< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: wooooohooooo ALLO Fiber!  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
wooooohooooo ALLO Fiber!
« on: January 28, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »
Was worth the wait  8)

wireless speed test

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
Re: wooooohooooo ALLO Fiber!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 02:09:56 PM »
Grats! That is some tasty speeds you have there. I am quite jealous now.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 05:01:18 PM »
Still waiting for my install date. Seems like you can't beat the price either.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 06:20:08 PM »
Was worth the wait  8)

wireless speed test

All you guys stink, (Says the guy who still only can get 3 meg DSL)  And has no other options. lol
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 06:25:07 PM by Les »

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 08:57:10 PM »
I'm paying $39/mo from TWC for what is supposed to be 25Mb/s bandwidth, but it rarely goes over 18 mb/s, or 75% of advertised.   Taking over, Spectrum is offering a bundle for $99 that includes a 60Mb connection, a useless VOIP phone and some cable TV channels.   We quit cable TV years ago because it is worthless.  Paying money to watch 20-30-40 and 50 year old TV shoes and movies?  Obscene.  I plugged in a digital antenna with an amplifier and get 21 local OTA channels.  News, weather and golden oldies.  Enough for me.

Allo won't be west of 40th at Pine Lake for another year or two, and even  then their 20Mb/s connection will cost $45/mo, which is NO bargin.  NelNet bought Allo a year ago and it looks like they are price colluding with Spectrum.  If I want 100Mb/s it will cost $65/mo.  If I were to buy the 1Gb/s service for $90/mo I'd need to buy a faster  Ethernet card and/or faster wifi.  802.g only does 54Mb/s and 802.n does 300Mb/s

So I guess I am stuck in the grass.   :'(

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 08:14:09 AM »
I'm paying $39/mo from TWC for what is supposed to be 25Mb/s bandwidth, but it rarely goes over 18 mb/s, or 75% of advertised.   Taking over, Spectrum is offering a bundle for $99 that includes a 60Mb connection, a useless VOIP phone and some cable TV channels.   We quit cable TV years ago because it is worthless.  Paying money to watch 20-30-40 and 50 year old TV shoes and movies?  Obscene.  I plugged in a digital antenna with an amplifier and get 21 local OTA channels.  News, weather and golden oldies.  Enough for me.

Allo won't be west of 40th at Pine Lake for another year or two, and even  then their 20Mb/s connection will cost $45/mo, which is NO bargin.  NelNet bought Allo a year ago and it looks like they are price colluding with Spectrum.  If I want 100Mb/s it will cost $65/mo.  If I were to buy the 1Gb/s service for $90/mo I'd need to buy a faster  Ethernet card and/or faster wifi.  802.g only does 54Mb/s and 802.n does 300Mb/s

So I guess I am stuck in the grass.   :'(
Wow, you guys have a lot of options! In Omaha it is Cox or CenturyLink, and in most areas it is just Cox, and Cox just announced a 1TB monthly data limit for all tiers. Go over and it is $50/GB. On top of that for the people who were using more than that because of big families or having "cut the cord" and streaming all thier TV shows, there is no way to pay for a higher limit. Glad I don't have to deal with that right now.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 10:16:27 AM »
A 1TB cap would still allow a person to watch eight moves of three  hrs in length for each day for 30 days.   I frequently download Linux ISO files of 1-2Gb in length for testing purposes and have never come close to 1TB of download.

My AT&T cap is 40Gb for six lines.  My wife rarely exceeds 250Mb and I rarely exceed 500Mb.   My two grandsons, however, msg thousands of times a month and watch YouTube videos and play online games.  Combined, they frequently hit 35Gb or more!

But 1TB would require downloading some corporate or Fed database...

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 12:29:56 AM »
 yea try living out in the country.. im on dialup. I cant even get 1k,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 12:31:27 AM »
     we still got wires on poles with glass insulators
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 08:25:48 AM »
Even Hughes Internet is better than that.

Offline Opusnbill7

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 09:49:28 PM »
Jealous!  Might switch to Spectrum if they ever go all digital for TV (had too many problems with their analog channels before).  Right now on Kinetic and it's not bad.  I think they're adding a new "box" nearby, so hoping maybe I'll be able to get a little better speed/more HD channels at once at least until Allo is available in a few years.  Outside of maybe Air Park, I'll probably be last, since I'm in an older neighborhood, but diametrically opposed from where they started.

Offline icephreaq

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 06:57:51 AM »
I too have Allo. I usually get 300-400 down over wifi and 900-970 on my wired connections. You can't beat fiber [emoji13]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 07:01:49 AM by icephreaq »