< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: LB-68  (Read 7962 times)

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
LB-68
« on: February 02, 2017, 11:05:51 AM »
I sent my state senator, Robert Hilkemann, an email asking him to support this bill and this is the response I received the next day:

"Thank you for contacting me. I supported this measure last year. It is opposed by our local police union. Last year it had the support of Mayor Stothert, this year she is not taking a position on the measure. I will keep your thoughts in mind as we consider this issue again this year.

Sincerely,

Senator Robert Hilkemann
District 4
Nebraska Legislature
(402) 471-2621" 

It looks like a decent response, though lukewarm.  Maybe we can get this passed this time.  With 31 Republicans and one Libertarian versus 15 Democrats I don't see how it can't pass (unless all the Democrats are anti-gun and a substantial number of Republicans are RINOs).
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
Re: LB-68
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 11:49:01 AM »
I sent my state senator, Robert Hilkemann, an email asking him to support this bill and this is the response I received the next day:

"Thank you for contacting me. I supported this measure last year. It is opposed by our local police union. Last year it had the support of Mayor Stothert, this year she is not taking a position on the measure. I will keep your thoughts in mind as we consider this issue again this year.

Sincerely,

Senator Robert Hilkemann
District 4
Nebraska Legislature
(402) 471-2621" 

It looks like a decent response, though lukewarm.  Maybe we can get this passed this time.  With 31 Republicans and one Libertarian versus 15 Democrats I don't see how it can't pass (unless all the Democrats are anti-gun and a substantial number of Republicans are RINOs).
Thanks for posting this. I am sure Stothert is neutral because of the election this year. Unfortunately there are quite a few RINOs and even worse, people who will NOT stand up to Chambers, so it can be hard to shutdown the stall tactics that will be used to block the vote.

This is not an issue that is specific to just Omaha or Lincoln. I believe, others here have better information than I, that there are even communities out west that have "funky" laws that which put someone at risk because they have no way of knowing about them as they travel through the state. Once we have the laws set evenly across the whole state we can then begin to work to take back our rights and get things like constitutional carry firmly protected in this state.

We need everyone to put forth a lot of effort to contact their state senators and get others to do the same so that there is lots of pressure from the voters to make sure this state has equal laws everywhere.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline bennysdad

• NFOA-PAF Lobbyist, NFOA-PAF Website Content
  • NFOA Full Member
  • An Armed Society Is A Polite Society – Robert Hein
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 12:01:32 PM »
LB68

This is the answer that I received from Sen. Hilkemann.

Thank you for contacting me.  I supported this measure last year.  It is opposed by our local police union.  Last year it had the support of Mayor Stothert, this year she is not taking a position on the measure.  We will see how this one plays out if it reaches the floor for debate. 

Senator Robert Hilkemann
District 4
Nebraska Legislature
(402) 471-2621

It must be a rubber stamp answer.
“In a democracy, citizens are supposed to act as partners in enforcing laws. Those forced to follow rules without being trusted even for a moment are, in fact, slaves.” by Jaron Lanier

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 03:30:03 PM »
I think the Mayor remaining neutral this year has more to do with the City Council coming out against it rather than not taking a stance like they did 2 years ago (last session).

Offline bluebird

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 09:12:26 PM »
I would like to ask my senator to support this bill. What information should one supply in an email or snail mail letter to voice support for a bill? I'm guessing residential address would serve as evidence that you're a voter in that district. Anything else?

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 11:01:51 PM »
Bluebird, yes including your address is a good idea when writing yourSenator. A good letter is usually short, simply I ask you to support this bill. If you have a personal story of how you personally are effected it is also good to share that info, but keep it short. Most of the letters simply get marked as a note that x number of constituents contacted supporting and y opposed, but a good short story usually gets brought to the Senators attention and they may use it during floor debate if they agree with your position.

Offline bluebird

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 09:29:04 PM »
Thanks AAllen.

I sent a letter through snail mail.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 09:06:25 AM »
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 09:20:54 AM »
yea I saw that too the NRAILA sent it out just the other day as as an E-mail alert
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:24:28 AM by Phantom »
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline TwoSwords

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 07:25:38 PM »
MP3 of the Hearing.  I attended so you didn't have to.     :)

There was a long line of the anti's who spoke.  3hrs for your listening pleasure.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18404140/CCW/NE/LB68_Hearinig_Room_1507_Feb_2017.mp3

Save and spread before the cease and Desist order comes down.

http://www.neccw.com  $80 for NE/UT

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 07:56:49 AM »
"Save and spread before the cease and Desist order comes down."

Huh ????   The hearing and associated comments are public record.  The written transcripts will be available in about 2 weeks as well.

[/quote]

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 08:17:01 PM »
Mines democrat Matt Hansen.  Andybody know if he's taken a position on firearms laws?
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline TwoSwords

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 07:43:15 PM »
Pulled this quote from Floor debate transcript early on.

If the gang violence is so bad, sounds like your laws are not working now. Time to change them.

http://www.nebraskalegislature.gov/FloorDocs/105/PDF/Transcripts/FloorDebate/r1day8.pdf

SENATOR MORFELD:
The laws that this bill would preempt would take away the city's ability, and the counties now in the new version of the bill as compared to two years ago, it would take away their ability to combat gang violence in most cases.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 09:20:36 PM »
If the gang violence is so bad, sounds like your laws are not working now. Time to change them.
I believe you summed it up perfectly.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 09:41:30 PM »
I would simply ask Senator Morfield what is more important, the rights of the all the citizens of Nebraska or criminals, I think the police in other States don't have a problem catching the criminals without violating the rights of law abiding citizens....

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 10:36:17 AM »
Committee changes now make Omaha "like traveling through other states" on restrictions to NON-CHP holders.  And they wonder why I don't go to Omaha and I have a CHP.

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 11:15:35 AM »
We need to get this amended, handguns I'm fine with a locked case, but long guns should just be cased....

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 04:41:40 PM »
i don't think any gun should HAVE to be in a case unless your following game and parks / your out hunting ...

Neb is open carry ..they trying to trim it down to only those on foot get to "OC" ?
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 09:19:35 PM »
We need to get this amended, handguns I'm fine with a locked case, but long guns should just be cased....
How many of us have lockable cases? At home, I have one box with a push button combination lock. On the way to the range, it's a range bag, an old laptop computer case, or a handgun pocket. My only reason to buy a lockable case would be to check a firearm with an airline.

Whether it's a long gun or short, unloaded in a closed, latched case not concealed on your body should be sufficient protection for police officers during traffic stops. If they can't get their own guns out in the time it takes me to open a case, grab the gun inside and load it, they aren't qualified to do the job.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 08:40:45 AM »
It looks like this bill is in danger of going totally south for us. I am sidelined on this due to having Patty Pansing-Brooks as a rep. She has never seen a gun ban she didn't support. She was even talking about a total assault weapons ban for the state this last fall prior to the election. Hope the bill is dumped if this amendment is added. Too bad after all the work and hopes this time around.