

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 09:24:07 AM »
National reciprocity will probably make this discussion moot.  Depending on how it's done of course.  So depending on how urgent it is to go to Minnesota in the immediate future, it might be worth waiting and seeing before paying for another class.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 09:26:07 AM »
National reciprocity will probably make this discussion moot.  Depending on how it's done of course.  So depending on how urgent it is to go to Minnesota in the immediate future, it might be worth waiting and seeing before paying for another class.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 11:07:55 AM »
National reciprocity will probably make this discussion moot.  Depending on how it's done of course.  ....
National reciprocity  would, eventually,  require national standardized training.  One course content and shooting test mandatory for all states.  That's both good and bad.  Good because it reduces the 50 sources of roadblocks to the 2A to just one.  Bad, because it gives the #Alt-Left just one target in their quest to set the bar of access to that which "shall not be infringed" so high that it is unaccessible.

With control of both houses, the white house and, hopefully, being able to put one or more conservatives on the SCOTUS we may have an opportunity to enact an amendment to the BoR that defines the 2A as giving everyone in the nation Constitutional Carry.  No license or permit needed to buy, carry or use any firearm, and no restraint of trade in the manufacture and sale of arms and ammunition.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 05:36:54 PM »
... we may have an opportunity to enact an amendment to the BoR ...
Amendments to the constitution also require ratification by at least three quarters of the states. Altogether, there have been 33 amendments that passed Congress but only 27 have been ratified. The equal rights amendment is the most recent example of one that came up short during ratification.

Altering the constitution is something to be done rarely, as a last resort to fix a basic structural problem, and after much careful thought. Prohibition is a example of the kind of issue that should never be raised to the level of a constitutional amendment. The last thing we want is a constitutional convention. The leftists would have a field day. It would be like opening the door to the chicken coop when the foxes are just outside and waiting to get in.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 11:34:40 PM »
National reciprocity  would, eventually,  require national standardized training.  One course content and shooting test mandatory for all states.  That's both good and bad.  Good because it reduces the 50 sources of roadblocks to the 2A to just one.  Bad, because it gives the #Alt-Left just one target in their quest to set the bar of access to that which "shall not be infringed" so high that it is unaccessible.

With control of both houses, the white house and, hopefully, being able to put one or more conservatives on the SCOTUS we may have an opportunity to enact an amendment to the BoR that defines the 2A as giving everyone in the nation Constitutional Carry.  No license or permit needed to buy, carry or use any firearm, and no restraint of trade in the manufacture and sale of arms and ammunition.

There is already an amendment that gives everyone a right to have a gun and carry it my friend: it's the 2nd Amendment.  What we need is a federal court filled with judges who will obey the law.  As long as we have judges who will not, another amendment won't make any difference. 

There might be one exception though; here's my idea:
Amendment XXVIII:
Interpretation of the Constitution shall be based solely in the original intent of its authors.  Any judge giving an opinion or voting based on any other criteria shall be removed from office, and shall serve not less than ten years in a federal prison, thereafter never being able to hold any government office for the remainder of his or her life.  This amendment shall be retroactive, and shall apply to decisions that have been made by judges now sitting.

Who makes the decision of whether or not this law has been upheld and how it's decided is problematic, but I think a way could be found to do it.

National reciprocity does not have to have any uniform code for training or anything else, though there is little doubt the enemy of freedom will try to work one in.  What the law should say is that every state shall give full faith and credit to any carry license issued by any other state, period.  How the law ends up being written will show us how many RINOs mistakenly got elected to Congress, so they can hopefully be removed in the next election, and replaced by loyal Americans who will obey the oath they swear to support and defend the Constitution. 

Even this is an imperfect and hopefully temporary fix, that will be better than what we have until there are enough loyal Americans on the Court that no license at all is required, as the law makes clear (with the words shall not be infringed).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:43:00 AM by depserv »
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline PhilK

• NFOA Full Member
  • xxx
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 08:53:04 PM »
I took my Minnesota "training" in October 2015:  http://www.rivervalleytraining.com/

The change in Minnesota law was that for reciprocity, the other state's permit requirements had to be "substantially similar" to Minnesota instead of "similar".

The local's take on it was that they lobbied for the change so they could have reciprocity with North Dakota, but it backfired when the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, Bureau of Criminal Apprehension decided that "substantially similar permit requirements" required a much closer match in requirements than "similar requirements".

The devil is in the details and, sadly, in those implementing the details.   >:D

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 02:04:18 PM »
The reason Minnesota does not recognize Nebraska's permit is more political than about the law. The person that must approve recognition in Minnesota is strongly anti gun and they actively look for reasons not to recognize someone's permit. For Nebraskans it has to do with differences in the law on how you can get your rights reinstated being different than Minnesota's, so it is about who can legally posses a firearm that makes the difference not anything with CHP training etc.

Offline rudy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 08:53:42 AM »
The short answer is that you have to get a MN nonresident permit. I hold one. The most annoying part of the deal is having to apply in person; however, as a nonresident, you can apply in any county.

As for the class, it has to be given by an instructor that has been trained by a business approved by the Minnesota bureau of criminal apprehension. Approved organizations can be found here: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Pages/firearms-instructor-locator.aspx not all are in MN. No approved busonessrs in NE, but some in IA. While I have never taken one of his classes, Paul Horvick is MN certified and sometimes holds classes in NE. When I was looking for a MN class in NE a few years back, he had one on the schedule, but the timing didn't work out for me. His website is http://shootingsafely.com There may be other MN approved trainers in NE, too, but I do not know of any.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 06:23:18 PM »
Post de Facto laws are unconstitutional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk