< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Handgun Permit Fee  (Read 2622 times)

Offline wcr

• NFOA Full Member
Handgun Permit Fee
« on: February 03, 2017, 09:55:15 AM »
Omaha World Herald, Fri. Feb 3, 2017.  Article, "Fivefold hike in handgun permit fee draws fire", page 1 and 2.  Sounds like they are proposing hiking the fee from $5 to $25.  They state the fees haven't risen with the cost.  Interesting article.  At the end of the article it stated, Earnie Chambers said, "He would be willing to raise the fee to $100".  It is such a privilege to be able to pay for a right guaranteed by the 2A and our state constitution.  Perhaps we could next start a fee for Freedom of Speech or religion.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
Re: Handgun Permit Fee
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 12:11:12 PM »
That would be LB-81. I am not surprised that Chambers would support a what amounts to an unfair tax on people who would want to either protect themselves or participate in sport shooting. It would be particularly unfair to those who want to exercise their 2A rights but do not have a income to afford a permit to do so, much like the laws in place in Omaha and other Nebraska cities.

By the way, the NFOA has gone on record against LB81 as written.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 10:55:53 PM »
Journal Star has reported this bill moved forward.

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 11:01:23 PM »
Glad I got mine last month.
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 08:01:18 AM »
Seems Like I'm Missing Something Here:

Don't we already pay substantial annual taxes to fund law enforcement organizations, including County Sheriffs, Deputies, Sheriff's Offices, Autos, Ammo, Office Supplies, Utilities, etc. and ad nauseum?

Didn't I hear recently on the radio that the Douglas County Sheriff's Office has collected million$ in seized illegal assets from perps and Bad Guys?

And we have to pay extra to exercise a right?

Sumthin' Rotten in Nebraska.

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 11:02:14 AM »
Those who impose this system on us should be the ones to pay for it.  What other rights are we forced to buy a license to exercise? 

If Ernie Chambers is ok with having to pay a fee in order to exercise a Constitutional right, how about having to buy a permit to vote?  Maybe $100 would be good, since Ernie seems ok with that amount.  That'd probably take away a lof ot Ernie's base though, so maybe he wouldn't like it. 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 11:07:47 AM »
Senator Carol Blood introduced this bill.  The rumor is Bellvue PD requested such due to the "expense" to their department.  Our (The NFOA) provided a VERY simple response ... "Send them to the Sarpy County Sheriff's Office"

Offline DarryH

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 08:30:07 AM »
If they do away with the useless registration, it would free up time and funds for other law enforcement needs. 

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 05:39:34 PM »
Although I do not agree with raising the price of the permit to the degree Blood is wanting, I agree with the permit. It isn't just for the retailers. We can require it for any sale we make to verify that the person buying from us is legal and we aren't necessarily selling into the black market. Armlist.com is a great place to find/sell firearms, but it is also leads to contact with others outside your personal circle you don't know and ca't say for certain are legal.

My $.02
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

CC

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 07:43:13 AM »
Harper V Virginia Board of Elections made poll taxes illegal because "We conclude that a State violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment whenever it makes the affluence of the voter or payment of any fee an electoral standard. Voter qualifications have no relation to wealth nor to paying or not paying this or any other tax. [Footnote 4] Our cases demonstrate that the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment restrains the States from fixing voter qualifications which invidiously discriminate. Thus, without questioning the power of a State to impose reasonable residence restrictions on the availability of the ballot"

How does this not apply to exercising the 2nd amendment?  It should be challenged as requiring a fee to exercise ones right discriminates based on ability to afford the fee.

Offline CustomSatellite

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 09:40:25 AM »
Is it just me or is there a hint of sarcasm in Chamber's Statement?

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 10:09:48 AM »
Although I do not agree with raising the price of the permit to the degree Blood is wanting, I agree with the permit. It isn't just for the retailers. We can require it for any sale we make to verify that the person buying from us is legal and we aren't necessarily selling into the black market.

My $.02

It bothers me. While I admit that it gives folks piece of mind, it does not mean that a purchaser just hasn't gotten caught or committed a crime yet. It's a known fact that universal background checks do not work.

Having us getting used to asking each other for it even when it isn't required normalizes the practice and lures us into allowing it to be always required. I don't like when private sellers are so caught up in bill of sale and signed copies. If you don't have any reason to suspect ill intent, your mind should be clear. It's not like if they have the permit you will sell anyway if they are giving a bad vibe. Everything that you sell could possibly be used for a nefarious purpose. Ask Ron Swanson:

If you think it would give you more of a legal protection, I wouldn't count on that, either.

I do agree that if public safety interests compel that we have to have them in order to participate in a right, we should not bear the burden of paying for them.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 12:21:10 PM »
For myself, the fee should only be for the cost of running the check and labor to process the paperwork. There should be no further costs added into the fee. Raising this above that is illegal and amounts to a constraint on our using our Right.

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 01:21:15 PM »
For myself, the fee should only be for the cost of running the check and labor to process the paperwork. There should be no further costs added into the fee. Raising this above that is illegal and amounts to a constraint on our using our Right.

not sure what all they do besides type in your personal info ... name , address , SSN ,etc look over the checked boxes. then check your info against a computer data base and even a 1 finger key poker can do that in a few mins .. add cost of the 1 sheet of paper / form you fill out for said info ...  sounds like they want plummer prices call a plummer to do 10 mins of work you pay for the whole hr ... 25$ is too much their BS saying they have not increased prices in years ... the work load to do said checks has got easier with computer databases over the years not harder... 
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 09:14:32 PM »
Wow, In a different forum, someone from Florida was shocked Nebraska, or any state, required a permit to buy a handgun. He said he never heard of that.

Maybe I should move to Florida. Except hurricanes cant be good for guns.
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline cz75shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 09:47:24 PM »
Wow, In a different forum, someone from Florida was shocked Nebraska, or any state, required a permit to buy a handgun. He said he never heard of that.

Maybe I should move to Florida. Except hurricanes cant be good for guns.

As a recent CA transplant, the NE system is pretty good. Every purchase in CA, gun shop or private party, long gun or handgun, has a DOJ check and 10 (really 11) day waiting period. I don't like the $5 purchase permit on principle, but it's great to be able to a) verify a private party isn't prohibited and b) sell a gun directly without FFL fees/waiting periods. (And I left before background checks for ammunition became law!)

That said, Omaha's restrictions are a bit onerous (or impossible?), but that's why I have a CHP.

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 09:59:27 AM »
When I picked up my revolver from Thunder Alley last week I had to show my drivers license, my permit and fill out a form answering the same questions I had to answer to get the permit. Seems a silly wast of time to me. Both times. I don't think a convicted felon, a wanted suspect, a mentally ill person or an illegal alien are gonna go to the sheriff's office and answer these questions truthfully. Nor are they going to buy guns in a gun shop. They're going to get them wherever the black market is in Lincoln. Don't know. Don't want to.

And I've seen the videos on how the "gun show loophole" doesn't actually exist. They run background checks.

Anyway glad I got my permit before the quintupling of the fee.
-- George Mason

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 08:48:09 AM »
They call it a handgun permit online, but the permit itself actually reads: "FIREARM PURCHASE CERTIFICATE". The first time I saw that I wondered if they planned on making it required for all gun purchases. I still think they would like too.
-- George Mason