< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: LB-68  (Read 7961 times)

Offline cz75shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: LB-68
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 10:04:03 AM »
How many of us have lockable cases? At home, I have one box with a push button combination lock. On the way to the range, it's a range bag, an old laptop computer case, or a handgun pocket. My only reason to buy a lockable case would be to check a firearm with an airline.

My range bag and pistol rugs have lockable zippers. I got in the habit of using those in CA because it was the law, and still do so on the off chance I were to get distracted between the front door and the gun safe when I come home from shooting. In practice, these are more secure than a lot of hard gun cases. Easier to break cheap plastic than tear through padded Cordura if you were trying to access the gun in a hurry.

(In any case, this is the primary reason I got my CHP. Without it, just owning/transporting guns in Omaha seemed dicey.)

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 01:07:20 PM »
Many of you have seen the amendment on LB-68.  The Board is discussing this amendment and we will be meeting with those involved in the crafting of it. The  purpose of the meeting is to conduct some fact finding.  We have several concerns that it does not reflect the intention of State Preemption. We will keep you, the members, up to date. 
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 09:10:03 PM »
The biggest point for the Board to bring out on all of this, these amendments bring out a huge burden on law abiding citizens while transporting firearms and carrying.  I would love for the OPDA to answer one simple question, will the criminal/gang elements follow these restriction, we all know the answer is no....

Offline f1fanatic

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2017, 08:43:49 AM »
Sent Kate Bolz an email this morning along with a voicemail. She was fairly week kneed about this last year but I'm hoping for a little more stomach this year. We shall see.

Offline f1fanatic

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 08:37:17 AM »
With a floor vote coming up tomorrow have the amendments in this bill diluted the original intent to the point that it would be better to let the measure die?

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2017, 09:21:14 AM »
With a floor vote coming up tomorrow have the amendments in this bill diluted the original intent to the point that it would be better to let the measure die?
The first vote will be for Cloture, meaning to end debate and move on.  If they get the 33 votes for cloture then each amendment will be debated and voted on individually.  AM630 should pass and the others are unlikely to get any real support.  If that is how things go, then we are good with the amended bill.  AM630 is the only amendment that is acceptable at this time. It's not ideal should get enough support to get the bill to pass.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 02:22:59 PM »
I got this email from my state senator:

"Thank you for writing to me about LB 68. I support the bill.

Sincerely,

Senator Robert Hilkemann
District 4
Nebraska Legislature"

Looks good to me.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 03:56:27 PM »
State Senator Matt Hansen does not.  He doesn't .

Dear Stuart,

Thank you for reaching out to my office, and for sharing your support for LB68 and LB666.  I share similar concerns to you with the amendment to LB 68, as giving out exemptions to Omaha severely undercuts the stated purpose of the law.  I have also been speaking with our local law enforcement, both police and sheriff, who had concerns on some of the local ordinances that would be eliminated - including the provision against bringing guns into the county jail.  I hope there is some area for possible compromise (there has been proposals to mirror Federal law and allow for exemptions for those traveling across the state, for example) but the bill as proposed and currently amended is not something I think I could support.

I did support LB 666, and do plan to continue to support that clarification. I will keep your thoughts in mind when the bills are on the floor of the Legislature.

State Senator Matt Hansen
District 26, State Capitol
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline Chris2

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 05:26:17 PM »
Today I received a letter from senator Geist,a response to my email.
She said she is a strong supporter of the second amendment and co-signed the bill. Also she said senator Hilgers has her full support.
Glad I voted for her.

Offline parker20

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2017, 06:33:12 AM »
so what is in this bill now. I have heard that Omaha is exempt. I've also heard it will make Omaha's or Lincoln's laws the same for the whole state.

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2017, 01:11:35 PM »
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 04:27:58 PM by StuartJ »
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline Merl

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2017, 03:40:45 PM »
so what is in this bill now. I have heard that Omaha is exempt. I've also heard it will make Omaha's or Lincoln's laws the same for the whole state.

It does not make their ordinances law for the whole state.  If it becomes law, it takes a few of the "tools" Omaha police say they need and places those into state law.  It removes all of the ordinances from Omaha, Blair and Lincoln and makes it so they can not write anymore.  It will set it so that only the State has the ability to write laws regarding the ownership or possession of firearms.  The added tools for Omaha apply only to a city of the metropolitan class which at this time is just Omaha.

Offline parker20

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2017, 08:47:38 PM »
so the amendment banning open carry in the whole state is gone

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 09:26:31 PM »
so the amendment banning open carry in the whole state is gone
I never saw an amendment that would ban open carry across the state.

Offline parker20

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2017, 03:42:28 PM »
So what were the concessions made for Omaha

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2017, 05:02:52 PM »
So what were the concessions made for Omaha
Check out amendment 630, link a couple post up.   ;D

Offline grumpy old man

• NFOA Full Member
    • Stand Up For It !
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2017, 08:48:54 PM »
I can't seem to find here or in newspapers where LB68 stands.  I contacted my state rep from 2nd district.  Never did get a response.  where is the bill at right now?
"One man with courage is a majority." Thomas Jefferson

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Manofmayhem

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2017, 08:58:09 PM »
I can't seem to find here or in newspapers where LB68 stands.  I contacted my state rep from 2nd district.  Never did get a response.  where is the bill at right now?
It was advanced 32-12. It has to go through two more rounds of debates then it goes to the governor to be signed in to law.

http://www.omaha.com/news/legislature/senators-advance-bill-that-would-end-local-gun-regulations-in/article_6bc0d5a0-1fcd-11e7-abcc-67ec9a0b8bad.html

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2017, 10:51:49 PM »
This is copied and pasted from something sent out by Two swords Training.  I think it shows just how criminal the Nebraska legislature is, and how cowardly and impotent the state Republican party is (if not outright complicit in these crimes).

Tale of two states – KS vs NE
When comparing gun rights one does not need to look far for vast differences in levels of
freedom. The Nebraska legislature can complain all they want about needing this gun law or
this part of the concealed carry law but the arguments don't hold water.
Nebraska and Kansas are states that are very similar.
Both have college towns, Lincoln contains the capital, Lawrence does not. A multitude of small
towns, surrounded by farmland. Both have large city problems. Omaha compared to Kansas
City Kansas. When looking at the gun and knife freedoms the differences become clear.

Issue Nebraska Kansas
Handgun Purchase Permits YES NO
No Concealed Carry Signs have force of law YES NO
City Handgun Registration (Omaha) YES (Omaha) NO
Switchblade carry banned YES NO
Knife Carry over 3 1/2 inches banned YES NO
Public Building Carry banned YES+ NO++
Bar Carry Banned YES NO
Possible City Open Carry Regulations YES NO
School Carry Banned YES NO
State Capital Carry Banned YES NO
College Campus Carry Banned YES NO++
Carry without a permit Banned
Constitutional Carry is allowed in Kansas YES NO
+ Per Nebraska law CCW is banned where public meetings are held.
++ Per Kansas law, public buildings must provide adequate security (Metal Detectors) or allow
licensed concealed carry, after a four exemption, period ending July 1st, 2017.
++ Starting July 1st, 2017 a four year exemption expires and Colleges Campuses must provide
adequate security (Metal Detectors) or allow concealed carry.
Why do I write all this? Because gun and knife rights can always be improved.
Are there massive problems in Kansas because of these freedoms? No.
That is what you have to point out to your Nebraska legislators.
KANSAS STATEHOUSE CARRY
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/19/kansas-law-allows-500-daily-statehouse-visitors-tocarry-concealed-handguns-starting-in-july/

http://www.twoswordstraining.com
http://www.neccw.com
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 10:56:42 PM by depserv »
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

CC

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2017, 10:47:01 AM »
Listening to Heath Mello on the radio. Against LB 68.