< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Winchester Centenniel SuperX Powerpoint  (Read 838 times)

Offline npgriff

• NFOA Board of Directors
Winchester Centenniel SuperX Powerpoint
« on: February 04, 2022, 07:28:59 PM »
I have a heads up about some ammo.  This is the yellow 100th Anniversary Special Edition box that Winchester put out.  I purchased on box looking for a hotter round to work in a finicky pistol.  I shot a few rounds, then went back and purchased 3 more boxes as it seemed to work very well.  When I shot more I had multiple failure to fire rounds and many rounds that were obviously a very light load, causing failure to eject.  I do not have an exact count but the failure rate was close to 10%.  I shot several rounds out of another pistol that experienced the same problems.  I opened 3 of the failure to fire rounds and none of them had any primer.  I did not measure the powder out of  these rounds but one of them had no powder at all.  Thankfully Winchester is buying back the unfired rounds.  These were purchased at Walmart.  I cannot find the lot number that Winchester says should be on the flap but the bottom of the box is stamped with RPLR180   E134038    K7526. 

Offline DanS

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Winchester Centenniel SuperX Powerpoint
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 04:10:01 PM »
Sadly, Ive had spotty quality with Fed. Automatch 22lr ammo. Boxes of different lot numbers were either ok as far as accuracy and 'recoil', or lot number boxes contained a mixture of  weak sounding rounds, and ammo that was ok. Some of the weak sounding ammo made me stop, and safely run a bamboo skewer down the barrel of the unloaded gun, to make sure the bullet made it all the way out. I dont keep track of what company owns what ammo brands in todays market. There have been rumors of ammo manufacters needing to suppy the demand of 22 ammo 'farming out' the loading of their 22lr ammo to other companys, who then package the bulk ammo into the different companies bulk ammo boxes.

Bulk ammo is bulk ammo. I saw the Win Centenniel ammo at Walmart, saw the price, and passed. I had good performance with Win White box 333 or 555 round  types, and Rem golden bullets in the 1400 round buckets. Not saying I dont get flyers occasionally with the Rem bucket ammo, its hard to say if its me, or the quality control, as I shoot offhand with open sights mostly, but neither of the those offerings made me feel like I needed to check to see if the bullet made it down the barrel and out the end. I only shoot 36gr 22lr ammo now days. I dont put much concern if the bullet spins in the case, as far as it being 'good' ammo or not. as long as I can put 10 rounds into a 1 1/8" group at 11yds, off hand, with Smith 22a with a red dot, 5 cents a round, Im happy.

I mostly shoot a Smith Compact 22 open sights and get out the Smith 22a 5" barrel with a ADE 5moa red dot when their are bowling pins that need punished. Ive shot the Win white box and Rem bucket O bullets at the pins in the 22a, and felt like I did ok in that gun. Wish Walmart would get more Rem 1400 bucket of bullets, at $64 then $68 each. Lots of fun paper punching at under 5 cents a round. Same BoB's at Cabelas, $130 each!!!