< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Outlet for beginning shooting competitions or challenges  (Read 3362 times)

Offline Jarem08

• NFOA Full Member
Outlet for beginning shooting competitions or challenges
« on: February 06, 2017, 12:44:37 PM »
I got a Ruger 10/22 for my son to be able to use. My firearms (the ones my son calls, "Daddy's big guns  ;D" are a little too big for him to shoot. So I took him out the other day for continued education and shooting practice (he is starting to learn how to sight in a scope) and He did really good. His shooting, at about 20 yards or so, was about 5 shots in an inch group or so. While I know that this is not professional by any stretch of the imagination, for him, that was pretty amazing considering I have to help balance the front of the rifle! So my question is this, is there a place or a group or an activity that would allow him to go and not only practice with the rifle, but also be around other kids his age (with parental control of course) and get further help and learning on the rifle? He really enjoys it and while I am fostering a healthy care and respect for the firearm, I want Him to also know that it can be an enjoyable and healthy competition for shooting as well. Thanks.
Most bad government has grown out of too much government - President Thomas Jefferson

All we ask is to be let alone - President Jefferson Davis

I cannot trust a man to control others who cannot control himself - General Lee

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Outlet for beginning shooting competitions or challenges
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 01:35:25 PM »
http://outdoornebraska.gov/huntereducation/ to get a hunter education certificates
per the site : other age groups are shown but i only copy part of one group ...

Students 11 to 15 years old may obtain their hunter education certificates through a minimum 10-hour classroom course or an online course followed by a two-hour Hunt Safe Session. The student must be 11 years old to take the Hunter Education test. Nebraska Hunter Education Certificates cannot be issued to anyone under the age of 11.

you did not post his age so take note of the last line..
some classes are 2 day and some are 4 day events and are located in many areas
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline Jarem08

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 01:58:29 PM »
Your right. My apologies. He is 6 years old. I know that 11 is the youngest that they certify, so I unfortunately can't go there. I wasn't sure if there was just a group that met with their sons and allowed them to explore the shooting world in a safe format and still have that opportunity to learn with others their own age.

I know that the risks inherent in this could be insurmountable, but if the adults are firearm owners, I would hope that they were conscientious enough to know firearm safety and are teaching their kids this from the earliest age. At age three, I was already instilling in my kids that they do not go anywhere near my weapons (if I had them out cleaning) and they were not to play with my safe at all!

I have had locks on my closet to keep my children out but took it just one more step higher and bought a safe when they were starting to get very curious. With my keys hidden so they don't know where it is, I feel safer having my firearms in a readily accessible location.
Most bad government has grown out of too much government - President Thomas Jefferson

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 03:50:36 PM »
Your right. My apologies. He is 6 years old. I know that 11 is the youngest that they certify, so I unfortunately can't go there. I wasn't sure if there was just a group that met with their sons and allowed them to explore the shooting world in a safe format and still have that opportunity to learn with others their own age.

I know that the risks inherent in this could be insurmountable, but if the adults are firearm owners, I would hope that they were conscientious enough to know firearm safety and are teaching their kids this from the earliest age. At age three, I was already instilling in my kids that they do not go anywhere near my weapons (if I had them out cleaning) and they were not to play with my safe at all!

I have had locks on my closet to keep my children out but took it just one more step higher and bought a safe when they were starting to get very curious. With my keys hidden so they don't know where it is, I feel safer having my firearms in a readily accessible location.
Sounds like you're doing fine by yourself.  I know when mine were little there wasn't any group that dealt with that at that age.  Cub Scouts touched on it, but not for long and Girl scouts never dreamed of it. Hammer the safety home every chance you get.  Personally I always wanted to be hands on when it came to gun safety with my own kids.  Take the mystery out of it and you're less likely to have problems later as well.  It's not something you get out of one class, but never ends.  Just my own 2 cents. 

Offline Jarem08

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 03:58:55 PM »
Sounds like you're doing fine by yourself.  I know when mine were little there wasn't any group that dealt with that at that age.  Cub Scouts touched on it, but not for long and Girl scouts never dreamed of it. Hammer the safety home every chance you get.  Personally I always wanted to be hands on when it came to gun safety with my own kids.  Take the mystery out of it and you're less likely to have problems later as well.  It's not something you get out of one class, but never ends.  Just my own 2 cents.

Thank you. I have tried to explain everything to him as best as I can (it is fun trying to answer his questions about ballistics without going into pressures, headspacing, twists, etc  :D). I just didn't know if such a group existed and if so, where. I do want to get him involved in things when He is interested. He is getting pretty good at learning proper cleaning (albeit without chemicals) habits so I will add the solutions later. Right now, watching and even helping me when he can is exciting for him. I love watching his eyes light up when it comes time to pull the rifles out and clean them. 

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 05:41:12 PM »
Thank you. I have tried to explain everything to him as best as I can (it is fun trying to answer his questions about ballistics without going into pressures, headspacing, twists, etc  :D). I just didn't know if such a group existed and if so, where. I do want to get him involved in things when He is interested. He is getting pretty good at learning proper cleaning (albeit without chemicals) habits so I will add the solutions later. Right now, watching and even helping me when he can is exciting for him. I love watching his eyes light up when it comes time to pull the rifles out and clean them.
You might be surprised at what they can understand, normally they're quicker at picking things up than we think they are.  If he's got an interest he'll pay attention to everything good and bad.  I'm sure you realize but you are the role model.  Works for the fairer sex as well. 

Offline Jarem08

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 05:51:14 PM »
You might be surprised at what they can understand, normally they're quicker at picking things up than we think they are.  If he's got an interest he'll pay attention to everything good and bad.  I'm sure you realize but you are the role model.  Works for the fairer sex as well.

I won't argue that! Sometimes he says things that surprise me about what he has learned. The funniest part about our last shooting trip was when he hit the wooden base that we made to hold his targets. The cross beam part of the wood splintered and shot in all kinds of directions. He picked up the biggest three pieces and was proudly carrying them around! He thought it was great that the 22 could do that! It was a good teaching lesson as well.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 06:14:09 PM »
I won't argue that! Sometimes he says things that surprise me about what he has learned. The funniest part about our last shooting trip was when he hit the wooden base that we made to hold his targets. The cross beam part of the wood splintered and shot in all kinds of directions. He picked up the biggest three pieces and was proudly carrying them around! He thought it was great that the 22 could do that! It was a good teaching lesson as well.
The best part is.....you're doing this together.  Don't lose that. Makes a ton of difference.

Offline Jarem08

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 06:25:17 PM »
The best part is.....you're doing this together.  Don't lose that. Makes a ton of difference.

Yes it does. That is one thing that I love to see is his look of pure joy and excitement when he pulls the trigger! He sometimes shoots and says, "Whoa! I got it!" then repeats! It is great. Now he is talking about going hunting with me. I ask him what he wants to hunt and his answer...deer! It is great!

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 06:40:43 PM »
Yes it does. That is one thing that I love to see is his look of pure joy and excitement when he pulls the trigger! He sometimes shoots and says, "Whoa! I got it!" then repeats! It is great. Now he is talking about going hunting with me. I ask him what he wants to hunt and his answer...deer! It is great!
If you got his ear at this age you will have it always, just keep hammering about safety.  Starts young #Alwaysloaded

Offline Jarem08

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 06:46:29 PM »
If you got his ear at this age you will have it always, just keep hammering about safety.  Starts young #Alwaysloaded

Absolutely. Number one rule...the gun is always loaded. We don't even let him point his toy guns at anyone or anything. Never point at something you don't plan on killing.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 07:00:35 PM »
The Game and Parks have kids classes at both the Outdoor Ed Center in Lincoln and Heritage Park at Platte Rive Park.
Check with a local 4H group for air rifle and Smallbore options. 
Once he gets older and more ready,  the Lincoln Ikes has a CPM .22 sporter competitions once a month and as always, sling up that Ruger, add some Tech Sites and come on and join us for a Project Appleseed weekend.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 08:40:44 PM »
You're doing fine on your own. 

I can confirm that Boy Scouts (Bi Scouts) is not the place to be for any intensive shooting anymore.  Oh, and they've banned squirt gun fights at summer camp. No I'm not kidding about that.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Jarem08

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 08:48:47 AM »
The Game and Parks have kids classes at both the Outdoor Ed Center in Lincoln and Heritage Park at Platte Rive Park.
Check with a local 4H group for air rifle and Smallbore options. 
Once he gets older and more ready,  the Lincoln Ikes has a CPM .22 sporter competitions once a month and as always, sling up that Ruger, add some Tech Sites and come on and join us for a Project Appleseed weekend.

Thank you for the info. I will find out about the 4h in my area. Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it.  What age does the Appleseed  weekend require for children? Also, we go to church on Sunday, so is it possible to come just on Saturday only? Thanks.

Offline Jarem08

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 08:52:05 AM »
You're doing fine on your own. 

I can confirm that Boy Scouts (Bi Scouts) is not the place to be for any intensive shooting anymore.  Oh, and they've banned squirt gun fights at summer camp. No I'm not kidding about that.

Thank you. I am doing the best that I know how. Sometimes though you wonder. I had heard that about the boy scouts and since everything that they have done, I am not going to send my kids through that program. I have looked at other options, but none are close enough for me to be regular attendee. It is sad to think that even squirt gun fights are no longer allowed. When I was younger, the bigger the gun the better! Oh well, I guess this is the times in which we live. I had heard that they were stepping back from much of their heritage, but I had not heard about the squirt gun ban.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 02:19:36 PM »
Thank you for the info. I will find out about the 4h in my area. Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it.  What age does the Appleseed  weekend require for children? Also, we go to church on Sunday, so is it possible to come just on Saturday only? Thanks.
The age is dependent on you child's discipline and maturity.  I personally would say not till 10 ish. There is history to learn, so missing the second day, you miss part of the story.  There are one day events.  I know for certain we have a one day scheduled at the Platte River Heritage Park this year.  I recommend it for kids.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane